Rear axle and nut stripped - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 10-22-2018, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Rear axle and nut stripped

I have no idea how but I was trying to adjust my chain today. I put the bike on the lift, got my wrenches out and loosened the axle nut about 2 turns, just enough to move it with some resistance. I proceeded to turn the allen screw about a 1/4 of a turn to tighten the chain, made sure both sides were the same according to the swingarm hash marks, then I tightened the nut back down. After tightening the chain seemed to tighten up to where I felt it was too tight so I went to loosen the axle nut to readjust and it would not move, I mean stuck tight. The axle itself didn't seem tight in the swingarm though, which I thought was odd. Anyway, both the axle and nut are stripped.
Now, the bike only has about 5000 miles on it. I bought it from an individual with only 1500 miles on it so it has original tire and chain and sprocket (there's no reason this nut has ever been off the bike). The second thing is ever since I've had it I've been perplexed with the chain adjustments, it seems I would get it right, tighten it up and it will have moved, so this is not the first time I've had to go back and readjust it. I'm wondering if the thing has been stripped the whole time I've had it.
Anyway, new axle and nut are almost $100 so that sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-22-2018, 07:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Bad news but not a new thing. Google axle nut galling; stromtrooper and you will find a number of references. Galling is friction welding. It can be avaerted by applying an antigalling compound to the axle and nut.

Does your bike have a castellated nut? If yes replace it with the newer self locking nut that has a lot more thread surface area that will help to prevent galling together with the compound. Also reduce the torque by about 25% to compensate for the thread lubrication. (See Greywolf's many postings on this matter).

Look on e-bay for a cheaper replacement axle. Good luck!

And once it's all fixed check out NEVA 19 for a great meet in the NE next year. The thread is not up but will be come early next year.
Big B, HokiesRWee, Gert and 2 others like this.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A

post #4 of 21 Old 10-23-2018, 08:53 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Go to a site like partzilla.com and get the part numbers and you can google them for the best price. Anti-seize and 58 ftlbs is what I use on the rear axle.
CapMorgan likes this.

2014 650 Strom
post #5 of 21 Old 10-24-2018, 01:42 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Also be aware that aftermarket nuts and Suzuki's axle nuts have slightly different external dimensions. Not an issue unless you carry and emergency axle nut wrench fitting the wrong size.
Gert likes this.
post #6 of 21 Old 10-24-2018, 01:53 PM
Stromthusiast!

Hostler,
What you have, is a used bike which had a gorilla mechanic who over-tightened the rear axle. It could have been the previous owner, could have been from the factory, or it could have been the dealership mechanic. It's not uncommon for a low miles used bike to have something mucked up, but you have nothing to gain by figuring out who. All you can do is grin + buy the replacement new parts, and keep in focus that you saved some $$ buying a used bike. Just buy the parts and move forward.

18 1000 XT yellow. Bunch of goodies installed.
2015 Yamaha WR250F- Street plated woods bike
Previous rides- about 25 different bikes, mostly dirtbikes.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-24-2018, 02:29 PM
$tromtrooper

Hostler -- I had the same problem. I never over-tightened, but it still happened. (Could have been done by the dealer / factory before I got it, I suppose.)

After replacing the axle, I started using anti-seize and torquing to 58 ft-lb per Greywolf's recommendation somewhere on the forum and as others mention here. I don't even think about it anymore, and just re-apply anti-seize when I remove the nut for tire changes.

Another tip I picked up somewhere on the forum: when you get your new axle, insert it from the right side, rather than the left -- makes it easier to align the axle / brake / wheel.
Big B, HokiesRWee, Gert and 1 others like this.
post #8 of 21 Old 10-25-2018, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for all of the knowledge and good advice. I shopped around a bit and ended up getting an axle and nut from Bikebandit. Total was $103.
The more I think about it the more I think it was like that when I got it. I'm more than capable of screwing something as simple as a nut and bolt up, but in this case I feel I inherited the issue. I've wrestled with that silly thing every time I've adjusted the chain. I would adjust it, tighten it and then the chain would either loosen or tighten almost immediately and I would have to do it again.
post #9 of 21 Old 10-27-2018, 08:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

My guess is you inherited the problem.

That's the bad thing about getting something used. Usually the PO doesn't want to spend $$ or deal with some problems.

Didja end up cutting the nut off the axle?

Never had it happen to me, because I knew about it beforehand. I took the axle out and greased it up good everywhere.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #10 of 21 Old 10-27-2018, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T. View Post
My guess is you inherited the problem.

That's the bad thing about getting something used. Usually the PO doesn't want to spend $$ or deal with some problems.

Didja end up cutting the nut off the axle?

Never had it happen to me, because I knew about it beforehand. I took the axle out and greased it up good everywhere.
Fortunately I didn't have to cut it, I braced one wrench against the paddock stand and actually stood on the other to back it off. The bike, myself and the stand almost fell over twice when the wrench slipped off. My wife stopped by the garage door while I was doing this and asked what I was doing, I told her " tightening my chain", she just shrugged and walked off. I'm positive and thinks she married an idiot, for some reason I get some satisfaction from that.
Big B and HokiesRWee like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode