Poooor MPG! Help! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 Old 10-31-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Poooor MPG! Help!

Hi guys,

Got the bike about a month and half ago, private owner. 2012 white dl650, with 5,500 miles on it.
She drives great! not a single problem. I have just reached the 6,000 mile mark today.

But I have noticed on the three gas fill up I have done so far, than the MPG for each period have been 36-37MPG!!!!

I dont know what I could try. I have researched this issue and couldn't find a solution or an answer.

This is how I drive, I have everyday a commute to work of about 15 miles, which about 9 are highway, and 6 city. Nothing crazy. Highway I do 80+ mph, I am not crazy on the throttle, but neither easy, just normal, no redlining AT ALL. Another thing, the temps in the morning commute are about 30-36 F, in the later commute 40-60F.
I have a round typ. top box

------Do you guys have any idea how to bring the MPG to a normal 40s? Has anybody found out a solution? Its a bike with 6,000 miles! And again, she drives great! I just wished I had normal MPG. I heard that the cold temperature can affect the MPG.

Could it be the air filter???? Changing exhaust to make it leaner could help???

Thank you guys!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1f299fdc-30e8-4b46-927a-d33cc48cf997.jpg (307.7 KB, 35 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 10-31-2018, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
At those speeds in colder temps, I don't think it's unusual to see the mileage you are getting. Colder temps means running richer, and anything above 70 MPH on these bikes will indeed lower your mileage "but agree your average is lower than usual". Would be worth checking the air filter for sure, are you riding with a larger windscreen and all the bags on? Where is your location, might consider updating your profile?

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 49 Old 10-31-2018, 12:27 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
How much warm-up time when the temp is way down? Fast idles burn fuel....fast.
Three tanks are not enough to formulate a real average.
I use Fuelly.com, enter every refuel, and have a 10 tank running average MPG I know is accurate.

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi engine bars, rear wheel mud guard, radiator screen. Givi V56 Litre Monokey topcase. Puig screen. Freeway Blaster horn. Speedohealer. SW Motech guards for R. brake reservoir, R. brake cylinder, exhaust pipe valve. Aprilia Tuono mirrors. GPR exhaust slip-on.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.

post #4 of 49 Old 10-31-2018, 12:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Cold temps,
winter gas blend,
longer warm ups,
more of you - meaning larger jacket, gloves, ect,
That is to far of a mpg fall for all the changes.
The reduced mpgs are trying to tell you that is to cold to ride!
post #5 of 49 Old 10-31-2018, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

I recorded every drop of fuel that went into each of my Stroms. Do you base your mileage on the distanced traveled vs the amount of fuel you are putting in?

FWIW my 2012 DL650 averaged 49.4 MPG US over 86,714 miles. In warm weather it got better mileage, in cold it got worse mileage. My graphs shows 10 to 15 mpg difference between warm weather and cold weather. At speeds down in the 60 mph or slower range it got very good mileage. Up in the 75 to 85 mph range mileage plummeted.

10 mpg drop in mileage was not uncommon riding at freezing temperatures and same with riding at 75 to 85 mpg.

I don't think your mileage drop is ridiculous.

Things that might help improve mileage are the basics:

-Tire pressure. Keep rear at about 42 psi cold, and front perhaps 38 or so.

-I couldn't confirm mileage drops with sidecases but those should hurt mileage at high speeds. Top case probably makes no real difference as it is pretty much blocked from wind by your the rider anyway.

-Check brakes dragging, etc.

-do you start the bike and sit in your driveway idling to "warm" it up? That just wastes gas. Start it and ride away, although for the first while ride easily. It is the best way to warm it up and saves gas.

-Are you riding in 6th when you don't need to be revving? I have seen a fair number of people that don't want to run in top gear or redline their bike when accelerating but will run along at 50 mph in 3rd or 4th when 6th is just fine.

Sure check air filter, etc as well but I suspect there won't be big changes until you ride slower and the temperature is warmer.

..Tom
Big B, VSrider, V-Harry and 1 others like this.

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 193,000+ km, 120,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #6 of 49 Old 10-31-2018, 12:46 PM
$tromtrooper

air cleaner, tire pressure, riding conditions are three things that will affect mileage. 80+ mph could be the culprit. Stop and go city doesn't help mileage.

remember it takes 4 times the energy to achieve twice the velocity.

14 tooth for me

Last edited by chicago; 11-01-2018 at 09:32 AM.
post #7 of 49 Old 10-31-2018, 01:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Best fuel economy occurs around 50mph. Faster than that, MPG plummets. My worst ever fuel economy was a displayed 38.7mpg heading up the highway at 77 indicated with panniers. My 2015 XT averages 54.53mpg. I keep an Excel sheet with all fuel ups as it does the math for me.

Don't let it idle while you get all your gear on, make breakfast, etc. Start it and go, it'll warm up faster on the move. The temp on mine is at three bars within a mile of leaving home; I start the bike in the driveway, look both ways, and pull out immediately.

Lots of short trips will murder your economy, same with stop-and-go ad nauseam.

Here's a very simple check to perform: with a mostly full tank, clear the trip meter and go for a spin on country roads for about an hour or so. Before you get back into town, switch to the MPG display. You should be well into the 50s.

Low to mid 40s means you need a can of Liqui Moly Jectron from NAPA. Jectron is the only injector cleaner I've used that actually works. Half a can to a full tank of gas. Ride as usual for a few tanks, then repeat to use the other half can. Now, repeat the country ride with a zeroed trip meter and compare that result to the first.
Big B, V-Tom, KevinP and 1 others like this.

Being slow doesn't make a boring bike. I had a R1 which I thought was boring. Boring is a bike that doesn't speak to you. If you like what your bike is saying let it's voice take you to far flung places. - Vertical C
post #8 of 49 Old 10-31-2018, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogfarth View Post
Best fuel economy occurs around 50mph. Faster than that, MPG plummets. My worst ever fuel economy was a displayed 38.7mpg heading up the highway at 77 indicated with panniers. My 2015 XT averages 54.53mpg. I keep an Excel sheet with all fuel ups as it does the math for me.

Don't let it idle while you get all your gear on, make breakfast, etc. Start it and go, it'll warm up faster on the move. The temp on mine is at three bars within a mile of leaving home; I start the bike in the driveway, look both ways, and pull out immediately.

Here's a very simple check to perform: with a mostly full tank, clear the trip meter and go for a spin on country roads for about an hour or so. Before you get back into town, switch to the MPG display. You should be well into the 50s.

Low to mid 40s means you need a can of Liqui Moly Jectron from NAPA. Jectron is the only injector cleaner I've used that actually works. Half a can to a full tank of gas. Ride as usual for a few tanks, then repeat to use the other half can. Now, repeat the country ride with a zeroed trip meter and compare that result to the first.
I agree with most of what you're saying and want to say that if you generally use "Top Tier' gas you should never need to use injector cleaner.

..Tom
Mulewright likes this.

2006 DL650: 202,000 km 125,500 miles, Sold
2012 DL650 139,500+ km, 86,700+ miles. Sold
2015 DL1000 New July 2015 193,000+ km, 120,000 miles.

This can help preventing from cars pulling out in front of you (SMIDSY)
SMIDSY detailed report.

post #9 of 49 Old 10-31-2018, 01:47 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

If you are actually running 80+, or close to 80 allowing for speedometer error, in those temps that is the mileage I would not be surprised at!

Force yourself to run 70 indicated for a tank and see what that does for mileage. If it goes way up, you know what to expect going forward.
Mulewright and Kurtk like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #10 of 49 Old 10-31-2018, 02:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogfarth View Post

Yep, I bet Liqui Moly Jectron cleaner works as good as $8.00 per gallon Crown Camp fuel. Also known as white gas also know as Naphtha. Considering the MSDS of Liqui Moly Jectron cleaner states it is 98.5% to 99.5% Naphtha.

greater than 60 % naphtha petroleum, heavy, hydrodesulfurized

0.5-1.5 % isoparaffins petroleum hydrotreated HFP

0.5-1.5 % solvent naphtha petroleum, heavy aromatic

1-1 % naphthalene
Kurtk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
gas , mileage , mpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode