Crash bars for a DL 650 - 2013 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 01-21-2019, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Crash bars for a DL 650 - 2013

Yes, there are a lot of threads and posts on this subject (just like oil, tire, battery threads). I've read a lot of them but there seem to be few pictures showing the crash bars on the bike.

I'm looking for an affordable (yes, defined differently for different folks) system that will protect the tank/bike from harm in a tip over - i.e. dropping the bike when stopped. I think this is a realistic goal since every crash will be different, and no one crash bar will protect everything on the bike in every moderate speed get off.

In my search, I've discovered that precious few brands show a DL650 with their crash bar in a photo that gives the buyer even an inkling of the protection afforded. Many such shots are taken from a worm's eye view exaggerating how high the bars extend and almost none show a front or back view so you can tell how far out from the bike the bars protrude. In the next few days I'll call various brands and ask what damage will occur if the bike tips over with their crash bar installed. I'm not expecting a whole lot of informed information.

I found this picture in another thread discussing how good the V Stroms were as an off road bike. Can anyone identify the brand of this crash bar?

A bit of history here. I ride an ST1300 which is growing too big and too heavy for me as I get older. I just bought the bike in the title of this thread. My ST came from Honda with so called 'tip over guards', a steel frame covered by a plastic shroud that protects the bike from ANY damage if it is dropped on a flat surface. Most ST owners would agree with me that there are two kinds of owners of these bikes - those who have dropped theirs and those who will drop them. Regardless, this is the kind of protection I am seeking. Again, I must stress this is for a tip over, not a crash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-01-21 at 8.36.35 PM.jpg (392.2 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Ratchet; 01-21-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-22-2019, 04:09 AM
Stromthusiast!

Hi
I have Mastech Crash Bars on my 2013.
Seem good for price, have not tested them and hopefully never will.
Ones in photo, sorry no idea.

Harry
post #3 of 25 Old 01-22-2019, 08:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
A google image search returns a multitude of examples.
Big B likes this.

'13 GL1800
'17 DL650A

post #4 of 25 Old 01-22-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Sighhhhhhhhh. I'm beginning to get the idea.

The not so good: These guys are interested in selling things - not necessarily in protecting your bike. I talked to a 'geek' from Revzilla. Nice guy, but, when I posed the question, "If the bike is dropped in a tip over - that is, in a parking lot, and not moving forward, will the bars you sell protect the bike from damage?" Of course he did not know. Guy at T-Rex racing was the same - nice, and he tried to help but in the end he did not know. These websites make you really pull teeth to get all the specs - only a few give you all the info w/o a phone call.

The better: A 1" material for the guard will allow the fastening of standard clamps for foot pegs or aux lights or even a camera. Givi are heaviest wall. At first I was skeptical of only two mounting points but most of them have this - probably because Suzi does not provide any other suitable locations. However, some use two bolts per location and others only one.

The confusing. One post here offered that the most protection would be afforded by Touratech > Givi >SwMotech (in decreasing order). AltRider look the best and with SS will not rust, but their price, with no guarantee other than gut instinct that they afford better protection than the others makes them a dubious choice. If they were smart, they would have tested them and bragged how good they are at protecting your bike. This alone kicks them out of the running for me. T-Rex's usage of smaller than 1" is a disadvantage because I hope to attach aux lights, and perhaps foot pegs. Their diameter 20 mm, is significantly smaller and I suppose weaker than 25mm (1") and they do nothing to allay that assumption by specifying high strength steel. Puig looks less protective than the others, but this is subjective.

I'm leaning toward the Touratech or Givi, with a nod towards the latter because of price.

A summary:
Givi: (revzilla) $180; 1" tubing .095" thick Looks like two attachment points with crossbar connecting both sides.
Puig: (revzilla) $179; .083" thick Seems to have two mounting points (3 bolts per side) w, a cross bar in front. Looks lower than other brands
T-Rex Racing: $170; 20 mm tubing; Powder coated; Has two mounting points per side one of which is a thru bolt and an additional steel bar down low connecting both sides. The guard also bends around under the steering head and joins both sides together here. Excellent video of installation of these bars on their website. This video also showed the bike on its left side and how the hdpe puck holds the bike off the ground (and how their center stand helps protect the bike). They neglected to show the right side - probably because it would suffer more damage?
Altrider (revzilla) $400; Stainless steel 1" tubing; powder coated. Revzilla guy said these are the most robust - but could not say they offered any better protection than the Givi in a drop or crash. He THOUGHT they were the best..... They look great and are braced well and look fabulous, but with only two attachment points and one side to side connecting bar up front are they any better than any other at less than half the price? They also look like they do not protrude out very far from the tank nor do they extend up very high - more reason for questioning their value exp considering their high price.
Touratech - not available at this time for a '13 650.
SwMotech (revzilla) $265; 1.06" mild steel tubing (must be metric - 27mm); powder coated. out of stock. Uses two attachment points - two bolts at each plus crossbar.

And I still have to go thru this for skid plates.....
post #5 of 25 Old 01-22-2019, 04:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Crash bars on the Vstrom are not going to offer the same protection as on your Honda. It is likely your handlebars will hit the ground on your Vstrom when dropped. I’ve dropped mine with zero damage but there is always potential of bending the bars and or levers. I have Givi bars I stay on my ‘16 650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 25 Old 01-22-2019, 10:46 PM
MrF
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have the SWMotech bars on my Glee. I recall reading a post that the Glee tends to rest on the SWMotech crash bars and the rear footpeg when it falls. I haven't tested mine yet, but looking at the angles that appears to be the case. No guarantees what else it may smack before it comes to rest though.

I'd start your skid plate search now if I were you. Some brands need to attach to the crash bars, and some crash bar / skid plate combos are unworkable.
Big B likes this.

2016 V-Strom 650
post #7 of 25 Old 01-22-2019, 11:37 PM
$tromtrooper

There is no rating systems or crash worthy test for crash bars. You're way over thinking this. Any crash bar is going to protect the bike but nothing is 100%. I've bent shift levers, clutch levers, windshields, etc. but never any plastic or the gas tank.
Big B and Motorpsychology like this.

L2 DL650 Adventure

bike X miles=smiles
smiles ÷ bike=miles
miles ÷ smiles=bike.
It's simple math.
post #8 of 25 Old 01-22-2019, 11:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
What about Happy Trails engine guards? Personally I’m a huge fan of the T-Rex bars, and will likely switch over to those in the future.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #9 of 25 Old 01-23-2019, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I’ve got the OEM bars on my 650XT and they’ve been tested thoroughly. Zero damage to my bars other than scuffing/scratches or anything else on the bike, been dropped hard 4 times that I remember. 😆

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #10 of 25 Old 01-23-2019, 03:05 AM
Stromthusiast!

Givi's have also been good for me. On two DL650's now (same bars) and somewhat more than standing drops. They did need straightening at one point and didn't totally protect the bike on two spills/slides on gravel but only cosmetic damage and the bike was rideable after.
Motorpsychology likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode