An embarrassing first - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

5Likes
  • 2 Post By uk-vstrom
  • 2 Post By M3B
  • 1 Post By MAZ4ME

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-22-2018, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

An embarrassing first

I've been wrenching on cars since I was old enough to walk as my dad was a professional mechanic.
I'm pretty dang good at taking things apart and putting them back together.
So imagine my dismay when I went to change the air filter today and when I'm done I have two 4mm shoulder screws with the "big" head sans flange left over. That's a first for me - I've never had any parts left over. So I went back over the panels with a careful eye:
The three in the side tank cover are there -
the front one on the side strip panel under the seat is there,
the two on the top that holds the front/top tank strip are there.
The two holding the front tank bracket are there.
So where the hell do these two go? I looked at the xploded diagram in the service manual in section 9 where it describes how to take the frame stuff off and I'll be dipped if I can spot any I missed.
So I'm humbly asking for someone to restore my dignity by figuring out where these two cursed screws go.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

2015 DL650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-22-2018, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Look at THIS:
https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/...k-dl650al5-e33
And THIS: https://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/...5e/frame-cover

Last edited by MAZ4ME; 11-22-2018 at 06:45 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-22-2018, 06:52 PM
Stromthusiast!

At a guess, the two screws that attach the black radiator shroud to the tank before you put the plastic side tank covers on. If you hold the back of the shroud near the vents and lightly pull it away from the tank and it moves then that's where they belong.

(I forgot them on once, and the last time a dealer touched my bike they also forgot to put them on)
V-Tom and Berksglh like this.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-22-2018, 07:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: I'm most alive when I'm in the north woods on my V2. So lets say Mountain Wi.
Word for word, this was me last year but on a 2015 DL1000. So it may be slightly different. My DVD manual has crappy pictures.

I ended up removing each piece one at a time carefully checking for open holes as I went. There was one spot on each side I missed. "The 3 on each side tank cover" as you say. I believe the rear most one thats covered by the top tank plastic, on each side was missing.

I've done it twice. Not what ya want to here, but go back though disassembly, minus tank removal, you'll find the empty threads.

Hopefully someone with same bike can assist better?

Good luck.

Here's where the ones are I missed, under this spot on photo.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 11-22-2018, 07:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: I'm most alive when I'm in the north woods on my V2. So lets say Mountain Wi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk-vstrom View Post
At a guess, the two screws that attach the black radiator shroud to the tank before you put the plastic side tank covers on. If you hold the back of the shroud near the vents and lightly pull it away from the tank and it moves then that's where they belong.

(I forgot them on once, and the last time a dealer touched my bike they also forgot to put them on)
I stand corrected. I just took another look at my 2015V. It was the two UK-Vstrom is refering to that I missed. Their quite hidden and easy to miss.

I'd bet he nailed it.

post #6 of 9 Old 11-22-2018, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berksglh View Post
I stand corrected. I just took another look at my 2015V. It was the two UK-Vstrom is refering to that I missed. Their quite hidden and easy to miss.

I'd bet he nailed it.

The only two screws anywhere near the shroud are the two front tank bracket screws. They're in.
Other than that I don't think I took any off from teh shroud but I think y'all are right - I'll just have to take the side panels off again and look for two empty holes.
I seem to recall there were two towards the bottom that I hadn't realized were holding the tank in - possibly that's what y'all are referring to and I bet I neglected to put those in - they don't really jump out at you.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
George Orwell

2015 DL650
post #7 of 9 Old 11-22-2018, 09:06 PM
M3B
Stromthusiast!

I'm guessing that your two bolts are what are referred to as "fairing bolts." There sort of hidden behind the tank shrouds.
Motor7 and Brojon like this.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-22-2018, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

That's them.I took off the shrouding on my '14 DL1K to adjust the TPS, and when I was all done...I had these 2 large-head shoulder bolts. Took off the side trim, there they were.
Brojon likes this.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-23-2018, 07:40 AM
$tromtrooper

Yup, I did the same thing...they hide under the trim.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode