Help me find a good Power port location on my 2015 dl650 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

2Likes
  • 2 Post By thirdofthree

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 09-18-2018, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Help me find a good Power port location on my 2015 dl650

This may have been discussed numerous times, but I need pictures, please.
I am planning a trip from the lower 48 up through Whitehorse, Yukon, Dawson City, and eventually North up the Dempster Highway to Tuktoyaktuk in July 2019.
I have Oxford heated grips and am considering a heated vest. Maybe a full heated jacket liner would be nice, but I am realistic and do not expect my bike to be able to power too much more than my Oxford grips and a vest.
I am also a person who needs to keep low power things charged such as Garmin GPS, cell phone, IPad, Drone batteries (Mavic Air) probably inside my tank bag.
The big question is where to install power port(s) on my 2015 V-Strom 650 XT ABS.
Please, does anyone have good pictures and electrical installation suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-18-2018, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Mostly what I am talking about is a Powerlet location. I already have a battery tender that I can pull from under my seat to wherever I want. I am talking a bout a really neat and secure power port location.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-19-2018, 02:27 PM
$tromtrooper

I installed a 2x USB port and voltmeter up front, and a power port for heated jacket liner on the left side. See attached pics.

Installing in the vertical panel like my USB port and voltmeter as pictured, you have to be quite careful about placement and depth. There are some supports behind the plastics and varying amounts of available depth that make placement a little tricky. Were I to do it again, I'd probably install roughly on the horizontal sections circled in red -- fewer obstruction / depth considerations.

The heated jacket liner port on the left side is a little too far forward for my liking, so if I did it again I'd locate it more rearwards. Again, however, the structure of the plastics and the available space underneath the plastics will dictate possible alternative locations.

For tank bag, you might also consider just having a loose dongle to toss into your tank bag from the front, rear, or side of the bag. When not in use, you could tuck the dongle away / strap it down with velcro, etc.

Edit to add: the USB port and voltmeter are hooked up to the stock accessory plug, while the jacket liner power plug is connected to my switched fuse panel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8600_edit.jpg (378.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8601_edit.jpg (333.2 KB, 20 views)
VSrider and NeverSatisfied like this.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-19-2018, 04:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I just finished installing my Adventure Tech Auxiliary Shelf with a USB powerlet along with a rocker switch and a 12V outlet. I paired it with an Eastern Beaver 3 Circuit Solution- Sealed (3CS-S) that was made specifically for our bikes.

Auxiliary Shelves (main page) - AdventureTech, LLC.

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/B...om/vstrom.html

2013 Zuki V-Strom 650 ABS

First bike, first time rider.

Not an adrenaline junky.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-19-2018, 05:31 PM
$tromtrooper

I have two of these mounted on the handlebars. One is wired directly to the battery always hot), the other to the accessories connector.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode