Suzuki top caseand side bags - opinions - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-21-2018, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Suzuki top caseand side bags - opinions

Hey Suzuki has 50% 0ff their plastic black/ silver accent plastic top case (42L) and side bags that will fit my 2014 Vstrom 650. Top case a little smaller than I was looking for (eyeing up 46L). Side case 30 and 40L pretty much standard.

Anyone have an opinion on quality of Suzuki OEM cases?. I’ve got a few GIVI accessories and was originally considering a 46L topcase and maybe side cases down the road.

The entire set of Suzuki OEM would be around $1000 plus tax including mounts/racks. Anything like this in a GIVI case $1500-$2000. GIVI pretty expensive.

Since my riding mostly road, not looking for ADV bombproof.

What do you think? Thanks

PSMike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-21-2018, 04:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Pretty sure I have a Givi V47 top case. Like it a lot. I consider it the perfect size for my day-to-day needs. High-quality lock, etc. Suggest checking Moto Storm (?) for best pricing. That's where I got mine.

My bike has the Suzuki OEM (Adventure bike model) side cases, but I'm pretty sure they're aluminum. Locks are very cheaply made (horrible), but can be replaced with better, I've read. For occasional / light-duty work I think these black OEM cases are fine.

That's all I can offer.

Good luck.

2007 Wee. Blue. Bought at 5K miles. Sold at 32K+ miles. Gone but not forgotten.

2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Now 44K+. Love it!
post #3 of 9 Old 10-21-2018, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Different bike, I know, but I really like the oem side and top cases for my '14 DL1K. I like that 1 key fits all the luggage and the gas tank, seat, and ignition. I like that the luggage is well-integrated with the lines of the bike.
Except for the top box, that last point comes at the expense of carrying capacity. Not a problem for me, but I can see it being a limiting factor for others. I also like the factory brackets and mounts.
What I am less than thrilled with is how finicky the opening/dismounting key latch/handle works. Do any one thing out of sequence while opening the bag or removing the bag from the bike and your smile will quickly become a frown. I have a work-around procedure for my left side bag, takes but a minute, but 2 previous times I was ready to hoof it to a hardware store in search of a hatchet.
Be aware--with Suzuki oem cases, outside of a lock cylinder, you cannot buy a single part of the luggage by itself
For example, you need a lid, a seal, a part of the latch/lock mechanism youre out of luck. You wreck and kill a side bag, you get to buy the set of 2.
These are the negatives of the oem luggage. To be fair, I do know know if the aftermarket cases are any different in that regard.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-21-2018, 05:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

The factory Suzuki top case that came on 2013 is a Hepco&Becker Journey 42. It seems to work fine. It is my every day commuter luggage. No problems with it being water tight, no problems with anything on it. The latch is a little irritating and requires two hands to open sometimes.
My factory side boxes were not watertight when I got them, Some silicone caulk has fixed that. The locks seem cheap, I feel like I need to take extra care or I'll break the key off. It's nice that they are top loaders but if I were buying them over again I would probably go with Caribou boxes.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-22-2018, 06:41 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have the OEM cases with the silver accent, 2017 DL650. Because they sit close in to the bike, they will give your bike a much narrower profile, which was important to me for everyday riding in the city, running errands, buying groceries etc.
They come off easy to take them into a hotel room. They are completely waterproof. I would buy them again.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-23-2018, 08:43 AM
Stromthusiast!

I’ve got those re-branded Hepco and Becker cases and the SW Motech racks on my ‘16. They work well. The side cases can let in a few drops of moisture if they are not closed properly. On mine at least I have to make sure the lid is centerd before closing the latches. You will be able to tell by the small raised portion on the lid that fits under the latch. Hard to explain but I’m sure you’ll figure it out when you see them. Just a slight push on the lid will center it and you’re good to go. They carry quite a lot but I find the side opening can be inconvenient. The two locking latches per case is a non issue and the locks do seem to work well. The only issue I’ve really encountered was needing to lube them when I first got the bike. The cases and racks come off easily for servicing and washing. You may want to consider a couple of locks for the racks which are available from SW Motech.
The top case is great. Holds lots and it too is easily removed. I’ve never had any moisture in the top case. All in all I have no complaints. I was able to carry everything I could possibly need and more for a 10 day tour last month. Nothing has broken.
On a personal aesthetics note I’m not a fan of the lop-sided look from the rear of the bike. I think they look really sharp from the side. I get a lot of looks and comments about my bike and I’m sure the cases have a lot to do with it. They are great value for what you get. I’ve dropped my bike a couple of times (low speed) and the side cases have sustained next to no damage while saving the rest of the machine from scrapes etc.
Two thumbs up!!
post #7 of 9 Old 10-29-2018, 06:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSMike View Post
Hey Suzuki has 50% 0ff their plastic black/ silver accent plastic top case (42L) and side bags that will fit my 2014 Vstrom 650. Top case a little smaller than I was looking for (eyeing up 46L). Side case 30 and 40L pretty much standard.

Anyone have an opinion on quality of Suzuki OEM cases?. Iíve got a few GIVI accessories and was originally considering a 46L topcase and maybe side cases down the road.

The entire set of Suzuki OEM would be around $1000 plus tax including mounts/racks. Anything like this in a GIVI case $1500-$2000. GIVI pretty expensive.

PSMike
Where are they on sale? I don't see it on the Suzuki website. Thanks.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-02-2018, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

50% off is on Suzuki Canada website:
https://www.suzuki.ca/
post #9 of 9 Old 11-04-2018, 09:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSMike View Post

Anyone have an opinion on quality of Suzuki OEM cases?. I’ve got a few GIVI accessories and was originally considering a 46L topcase and maybe side cases down the road.

PSMike

The Gen 2 650 OEM side cases are ridiculously wide IMO. Way wider than the bars. Something like 45" across... Ginormous

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode