Locked rear brakes. - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-07-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Locked rear brakes.

I've recently developed a locked rear brake. Please read and understand the following so we don't go posting the obvious.

I started with lever adjustment. The pedal height was correct and the pivot was not seized.

Next I moved on to the caliper, which was not seized either. The slide pins were well lubricated and the piston pushed back in with ease.

After that, I tried bleeding the rear line and nothing would come from the bleeder. So no fluid is being moved past the ABS unit.

I then removed the master cylinder and checked the ports to find them clear. I then reinstalled it and still no luck. I cracked the banjo open and fluid gushed out when i depressed the brake lever. So this means the master cylinder is ok.

The brake fluid was clear and serviced on time.

The bike only has 18k miles on it.

From my research, it seems that the rear port on the abs unit is blocked. The only test I haven't done is crack the line open before the abs unit and after the master cylinder banjo. I could not imagine a hose to be clogged or collapsed more than the abs unit to be blocked.

I'm hoping someone else out there has had the same problem and can shed some light. Maybe save me from the worst here. I don't want to delete the ABS or replace it. Lose lose situation for me.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-07-2019, 11:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Yes I remember there were some threads about ABS module problems. Do a google search on stromtrooper.

I think one possible cure is to exercise the ABS multiple times. Like running the bike over wet grass or gravel and have the ABS unit activate many times. Make sure you have enough speed so the ABS activates and the bike remains stable while stabbing the brakes. Hopefully that may clear up the stuck solenoid.

If in luck do a fluid change afterwards. My procedure is:
1. Do normal fluid change front and rear.
2. Go out and exercise the ABS many times to flush old fluid out of the unit.
3. Repeat step 1.
Brockie and gdrew like this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #3 of 16 Old 02-08-2019, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
2012 650’s had some ABS pump issues, only ones I’m aware of.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #4 of 16 Old 02-08-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Thanks for the info guys. I cracked the both lines on the rear portion of the abs. the input line was free flowing, the output was not. So I guess this narrows it down....

Does the front abs activating also cycle the rear? I'll go ahead and give it a shot.
post #5 of 16 Old 02-08-2019, 02:06 PM
$tromtrooper

Sounds like you're on the right track. I would try and pump some fluid back up through the rear ABS output port. Maybe you can knock whatever is jamming the valve out.

L2 DL650 Adventure

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
miles ÷ smiles=bike.
It's simple math.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-08-2019, 05:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dravnx View Post
Sounds like you're on the right track. I would try and pump some fluid back up through the rear ABS output port. Maybe you can knock whatever is jamming the valve out.
Maybe give the assembly a few taps with a mallet or screwdriver handle. Something hard. Something that'll send some shocks through the unit without risking dents or cracks.
post #7 of 16 Old 02-08-2019, 05:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Also, have you tried pushing the piston back into the caliber? Use a c-clamp if needed. Will fluid flow in reverse? This is assuming there is room for the piston to retract.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-08-2019, 06:26 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikehigh View Post
Also, have you tried pushing the piston back into the caliber? Use a c-clamp if needed. Will fluid flow in reverse? This is assuming there is room for the piston to retract.
Good idea. Have the reservoir open and keep an eye on the fluid level when you do this.

L2 DL650 Adventure

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
miles ÷ smiles=bike.
It's simple math.
post #9 of 16 Old 02-10-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
yep. I pushed the piston back in no issue.

Thanks all for your input. when i get the chance to cycle the abs motor ill let you all know the results. unfortunately, its been rainy here.
post #10 of 16 Old 02-10-2019, 04:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1123 View Post
Quote:
yep. I pushed the piston back in no issue.

Thanks all for your input. when i get the chance to cycle the abs motor ill let you all know the results. unfortunately, its been rainy here.
Does this mean the brake is working again? If so, and if it was me, I'd take the time to flush out the brake line, if possible in reverse direction in case there's any type of debris that was blocking the input to that abs motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode