Join Date: May 2013
Location: Port Stanley area, Ontario Canada
Time to pass on a '13?
Hey everyone... looking for opinions on my '13 650 adventure. I now have 65k (kms) on it. I bought it at the end of 2013 used with 10k on the clock... It's been an absolute blast, but on the last trip it let me down. I managed to get home on it with a bit of stress. The general question is - should I invest in this one that I have just the way I like it, or, pass it on, and invest in a new '18 or '19 next year?
My preference is to stick with this one as I've got it they way I like it with: seat, windshield, agustus deflectors, bags, pegs, mirrors and a few other customizations.
However, I'm now worried that the next time it might be something catastrophic that will require a truck to get home.
Here are the things I've done to it so far over the years - what else should I do to ensure it gives me many more happy miles?
- Stator. Burned out the first one before the recall. For the recall they sent back my burnt one, so I actually have a spare now.
- New double sealed Japanese wheel bearings. A friend though maybe something was wrong with stock. They ended up being ok, but cheap insurance in case they were bad.
- Chain and sprockets (obviously). Current set has 10k on them maybe.
- Brake pads
- Coolant changed (7k ago)
- Plugs changed
- Valve recall done at ~45k - nothing was wrong and they only only adjusted one that was a bit loose.
- Replaced dash and front wire harness. Water got in the original - this one is now well sealed.
- New starter/kill switch assembly is in the mail (this is the most recent failure)
- Battery, filter and a few sets of tires. no bulbs yet though.
These are this things I'm worried about:
- Fuel pump - it's getting louder and louder
- Starter and/or starter gear on the crank. With the busted switch - I drove it at least once with the starter engaged and headlights out. Took me a bit to figure out what the noise was when I had the clutch pulled in! :-(
- Front spring/shocks.. I sometimes times think that the front is just a spring and no longer good at damping.
- Clutch? I'm not hard on it or anything, but, it is a wear item, and how long do they last?
- General health and condition of the hoses, wires, switches, etc...
Thoughts? Of course, if money were no object it'd be on the block already and new one on order - every year there would be a new one at the start of the year! ;-)