*update*Rebuilt Salvage 2012 DL650 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-07-2018, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
*update*Rebuilt Salvage 2012 DL650

So a few months back I joined this forum and asked a few questions regarding my DL650 I had just purchased from the insurance salvage auction (IAAI in Fremont,CA) . The fixing of the bike it self-took a little longer than I would have liked and I ended up having the bike fixed for me rather than doing it myself because of the lack of free time I have right now (work full time and in college full time).

The general consensus in my last thread was that I was not going to get a good deal because I was having the work done by a mechanic and it was salvaged out for a reason etc etc.

Well here are the numbers..

2012 Suzki DL650A 25,356 miles

Purchase price w/fees @ auction : $ 1,523
2x fork tubes oem Suzuki : $457
Mechanic labor : $350(includes fluids and
Registration/Brake and lamp : $220

Total : $2,550

Not too bad, considering a clean title in my area will go for about 4k.So far I have put about 600miles on it and it rides amazing pulls great and runs great. Now the only missing piece is a front fender.

What are your thoughts? Not too shabby in my opinion, I will be on the lookout for more bikes to get at auction, apparently dual-sport/adventure style bikes are "hot" right now south of the border in Mexico and a cousin of mines that lives and rides down there and I will be exporting bikes from the auction and fixing/selling them there where they fetch a great price..people don't even care if they are salvaged down there you still get full price, no 1/2 off the clean title price how it is here.

attached is a picture of it when I brought it back from the auction. I do not have any other pics of it but it is pretty much exactly as pictured minus the auction stickers and the front fender
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180727_165225.jpg (505.8 KB, 33 views)
Big B, D.T., Gert and 1 others like this.

2012 Dl650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-07-2018, 08:14 AM
$tromtrooper

I think you did good. I watch and have bid on some Iaai 'stroms but so far they have gone for way more than I was willing to pay. Anyway, most have very light damage and I think rather than assume any future resonsibility/liability, the insurance company's write them off. There are soem good deals out there, but timing as usual, is everything.

Just keep an eye on ebay for a fender, one will pop up.

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #3 of 11 Old 10-07-2018, 10:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

According to Kelly Blue Book, you did good! Congrats.
I got a salvage locally and one of the kind members here had a serviceable front fender for $45 or so. A little scratched but not broken.
$350 for the fork work isn't out of typical shop time.
I need to get the tail light test done too. Expensive little check, eh? Used to be you go by the CHP office and the officer would check it and sign you off.
Enjoy your ride.

post #4 of 11 Old 10-07-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
I think you did good. I watch and have bid on some Iaai 'stroms but so far they have gone for way more than I was willing to pay. Anyway, most have very light damage and I think rather than assume any future resonsibility/liability, the insurance company's write them off. There are soem good deals out there, but timing as usual, is everything.

Just keep an eye on ebay for a fender, one will pop up.
Yeah that is usually what happens, especially with motorcycles. But you are right, timing is everything a salvage 2017 dl650 went for almost 4k the other day, wayy to much in my opinion. I will keep an eye out on ebay and here, not in a hurry to get that fender in there since it has not really rained anyways.

Thanks

2012 Dl650
post #5 of 11 Old 10-07-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
According to Kelly Blue Book, you did good! Congrats.
I got a salvage locally and one of the kind members here had a serviceable front fender for $45 or so. A little scratched but not broken.
$350 for the fork work isn't out of typical shop time.
I need to get the tail light test done too. Expensive little check, eh? Used to be you go by the CHP office and the officer would check it and sign you off.
Enjoy your ride.
Nice, a member here helped me out with a windscreen. I its really weird how when I look up a new fender from suzuzki for the 2017 model it is only 36$ new but when I look for a 2012-2016 it is 75$ ! A**holes know that there is a greater demand for 2012-16 since there are more on the road and charge double lol.

Yeah the check was 70$ , usually its about 80$ but the guy I take them too just sign them off and charges me 70 since I go somewhat often. And then you need the inspection at dmv , that is "free" although they do charge a fee for salvage titles so that is how they get paid. Either way there are deals out there , just have to be paintent and look. I will be on the lookout for my next bike soon, just picked up a r3 for my girlfriend to learn to ride.

2012 Dl650
post #6 of 11 Old 10-07-2018, 06:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

I got the registration in my name and paid the fees but still need the light check and surrender the old license plate.

On the lookout for the next bike? are you just fix and flipping them?
post #7 of 11 Old 10-07-2018, 07:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

YUUP, you can do well if you want to work on them. I hit deer number 2 on my 2015 Super Tenere. Progressive wrote me a check for $7,500, it was bent pretty good in the front and one pannier was racked badly. I kept the bike, since the damage was not a total.

I was in a hurry, so I just bought 2 complete new front fork legs for $750 each (only needed the bottom tubes really), fender for $50, 1 new handle bar clamp for $50 and a few minor pieces...forgot cost on them. Had it on the road again in 1 day. The plastic has some minor scratches if you look hard but some were there already from trail riding.

Purchase price all in with panniers etc was $14,200. So now I have $8,300 in my Super Tenere and it is much less painful for me to throw it on the ground.

BTW - here is how to straighten a racked pannier....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pannier fix.JPG (105.5 KB, 9 views)
Big B, notacop, Motor7 and 1 others like this.

"If its not broke yet, it can still be fixed"
post #8 of 11 Old 10-07-2018, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
I got the registration in my name and paid the fees but still need the light check and surrender the old license plate.

On the lookout for the next bike? are you just fix and flipping them?
I usually buy something I really want and keep it for awhile then sell , but I will be buying Harleys and dual sports to export soon to make extra $$.

What I will be looking for myself next at the auction is a 2012 and up Dl650 with top case and side cases on it already since they are pretty expensive and less miles or maybe a Klr

2012 Dl650
post #9 of 11 Old 10-07-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STCorndog View Post
YUUP, you can do well if you want to work on them. I hit deer number 2 on my 2015 Super Tenere. Progressive wrote me a check for $7,500, it was bent pretty good in the front and one pannier was racked badly. I kept the bike, since the damage was not a total.

I was in a hurry, so I just bought 2 complete new front fork legs for $750 each (only needed the bottom tubes really), fender for $50, 1 new handle bar clamp for $50 and a few minor pieces...forgot cost on them. Had it on the road again in 1 day. The plastic has some minor scratches if you look hard but some were there already from trail riding.

Purchase price all in with panniers etc was $14,200. So now I have $8,300 in my Super Tenere and it is much less painful for me to throw it on the ground.

BTW - here is how to straighten a racked pannier....
l
Yeah looks like it worked out great for you. Bikes like that end up at the auction and can go for a great price

2012 Dl650
post #10 of 11 Old 10-07-2018, 07:59 PM
Stromthusiast!

Nice job on the salvage, and a great deal for a ridable Strom.

I'm curious about buying bikes in the US and selling them in Mexico. Most countries have a problem with that, unless you complete mountains of paperwork and pay lots of fees. How does it work in Mexico?

If it's a good day to wash the bike, it's a better day to ride the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode