Keep the WEE or move on - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 10-30-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Keep the WEE or move on

Need some advise group.

I have a 2012 WEE that I love. But since I started commuting 100-110 miles everyday I have developed some issues. Throttle hand is giving me issues, yes I don't squeeze hard done all that. Put 1x1 risers on bike and throttle lock. Helped a little bit not fixing the problem. Plus I'm getting lots of cold blast now that it's winter need to change out to better wind screen for winter.

So choices are:
1. Put brake away crude control. Mechanics at shop love it
2. Put 2x2s on also ( don't trust myself to do) because of brake line being moved
3. Get a wind screen but what kind? 5'8" but big torso

I am considering possibly a Yamaha fjr 1300 or a triumph tiger explorer XC.

Both good bikes for commuting.

I do like my WEE and would rather fix problem. But getting tired.
By the way it's a 2012

Thanks.
Ps. Don't say " don't squeeze" grips because I don't. It's a distance thing with bars. Has to be.

Thanks
D.C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-30-2018, 09:43 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Things may have changed since, but I had a 2005 FJR1300. The handlebar put my hands at a slightly odd angle, causing discomfort on rides of any distance over 25 miles. Also it's a bit wider, which for me forced my knees at an uncomfortable angle. (I like keeping my feet parallel with the bike) The FJR is a great machine with power to spare, a real mile-eater, good suspension and great aerodynamics with the right screen. (to prevent head buffeting) After crashing it, I replaced it with an '07 FZ6. Also a great mile-eater. But truth be told, I was more comfortable on the FZ6 and now the DL650.

Ride one before you shell out the coins. I've never ridden the Triumph so I can't offer any information there.

And I definitely understand. I've had four spine surgeries. C-5, C-6, & C-7 are fused in the neck. Both arms are prone to go numb and tingly in seconds unless I keep everything in just the right position. Good luck finding a solution or better fit.
Doncscs likes this.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Last edited by scab; 10-30-2018 at 09:46 PM.
post #3 of 23 Old 10-30-2018, 09:47 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doncscs View Post
Need some advise group.

I have a 2012 WEE that I love. But since I started commuting 100-110 miles everyday I have developed some issues. Throttle hand is giving me issues, yes I don't squeeze hard done all that. Put 1x1 risers on bike and throttle lock. Helped a little bit not fixing the problem. Plus I'm getting lots of cold blast now that it's winter need to change out to better wind screen for winter.

So choices are:

1. Put brake away crude control. Mechanics at shop love it

2. Put 2x2s on also ( don't trust myself to do) because of brake line being moved

3. Get a wind screen but what kind? 5'8" but big torso

I am considering possibly a Yamaha fjr 1300 or a triumph tiger explorer XC.

Both good bikes for commuting.

I do like my WEE and would rather fix problem. But getting tired.

By the way it's a 2012

Thanks.

Ps. Don't say " don't squeeze" grips because I don't. It's a distance thing with bars. Has to be.

Thanks

D.C.

I have a 2012 DL650 as well. I put on Oxford grips and grip puppies over them. For me it made a big difference in the grip as it is a much larger circumference and less cramping. Also have Kaoko throttle lock but never really use it. I put in a Givi airflow soon after getting the bike and Agustus deflectors which really fixed the buffeting and airflow issues. Lastly and most recently I put on 2 Rox risers and +2 SS brake line kit from SV racing. The difference is unbelievable and worth every penny. Should have done IR long ago. I had a local mechanic do the brake lines for me and it was money well spent! I still need to do some longer rides to know for sure but feel like this was the best of all. Lastly, my new Terry Adcox seat should be here in 2 days!

I love the Vstrom but Im a big dude at 63 250lbs so lots of mods were necessary and have really made it MUCH EASIER to do 100+ mile rides.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 23 Old 10-30-2018, 09:48 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I too had throttle hand issues, and I too have a throttle lock (kaoko). It didn't start working for me until I made a concious effort to really use it. Once I did, the pain/discomfort went away.

Do you actually use your throttle lock as much as possible? I mean, you can have if partially activated almost all the time, so it really takes the stress off a lot of the time.

The other thing that helped was installing a 2" rox riser. I didn't need to replace brake/clutch lines as I rerouted them in front of the handlebars (rather than behind).

Givi airflow solved all wind issues for me.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
VSrider and Doncscs like this.

- Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (2015)
- Honda CRF 250L (2014)
- Triumph Street Triple (2016)

Last edited by Thighrod; 10-30-2018 at 09:53 PM.
post #5 of 23 Old 10-30-2018, 10:05 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
There's always the Rostra universal cruise control unit. But I've no idea what a mechanic would charge to install one on a bike or if they even would. I'm guessing its viability as an option would be self-installation or assistance from a member that has installed one on a DL.
Doncscs likes this.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
post #6 of 23 Old 10-30-2018, 10:06 PM
$tromtrooper

Grip buddies, cramp buster and throttle lock.

GoCruise2 is simple and cheap...larger grips ( Grip buddies etc ) help especially with winter gloves

Cramp buster keeps your wrist straight.

Madstad brackets and screen #1 farkle
V-Tom and VSrider like this.

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold 10 Wee ABS sold 09 Burgman Exec sold 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 93 ST1100 sold
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87
post #7 of 23 Old 10-30-2018, 10:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

Don't be afraid to rotate your handlebars slightly closer towards you, loosen the perches and re-adjust. A slight tweak makes a world of difference.
The foot peg lowering kit is essential for the 12-16 Strom as well. Way better ergos.
Can't speak on the Madstad, but the Givi Airflow was an improvement for me. Jeffro (above poster) has the right idea with the winglets; Aprillia Tuono mirrors apparently help too.

About the forearm... 2 Advil 4Xday for 2 weeks. Rub some anti-inflammitory creme on at the same time. Thank me later.
Mulewright and Doncscs like this.
post #8 of 23 Old 10-31-2018, 12:48 AM
KSM
Stromthusiast!

Buy a used Super Tenere. They seem to be bargain priced and might be perfect for your application.

2012 DL650A (purchased Dec 2017)
2005 DRZ400S (sold Dec 2017)
1972 Norton Commando (sold 1984)
1978 Suzuki DR370 (sold 1982)

Last edited by KSM; 10-31-2018 at 10:09 AM.
post #9 of 23 Old 10-31-2018, 09:20 AM
$tromtrooper

I put the Rostra on both my DL650's and won't own another road bike without 'eeee lec tronic' CC again. Also, if your hands are going numb quickly then consider carpal tunnel surgery. I had my right done and after it healed I was appalled at how bad my left was so I got it done too. I do long days in the saddle on my trips(10+ hrs) and numb hands are no longer an issue.
EddieFL likes this.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #10 of 23 Old 10-31-2018, 10:04 AM
Fox
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I had some bad wrist pain on my '06 650, but after removing the "grip puppies" installed by the previous owner and putting on my throttle rocker, it was better.

If your hands are getting cold and you don't have plastic handguards, install a set. They make a really big difference in winter and in foul weather.

With a commute that long, I would be looking at an ST1300, FJR, or Concours. You'll take a hit to fuel economy, but the weather protection is better and will ease the fatigue.
Doncscs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode