Givi Airflow vs. Madstad - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 11-29-2018, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Givi Airflow vs. Madstad

Greetings, fellow Stromers...

I'm 6'2 and have the stock Suzuki windscreen on my '13 Wee...the one with the built-in adjustable wind deflector at the top. For the most part, it does OK, but the buffeting can be a chore and I always wear earplugs as the wind noise is tiresome. (I have Richland Rick's mirror extenders installed already).

So...been doing research and have narrowed possible options down to either a Givi Airflow or a Madstad with their brackets and windscreen. I see plusses and minuses for both...I'm drawn to the Madstad a bit for its ability to tilt back and forth as well as up and down, as opposed to the Givi which just adjusts up and down. However, that lower piece on the Givi that has the "winglets" looks like it might provide some cleaner air.

So rather than poll the inmates on the benefits of either...are there folks out there who have tried BOTH and can offer some real world experience as to which worked better for you, and why?

Cheers!

Bendmac/Central Oregon

2013 Wee Adv...

EnduroGuardian bash plate/highway pegs/radiator guard;
AdventureTech LLC peg lowering mounts/mirror extenders/fork brace/shifter relocation kit, 2" extended front brake line;
Saddleman Gel-Channel Tech seat;
Barkbuster Storm hand guards;
Oxford heated grips;
Blue Seas 5025 6 circuit fuse block;
12v weatherproof power port;
Eastern Beaver headlight relay kit;
Cree LED lights;
Signal Dynamics voltage monitor;
Kisan signalMinder
PWD Stebel horn kit;
"Home grown" tool tube;
"Sasquatched" (Adventure Power Sports) rear shock
Madstad bracket and 22" screen
Roadstercycle SH775 R/R upgrade
SW-Motech bar risers
Mr. Ed's Moto custom seat
Superbright LED headlight bulbs and other bulbs converted to LED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 11-29-2018, 01:22 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Givi Airflow vs. Madstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendmac View Post
Greetings, fellow Stromers...

I'm 6'2 and have the stock Suzuki windscreen on my '13 Wee...the one with the built-in adjustable wind deflector at the top. For the most part, it does OK, but the buffeting can be a chore and I always wear earplugs as the wind noise is tiresome. (I have Richland Rick's mirror extenders installed already).

So...been doing research and have narrowed possible options down to either a Givi Airflow or a Madstad with their brackets and windscreen. I see plusses and minuses for both...I'm drawn to the Madstad a bit for its ability to tilt back and forth as well as up and down, as opposed to the Givi which just adjusts up and down. However, that lower piece on the Givi that has the "winglets" looks like it might provide some cleaner air.

So rather than poll the inmates on the benefits of either...are there folks out there who have tried BOTH and can offer some real world experience as to which worked better for you, and why?

Cheers!

On the subject of winglets, the combination of the Givi Airflow and the Augustus deflectors worked well for me. I had the windshield on first but did notice a bigger improvement once the deflectors were installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Jeffro650; 11-29-2018 at 06:59 AM.
post #3 of 32 Old 11-29-2018, 08:19 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have a 2013 wee with a Givi Airflow and the Augustus deflectors and it made a big improvement. There is some still some air that comes up onto your chest and under your helmet but I find it comfortable up to 65 mph. I prefer secondary road travel topping up to about 65 mph for which this set up is perfect.
Jeffro650 likes this.

NewStrom

post #4 of 32 Old 11-29-2018, 09:28 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

You will be disappointed in the Givi Airflow for higher speed operation. Great on back roads, around town. Once you crack 55 it goes downhill. Ok into the 60's if you don't have crosswinds or any traffic, but how often is that?

Get the Madstad bracket and one of their taller windshields. If in doubt, get the taller one! That is part of why the Madstad works, you can adjust height. But maybe more important is angle. Getting the top of the windshield closer to your helmet makes a lot of difference.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 32 Old 11-29-2018, 10:29 AM
$tromtrooper

Have not used both but cannot beleive anything can do a better job than the Madstad.....total adjustment and astonishing at speed. The new deflectors make it even better.
Mulewright likes this.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87
post #6 of 32 Old 11-29-2018, 11:48 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Well that is interesting. The only drawback I have found to my bike (650) is that I am not comfortable at higher speeds on major highways due to the buffeting and wind noise. I had been thinking about a full fairing bike. Is the 22 inch Madstad the tall one?

NewStrom
post #7 of 32 Old 11-29-2018, 01:46 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Don't limit yourself to just the screens Madstad sells. Any screen that fits a 2004-2011 DL 1000 or DL 650 will fit the madstad bracket for the 2012-2016 DL 650. Aftermarket screens for the 2012-2016 DL 650 will not fit the Madstad bracket!!!

Always better to go too tall. In fact I would purposely go too tall and raise the mounting holes by drilling new ones. This helps remove some of the load on the weak cowl area of these 650's.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #8 of 32 Old 11-29-2018, 02:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Madstad + CalSci = quiet bliss at 70mph. Add ear plugs and a Shoei helmet, you can hear yourself whisper (no joke) at 70mph.

Being slow doesn't make a boring bike. I had a R1 which I thought was boring. Boring is a bike that doesn't speak to you. If you like what your bike is saying let it's voice take you to far flung places. - Vertical C
post #9 of 32 Old 11-29-2018, 02:52 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by realshelby View Post
Don't limit yourself to just the screens Madstad sells. Any screen that fits a 2004-2011 DL 1000 or DL 650 will fit the madstad bracket for the 2012-2016 DL 650. Aftermarket screens for the 2012-2016 DL 650 will not fit the Madstad bracket!!!

Always better to go too tall. In fact I would purposely go too tall and raise the mounting holes by drilling new ones. This helps remove some of the load on the weak cowl area of these 650's.
Yes that's good advice - I used a Givi ( not the Airflow ) on my 2010 650s plus the MadStad.
I'm using the Madstad solution with the air deflectors on the CB500x and it's a step up.
I'm not tall so can't advise but the Madstad and a decent sized screen goes a long way.

I could never get my CBF1000 screen working and even with a Madstad was unsuccessful - screen was just too narrow.

Best screen ever was my ST1000 with the OEM touring screen - so quiet at 150kph.

Wide and those cutouts really worked - of course the fairing is a big plus but the damn thing was too wide for my shortish legs and too hot in traffic in tropical Australia....but what a treat at speed.
senoje likes this.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87
post #10 of 32 Old 12-01-2018, 10:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

I am very interested in this thread. I am in pretty much the same situation as the OP, but I am not all that experienced with motorcycle accessories. Two questions, if you please:
  1. I am not familiar with wind deflectors and I cannot find the Augustus ones for sale anywhere. Where can they be found and are there any alternatives to that brand?
  2. With the Mastad windscreen, I see they offer different tints. What do people here recommend?
Thanks!

Self-medicating two-wheel therapist...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode