Brake Pads - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

7Likes
  • 2 Post By Hatchi
  • 3 Post By Fox
  • 1 Post By Motor7
  • 1 Post By Squish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-15-2018, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Brake Pads

Hi guys looking at replacing my front brake pads and been looking online at different options. I use the bike to commute to work in Australia doing just over 100km a day 6 days a week. Most of it is freeway but about 10km is in traffic on the roads. Do i just go for the pads my local suzuki dealer sells which i dont know what type they are or do i go for after market ones. If so which are the best option Sintered, semi sintered or organic? Obviously i would like the best performance and longest lasting.

Thanks Paul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-15-2018, 03:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Cheers, Paul -
Sintered pads will give you the longest wear. Semi-Sintered will give you a softer feel--think less initial "grab" when brakes are first applied. Organics will wear the quickest but have a nice, intuitive feel...I use sintered on my 09 Wee and they have held up very well for the past 15-18k miles. Will go with the same when they do wear out! Once you learn to use a gradual application of the brakes (front, in particular) you'll agree that the performance of the fully sintered pads is unmatched. The cost difference is not really that much anyways!

Shad 33L Topcase
Wolfman 40L Waterproof Duffel
Givi Tanklock 20L Tankbag
Techiwik Long Underwear

1978 Honda CB550K-Sold

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 8 Old 11-15-2018, 03:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

EBC HH brake pads are the popular choice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Mulewright and Railrocker like this.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-15-2018, 04:35 PM
Fox
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I commute year-round and use kevlar organics from eBay which cost next to nothing. The most important and most commonly neglected factor of brake health is periodically cleaning and greasing the sliding components with actual brake grease. Otherwise they will tend to wear oddly, cause accelerated wear to the pins / clips / disc and may drag. This is especially important if you ride in the rain or dirt a lot.
Mulewright, Gert and V-Harry like this.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-15-2018, 05:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

The stock Suzuki pads are HH. I found this out the first time I replaced them with EBC HH pads. Been using the EBC pads since, mostly because I see no reason to go with anything else. They didn't really provide noticably improved performance over the OEM pads, but they're easy to get and the price is right. I don't see any reason to go with organic pads for reduced wear or better modulation. I have no problem modulating the brakes, and after 60,000 miles my rotors are not showing excess wear. The EBC pads just work. That being said, if it makes it easier to buy pads from your dealer, and the price is right, I don't see a reason not to buy those.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-17-2018, 12:16 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I will just go with the dealer pads i think. EBC aren't easy to get hold of in Australia. They cost a mint in postage nearly as much as the pads. Thanks guys.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-22-2018, 08:59 AM
$tromtrooper

I recently switched from EBC HH to Ferodo ST Sintered. So far about 7K on them and I like them better than the EBC's:

https://www.motosport.com/ferodo-sintered-st-brake-pads

I do not know of their availability Down Under though....
Big B likes this.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #8 of 8 Old 12-30-2018, 01:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

I typically buy OEM brake pads feeling like I will get the best balance of braking and pad/rotor longevity.
This last time I needed pads before a trip. And my local dealer only had EBC HH, so I got those.
They, at least the ones I got do not have the water bar or groove in the pad, so I expect them to suck in the rain for the first couple of times you have to brake. I am expecting more rotor wear. I will be switching back to stock when the EBC wear out.
MAZ4ME likes this.

Last edited by Squish; 12-30-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode