Windscreens for ‘14 Vstrom 650 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-26-2018, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Windscreens for ‘14 Vstrom 650

Looking for clear colour replacement windscreen for my ’14 Vstrom 650.

I am 6’ 2” and plan to get the taller Suzuki seat plus I ride with a beaked Shoei Hornet. I don’t prefer the look of a huge screen, nor the ones with the add on small deflector/spoiler/blade on top like the MRA X-Creen or the MRA Vario Touring Screen.

Reading lots of reviews on the web including here and it is great to see when someone includes their height as I think that makes a difference when they describe their product experiences.

I have narrowed my interest down to 3 screens and looking for opinions. Price point for me is important but then again, pay half for something and it does not work then what was the point.

I like the simplicity and clean lines of a single permanent screen that integrates nicely with the look of the bike but then there those that are more adjustable on the fly via tilt or rise options or both). I do like the idea of being able to taylor adjust on the road depending on riding conditions (ie. summer in city vs fall highway in rain) but typically will stick with one adjustment that works overall..

Here are the ones I am interested in:

1) Puig Touring Windshield (less adjustability nice look) $168 CDN Fortnine

2) GIVI AF3101 Airflow or Kappa KAF3101 Airstream $207 CDN for Kappa Fortnine

3) Madstad adjustable windscreen combo (22” over 20” screen?) $260 CDN Twisted for 20”

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-26-2018, 08:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the GIVI Airflow. I appreciated the fact that I could adjust the height exactly where I wanted it (saved me trying to figure out the correct height for a fixed unit). However after I got it where I wanted it I have never adjusted it again (although I could lower it when it's hot I don't since that would mean more bug splats on my helmet and jacket).
PS- I"m 6' 2" also.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-26-2018, 09:00 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have the Givi Airflow on my '14 VStrom 650 and I can't recommend it enough. I wouldn't say it has clean, beautiful lines, but the adjustability helps you to dial it in just right, and it works great. I am 6'3".

post #4 of 16 Old 10-26-2018, 09:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the Madstad on my 2018 Wee and Iím very happy with it.
post #5 of 16 Old 10-27-2018, 02:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

I used to have givi Airflow. it is nice that you can adjust the position of it but I sold it. I used to have Madstad with brackets. t works ok but I didn't like look of it. I sold it. Ended up with MRA. My riding buddy has Puig installed with the lip on the top of it and he likes it a lot. BTW my MRA also has a adjustable lip.

Last edited by Rick123; 10-27-2018 at 02:56 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-27-2018, 06:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

I ran the stock screen on the 2013 DL650 and it was terrible no matter where it was set.

I bough the GIVI AirFlow and no mater where it was set it was about an 50% improvement over stock.

I then bought a Madstad 18" Adventure and it was 80% improvement over stock.

The up, down and tilt of the Madstad and brackets definitely make it the most fine tunable.

The one thing aftermarket seats and windscreens have in common is if you ask 10 people what they prefer and you get at least 15 answers.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-27-2018, 08:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

I'm 6'2" with 33" leg inseam and I have the Madstad Adventure 22" on my '12 wee2. In the fully up position I can just see over it. You said you don't like overly big screens but at your size if you want protection you don't have much choice. I got used to the size of it and am thankful for it at highway speeds. I sit on a Russell seat which is at least as high as the Suzuki high seat if not higher. Here's a photo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1899web_zpsfa4d5889.jpg (132.6 KB, 14 views)
post #8 of 16 Old 10-27-2018, 11:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

When I got my 2013 I almost immediately put a Givi Airflow on. I can't say it's perfect, I still get a little buffering sometimes but it's world's better than stock. The best part about it is quick and easy adjustments. I do actually adjust mine often depending on my speed and the weather. Sometimes when it's warm out I actually just remove the top piece and ride with the little stubby bottom piece. If its rainy or cold I adjust it up just high enough to be right below my line of sight and it does well at keeping the rain and air off my face shield.
At 5'10" I'm not as tall as the OP, and I'm not growing.
thirdofthree likes this.

Last edited by hostler; 10-27-2018 at 11:06 AM.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-27-2018, 03:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

I have the Givi Airflow on my '13 and am 6'2". I can't say it made a huge difference. Raising the adjustable portion really didn't do much if anything either. That being said, I was never really bothered all that much by buffeting in the 1st place. I just wanted to try and clean up the airflow as much as possible. On previous bikes, the biggest improvement I ever got screenwise was by cutting the shield down almost completely, till it was basically a fly screen. Didn't want that on the Glee. Overall, the biggest improvement you'll get is from your choice if helmet. If you're gonna ride with an ADV style helmet, I think buffeting us something you'll have to get used to.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-27-2018, 06:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
If you want to give a CalSci screen a shot, I have one I would send you cheap. 50 bucks+shipping. PM me if interested.

What I ride now:
2013 Honda GoldWing (The Lady)
2014 V-strom 650 (The Mistress)
Previously: 07 Ultra Classic, 95 Softail, 80 gs450l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode