Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tarneit, Vic Australia
Congrats on the purchase.
I can only let you know what I have and works well for me, there will be plenty of others with different setups, you just need to decide which works best for you.
- Panniers -> i have avduro bags from Andy Strapz - they work quite well and are fairly flexible with how much/little you can put in them. Add in some liner bags, a few strapz, and a waterproof roll-top duffle and you can fit a fair bit on the bike. I use these with PM Racks as i don't use any hard luggage. I'm sure there are other softbags out there that are quite good too. Nelson Riggs and I think Wolfman get a fair few mentions around here. All of this wtih racks was probably ~$700
- Hard side cases -> I don't have any. I find soft bags to be more than enough for me. Hardcases are lockable, but other than that it would be down to personal preference.
- Top case -> Don't have one, just use an A-Bag from Andy or a duffle bag.
- Slide bars -> I went with givi. Seemed to be better braced and bigger tube than some others (at the time), work well with my bash plate. Been a while, but i think ~ $300
- Bash plate -> I went with B&B, but braced to the crashbars instead of the exhaust header. A couple of pieces of flat aluminium and some u-bolts to go around the crash bars and was all done. ~ $300 I think
- Barkbusters -> Go with barkbusters, you won't get better protection, and this will be vital if you're going offroad, even just a light drop can kill your levers and leave you stranded. ~$180
- anything else that i'm forgetting -> Depending on how much off-road, a good set of 50-50 to 70-30 tires would help immensely. I can recommend the Mitas E07, but i think they have changed the tread recently and the jury is still out on the new ones. If you don't have one already, a fork brace from adventuretech will help stabilise the front end on the dirt (and will help with crosswinds and crap road surfaces in general). And then whatever you need to deal with buffeting, but there is a big thread on that, so won't go into any details here.
I'm really happy with my setup, allows me to fit a fair bit on the bike if i need to, and I've had a couple of slow-speed drops and everything has held up really well, just a few scratches on the paint and plastic wings on the handguards, nothing broken or bent. I will say that i mostly do day trips and overnighters, and I never commute, so I don't have a huge need to leave the bike alone with all my gear on it. If you do, then lockable hard luggage might be a better option
A couple of other sites you could look at that might have parts you're after are motostorm.it and japan.webike.net
Good luck and let us know what you decide on.