Crash bars and skid plate questions - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Crash bars and skid plate questions

I want to add the two items in the title to my 13, DL650, and I've been reading a lot of the old threads and posts.

Enduro Gardian is mentioned several times but I cannot find them using a Google search. I did find a link on the adventure rider forum but the website/page is gone. Is Yann out of business? Anyone have a link to the E-G website if they still exist?

I'm leaning toward Puig crash bars - because they seem to be strong and Revzila sells them for $170. Anyone have anything bad to say about these?

There are several mentions that Touratech crash bars offer great protection. Someone said (in a post I cannot find today, but I read it yesterday) that he crashed his bike with another brand that did not offer good protection. He changed to Touratech bars and is very happy because they extend farther up and out to protect the tank. Touratech told me they do not now offer bars for the 650. Did they once upon a time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 03:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have Altrider crash bars and skid plate. Very substantial! I’ve put the skid plate to the test a few times, but haven’t really had a good test of the crash bars, other than just falling over in a gravel parking lot. They did their job then!
post #3 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Yann is out of business due to health, also consider T-Rex bars as I believe hands down best for the money out there. For some reason their site isn't showing bars for 650's other than the 17/18...but I know that not to be true as several here have them for 1st and 2nd gen 650's.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #4 of 11 Old 01-07-2019, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Doc View Post
I have Altrider crash bars and skid plate. Very substantial! I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Yann is out of business due to health, also consider T-Rex bars as I believe hands down best for the money out there.
Thank you for your replies. Neither of the two websites list engine guards/crash guards for a '13 DL650. I will call them tomrrow and ask. The T-rex looks better to me for a couple of reasons - it has that large plastic puck to help keep the bike's softer parts away from the ground, and the bar joining both sides is up high rather than down low. I think in a tip over or crash, the impact and thus most of the energy will hit the crash bars up high, and having a connection that joins both sides as close to the impact will reduce deformation (bending) of the guard.

The AltRider website has some pretty staggering prices (yes, for BMW bars) but if they don't offer one for the Suzi, it doesn't matter.

The Puig, that I was considering has the connection down low - not imho - a great enhancement to the strength of the system.

My goal here is to eliminate damage from drops (w/ the bike standing still). I don't plan on this happening but to my mind it is more likely than a crash. The damage from a crash will likely impact other parts of the bike that the engine guards do not protect. Feet hitting a oil slick at a gas station, gravel on concrete roads, potholes, etc, make stopping and dropping all the more likely, esp for a short guy like me.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-08-2019, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I contacted T-Rex and was informed they most certainly have crash bars for the previous year 650’s, their new website hasnt obviously been fully updated.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #6 of 11 Old 01-08-2019, 06:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Can’t say I care for the looks of the T-Rex bars. The way they are going through the front end of the bike looks odd to me. I would buy my Givi’s again in a heartbeat, well made and dirt cheap when ordered direct from Europe.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-08-2019, 04:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the Touratech bash guard. I have never seen crash bars offered by them. I Givi crash bars. Both have taken substantial abuse and withstood it all.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-08-2019, 08:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I also have the GIvi bars and a Givi skid plate. A good (bad?) high center probably would damage the 3mm thin aluminum, but I thought it would prevent flung stones and detritus from damaging the oil filter. Got both thru RevZilla and I would bet they have one for a '13.

"It is amazing what you can accomplish if you are not concerned with who gets the credit"- Patrick Griffin
18 wheels move the cargo, 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul -unknown
“Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” - John Muir
I visited the Air & Space Museum- didn't see a thing...
post #9 of 11 Old 01-08-2019, 11:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

The Alt Rider crash bars are pricey. But they are made from one inch stainless steel and the joint is beefed up with a solid aluminum rod inserted into the tubing and four bolts. The skid plate seems to no longer be available except on their European site. I liked the way the front of the skid plate matched the shape of the bars and bolted into the aluminum rod. No straps or U bolts.

13 DL650 Current ride
80 CX500D
77 XS360
78 XS750
76 CB360T
post #10 of 11 Old 01-13-2019, 07:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Love my alt rider crash bars..... You might enquire if they have any second's or blems.
I got $100 off on bars that look perfect to me

Bob S.
2017 Vstrom 650 Base model (White)
2017 Yamaha YZ250X (Sold)....Hopefully WR250R soon
Previous loves:
1982 Yamaha 650 Seca
1978 Honda CB550
1975 Suzuki GT380
1977 Yamaha RD400
1973 Can Am MX1 125 (bought while Mom out of town)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode