GO PRO - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-30-2018, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

GO PRO

Hi all. I got a new go pro for Christmas and was wondering about mounts , and the best place to mount for good videos etc.
I got the go pro hero 7 silver. thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-31-2018, 02:21 AM
Stromthusiast!

The answers you get will probably be more opinion and less fact as everyone has their own idea of what they like to watch.
My GoPro has been mounted on the windshield, on the crashbars and on my helmet. I prefer the helmet videos best. They are a little clearer with no vibrations and more focused on interesting things. If something interesting happens the motorcycle camera just flies right by it while the helmet camera can stay with whatever I happen to be watching. I retired the GoPro and now have a Drift Stealth. The Stealth works better on the helmet than the GoPro did, less wind drag and weight. The drag and weight are really the big drawbacks of helmet mounted cams, if you can tolerate those things the helmet mount is really good. I had the original GoPro, your Hero 7 is smaller and lighter I believe. Of the motorcycle mounts, I liked the windshield best. Vibrations sucked but it gave the best view of the road ahead.
Of course, this is mostly opinion so do what you will with it.

Last edited by hostler; 12-31-2018 at 02:29 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-31-2018, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

thanks hostler ! I appreciate your input.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-31-2018, 09:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

I had a gopro copy and had it mounted on a dash shelf. Even mounted to the left side the field of view seemed to cover everything in front of me.
Brockie, in OZ, I think has a more cylindrical camera that is powered full time in operation and records over itself as time passes.
The one I had would run 3 hours and stop and the recharge took hours.
They are neat though if only for the reason we see so many hairball events from Russia. They might cover the truth in a mishap.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-01-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

thanks notacop . never thought about the possibility of helping in a mishap. thanks ! and thank you for your input !
post #6 of 11 Old 01-01-2019, 10:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

What surprises me about some helmet mounted camera videos that get posted is how the point of view is always straight ahead. My view is always rotating like an Owls head. Not a full 360, that might hurt but side to side to take in the world.
I didn't have the camera when I was run off the road in Utah but my riding partner vouched for what happened. Then again, do I want to relive those terrifying moments? OMG, not again!
post #7 of 11 Old 01-01-2019, 11:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

It's hard to beat the human body for vibration dampening. With an expensive camera (over $100) I would not leave it on the bike - ever.

I have permanently mounted cameras both front and rear on both bikes that go on and off with the key automatically and loop five minute videos on the storage. I just didn't want to mess with them every ride and have to charge them, etc.. A helmet mount was how I initially did it and it quickly became a real pain.

I use the cameras mainly for recording crazy humans and animals. lol Cameras are frequently targeted for theft on bikes so they are all under $75 each even though the latest ones are 4K.

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS (Candy Daring Red)
2017 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 ABS (Graphite Grey)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (sold)

Last edited by SECoda; 01-01-2019 at 11:54 AM.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I installed a gopro mount clip base on my chin bar with sugru. The gopro is out of my field of view(can just see it by looking straight down), my air vent can still be opened or closed and it doesn't suffer from the issues that being top or side mounted do at freeway speeds. I like the helmet mount because it can "look" at things as I turn and the body is a good insulator from bike vibrations.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-01-2019, 02:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have a Gopro Hero 6 Black, but used to have a Gopro 2. I use them both in the same place on the bike, in the same way, and I love it!

I set the camera to take a still photo every minute, plug it in to a USB port for power, and then fasten it to the left side of the tank with a suction cup mount (and a tether to the crash bar, just in case).

I get a zillion photos, but within the pile of crap there are some gems like these. I particularly like that it captured the lovely smile from my wife after a week on (and off) the road.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heading-to-golden.jpg (349.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg home.jpg (322.2 KB, 16 views)
post #10 of 11 Old 01-04-2019, 09:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Now living in Milton, Delaware and in the winter near Sarasota, Florida
I use my GoPro5 using the spring tension clip and mount that to the top of windshield with some sponge under it. It take very smooth videos!

Ride till you tire.... Then camp under the stars!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode