Lie down time - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-10-2018, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Lie down time

Sunday on my way home from the Adelaide toy run I let my 2012 DL650 have a short lie down. I am afflicted with a common ailment,ducks disease (legs too short) and can only get the balls of my feet on the ground when stationery. This is not normally a problem on regular roads. Picture a "T" junction with stop sign, had to stop for an oncoming car, put left foot down, no contact with road, oh dear, lie down time for bike! Thankfully I let her lie down gently on the sloping road without me underneath. I momentarily tried to stop her falling over but physics and non Herculean strength prevented that. Long story short, bike stalled, me unhurt but pissed off, big effort to stand bike up. Bike with minor scars,I love oggy knobs, scraped passenger footpeg and bar end weight. Another of life's experiences I guess, maybe I should have taken my Bandit 1250 instead, my feet are flat on the ground with that bike. Early next year the Bandit will have a sidecar attached, no more falling over again.
notacop and V-Harry like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-10-2018, 04:08 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry for your miss-hap, Mike.
In have an opposite problem--now that Ive been on my '14 Vstrom1000 for almost 2 years, I'm no longer comfortable on a regular-height motorcycle. My beloved '00 Kawasaki ZRX1100, that I thought was comfortable all these years, now gives me leg cramps. Plus I'm now used to full instrumentation, ABS, TC, luggage, etc. I can no longer go back to a "regular" motorcycle.
I'd love to have a Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe...but I just know I wouldnt be comfortable on it during a long ride, so it would just sit in the garage while Im out riding the Vstrom.
i LOVE the B1250S! A smooth torque-monster, great highway flyer. I had a friend with one. His being a 6-speed, my ZRX being a 5-speed I knew it would be different. What I didnt expect was that torque, and at 80 mph his bike(we switched bikes on a ride) was taching 1000 rpm lower than mine. So smooth, so relaxed.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-10-2018, 07:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Don't you just hate those moments of realization, when you just have to jump ship. Oil at stops, down hill slope, oh look at that. Theses are just merely scars of life, and I for one have many, all my bikes have been down more than once. If'n you aren't made like Arnie, you just gott'a let go. 🏍💨
snorkie likes this.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-10-2018, 09:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Yah, the Oh Sh-t moments are a bother.
IF you haven't done sidecaring before, mind the learning curve. It's a different world out there.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-10-2018, 09:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Regarding those "gotta let it down" incidents: I've had a couple, instigated by suddenly stopping from a low speed turn. (From now on, damnit, once I've decide it's safe to go, I'll just go and maybe accelerate more if another vehicle shows up.) At that moment when I'm desperately trying to hold the bike up, with one foot and one hand while it's leaned too far, I have taken solace in the frame sliders installed shortly after I got the bike. On pavement, they pretty much keep the delicate parts from hitting the ground, and they are close enough to the bike's center of gravity that forces imparted on the parts that do touch are much reduced.
ptcaflyer likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-10-2018, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Frame sliders and bark busters are well worth the money after a very low speed or stationary bike lie down, glad I fitted mine. I sometimes think about a smaller, lighter bike than the DL650 then I take her for a ride and enjoy it so much changing bikes is forgotten.
Big B and chirosyd like this.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-10-2018, 10:53 PM
$tromtrooper

I once came home after a mega-long work week, pulled into the garage, got off the bike and realized I hadn't put the side-stand down. Oops. Guided it down gently. Glad for those frame sliders and crash bars. No damage.

DL1000K6 Two wheels good; four wheels bad.
DRZ400SK17
post #8 of 11 Old 12-11-2018, 02:51 AM
Stromthusiast!

Hi Mike
Laying it down is better than busting a gut(or something else) trying to hold it up.
Machines can be fixed.

Harry
booghotfoot likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-11-2018, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

My thoughts exactly, I am over 60 years old now and like to think I have become wiser. Bike damage is not too hard to fix, physical body damage hurts a lot and takes a long time to get better. Already got too much previous damage to deal with without new problems!
Big B, Spec and V-Harry like this.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-12-2018, 10:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

60's . I have fond memories of my 60's . I usually don't care for lowering with links but I put 1.25 Kouba links on my 2011 DL650 and I was impressed . It handled great and the sidestand was actually better and my feet touched down better. I lowered the front about 1/2 inch by sliding the forks up in the triple clamps. Cheap way to lower a bike.

2014 DL1000 - Sold
2010 Triumph Scrambler- Sold
2014 KLR650 - Sold
2017 Honda CRF250L - current
2016 Honda VFR1200X - current
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode