left turn signals and indicator stay on as soon as battery is connected - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 03-17-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Angry left turn signals and indicator stay on as soon as battery is connected

I got my 2012 DL650 really dirty the other week and so I gave it a good wash. Everything was fine but the next morning the battery was dead.

By the time I got around to messing with it I discovered the left turn signal was stuck on. Not blinking. Just steady on along with the dash indicator. As soon as I put power the bike this happens. Yesterday I poked around trying to see if anything obvious was loose or would change the behavior but nothing I do short of pulling the main fuse makes any difference.

Now I am going to take out the battery box to get better access to the wiring and check that area for shorts as well as try to examine the wiring inside the cowling. I have a wire diagram which indicates there must be a short to a black wire somewhere but that could be anywhere on the bike from front to rear.

I just thought I'd post to this forum before I got started in case anyone has any tips or words of encouragement. Of course this has to happen as soon as the weather changed and I was ready for a whole weekend of fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 03-17-2019, 01:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyacid View Post
I got my 2012 DL650 really dirty the other week and so I gave it a good wash. Everything was fine but the next morning the battery was dead.

By the time I got around to messing with it I discovered the left turn signal was stuck on. Not blinking. Just steady on along with the dash indicator. As soon as I put power the bike this happens. Yesterday I poked around trying to see if anything obvious was loose or would change the behavior but nothing I do short of pulling the main fuse makes any difference.

Now I am going to take out the battery box to get better access to the wiring and check that area for shorts as well as try to examine the wiring inside the cowling. I have a wire diagram which indicates there must be a short to a black wire somewhere but that could be anywhere on the bike from front to rear.

I just thought I'd post to this forum before I got started in case anyone has any tips or words of encouragement. Of course this has to happen as soon as the weather changed and I was ready for a whole weekend of fun.
I'm seeing, in your report, some seemingly contradictory (or at least puzzling) observations. You say the battery went dead overnight, but presumably the ignition was off. Per your "left signal was stuck on ... as soon as [you] power the bike", it would seem that the overnight power drain was not the turn signal. So, either the symptoms have been changing, your report is missing something important, or there is another faulty drain other than the errant turn signal. Can you clarify?

It would be a strange short that goes from the switched (by ignition key) DC bus to the post-switched turn signal. Given the current needed to illuminate the stock incandescent signal bulb, I do not see simple, water-borne contaminants as a likely cause. Could something metallic have been carried into the turn signal switch? (You did not pressure-wash the switches or parts of the wiring harness, surely!)

I would also point out that the wiring, between where wires are terminated, is quite waterproof. It has PCV insulation. So any short you are likely to find should be at the terminations. (There are edge cases, such as chafed-through insulation which your washing jiggled enough to produce a short which was incipient anyway, but having a couple wires do that with each other is a real stretch toward the improbable.)

You say "nothing I do short of pulling the main fuse [keeps the turn signal from misbehaving.]" Does that include pulling other fuses, individually?

As for encouragement, I can only say: Using a wiring diagram is an excellent step in your trouble-shooting process. This is probably going to be an unusual problem for which some more symptoms and experiments will be needed to sort out what has gone wrong. Do you have a DVM or continuity tester?
Big B likes this.
post #3 of 42 Old 03-17-2019, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
My theory is that something shorted out the battery after the washing. It's true that the illuminated turn signal only appeared after I changed the battery. It's tough to say what the actual cause of the battery drain was. The ignition was off and the key with me in the apartment. The garage is dark so I presume I'd see any lights that were stuck on when I put it away. After I replaced the battery everything seemed fine until I took it for a short ride. I discovered the illuminated turn signal when I returned after parking it for lunch.

I think you could be onto something with the turn signal switch. I did not power wash the switches or the handle bars but I did spray a lot under the front fender and on the radiator which could have splashed something up inside the switch. Wish I had checked that before I took the battery box out.

I pulled all the relays and fuses I could individually and nothing affected the stuck turn signal. I do have a multimeter but it's not much use so far as I cannot find any exposed wires to test. Just about everything is tucked away fairly well and it's obvious something is putting voltage to that black wire somewhere. I disconnected the front and rear turn signals from the wire harness to prevent them from burning up and I've been checking the turn signal indicator light on the dash to verify if anything affects the short. I've been at it for about two hours now and getting nowhere.

Thank you for the suggestion I'll take some canned air to the turn signal switch and see if anything comes out. Please let me know if anything I've explained is unclear I'd be more than happy to try again.

post #4 of 42 Old 03-17-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
One detail that I forgot to mention is the dead battery was a Ballistic solid state model and it was a very cold night. The battery was completely bricked when I found it and had to be replaced. This leaves open the possibility that the dead battery and the stuck signal are entirely unrelated.
post #5 of 42 Old 03-17-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thumbs up

another update:

Definitely something odd about the turn signal switch. I examined it closer and there is a lot more play in the mechanism than normal. Also while the right signal behaves fine, when I toggle the left turn signal both of the small headlights come on until I cancel by pressing them. This can be observed with only the battery connected and the key out. I am going to put the battery back together and focus now on the turn signal switch.

Thank you for the suggestion I think I am making progress now!
post #6 of 42 Old 03-17-2019, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

TA, Ive been through this whole DL650 wiring diagram just last week for another poster with a popping 30A main fuse.
Try THIS: Disconnect the left handlebar switch and see of the left turn signal and indicator lamps go out. The black wire in that gang connector also supplies ground to the indicator lamp, via a B;ack/White wire in that same gang connector.
Power is supplied by the #5 Signal fuse. But your issue is a partial ground. Disconnect the gang connector, let me know what happens. The diagram is right in front of me.
post #7 of 42 Old 03-17-2019, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I think I understand what you want but I can't seem to find out how to disconnect the turn signal switch. The wires are all directly soldered onto the board and the previous owner covered everything in cable wrap until it just disappears under the bike. I've got the switch mostly disassembled on the bike so I could test it with the multimeter but anything I disconnect would require a wirecutter and new soldering.

Are you suggesting I remove a fuse? I tried each one and nothing was able to turn off the turn signal.
post #8 of 42 Old 03-17-2019, 03:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
What happens when you remove the turn signal relay?

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

2015 VSTROM 650 X ABS EXP
Previous rides: 2012 KLX250S, 2006 VT1100C2, 2002 KX125, 1999 SV650, 1987 GPZ305
Bikes I wish I had: Ducati 916, Harley Road King, KTM 500 EXC, BMW R1200RT, Honda CRF1000L, BMW R75
post #9 of 42 Old 03-17-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
No change. The left turn signal stays on no matter what I do short of removing the main fuse or disconnecting the battery. If I activate the the left turn signal using the switch the tail light comes on as well as two 'running lights' in the front but not the main headlight. Canceling the signal by pressing it turns off the running lights but has no effect on the left turn signal that stays steady on no matter what.
post #10 of 42 Old 03-17-2019, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Another reason why I don't wash my bike. LOL
VSrider, Rolex and snorkie like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
electrical shortage , turn signals

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode