Battery problems - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-05-2018, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Battery problems

Hi I've got a 2015 vstrom earlier this year i had issues with the battery going flat. It was charging ok so i put it down to the battery. I've got oxford heated grips which at the time were wired directly to the battery. I bought a new lithium battery and all was good until one morning totally dead battery nothing at all in no dash lights at all. I put it down to leaving the grips on and the auto shut off not working. So i bought the wiring kit to wire the grios so they go off with the ignition. Come to it today and its totally dead again. I have no other accessories on the bike. Any ideas guys. I put my trickle charger on it and it won't charge comes up with battery faulty warning. I'm going to jump it in the morning and make sure it's charging my bike still needs the stator recall doing could that be a cause of this issue. Seems it's happened every couple months for last 4 months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-05-2018, 07:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

When turning off the bike, could you have accidentally put the key to the parking light position and the lights drained the battery? Happened to me before..
post #3 of 17 Old 12-05-2018, 08:15 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

If you totally drain a Lithium battery they are done! Systems designed for them have voltage sensors that cut off current to prevent that. Sounds like that is what happened to yours?

When you say "charging ok", what voltage was it showing. I assume you have a meter on it, there is no other way to know if it is charging ok or not.....

I suspect you are going to find a faulty stator.
Big B likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]

post #4 of 17 Old 12-05-2018, 08:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've had two stators go bad. One failure, the first, was of an intermittent nature ..... till it wasn't. So yes, it could very well be the stator.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-05-2018, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Yes i had a meter on it to check it was charging ok too. I had been thinking i might have put the parking lights on as i put the steering lock on in the garage. Going to jump start it in the morning and see if its charging and if it is go and get the battery tested..
post #6 of 17 Old 12-05-2018, 09:46 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

What were the voltages on the meter?

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #7 of 17 Old 12-05-2018, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

The volt meter was reading 13.4 from memory. I'll check it once i get hime and jump start it. It was a couple of months ago when i last had the meter on it.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-05-2018, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
How are you "jump starting" your motorcycle?

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #9 of 17 Old 12-05-2018, 12:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

A dead battery will NOT get fully charged by a trickle charger, and might not even charge at all!
A trickle charger, battery maintainer, is just that. To keep a battery at the fully charged state.
It doesn't have enough charging power to revive a dead battery.

Also the charging system on the bike doesn't like to have to charge up a fully dead battery.
Its hard on the components. That's why a new battery always states to charge the battery before installing it.

Please only jump your bike with a bike battery. Not a car battery.
OR just push start it !
post #10 of 17 Old 12-05-2018, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

The tricle charger i have is a battery charger and a tricle charger so u can use it for either. But it wont charge the battery is comes up with a warning saying battery failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode