Bigger mirrors for my 2015 Wee - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 09-05-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Bigger mirrors for my 2015 Wee

Hi all,
Apologies if I missed a specific thread on mirrors. I did see the one on buffeting and went through it, did a search. I would like to get bigger mirrors, at further distance out, for better sight line and safety. I did see information about Rick's extenders and think this is part of the solution. I also have some eye issues and want a bigger view.
Any recommendations? I am also aware that changing up mirrors can affect buffeting. Would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks all!

2015 DL650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-05-2018, 07:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Colorado View Post
Hi all,
Apologies if I missed a specific thread on mirrors. I did see the one on buffeting and went through it, did a search. I would like to get bigger mirrors, at further distance out, for better sight line and safety. I did see information about Rick's extenders and think this is part of the solution. I also have some eye issues and want a bigger view.
Any recommendations? I am also aware that changing up mirrors can affect buffeting. Would appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks all!

I have a set of mirrors off one of my Guzzi's. More aerodynamic than the DL stockers.

$48 PayPal F&F or add 3% to cover fee's. Shipping included in the lower 48.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V7.jpg (61.5 KB, 11 views)
post #3 of 12 Old 09-05-2018, 07:51 PM
Hmm
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thank you for the guidance gentlemen.

Bill
I been down around Houston Texas where the sun shines most of the time.

2008 Wee current
2014 Spyder RT LTD current

Past - Yamaha 850, Honda Nighthawk 700, Honda GL1200, Yamaha FJ1200, Suzuki Bandit 1200, Honda GL1800

post #4 of 12 Old 09-05-2018, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
The OEM DL650 mirrors are quite large. My issue with many Suzuki's has always been the great view you get of your arms and shoulders, and that the view of both mirrors does not overlap.
I highly recommend that before looking at an alternative mirror that you install some mirror extenders.
Big B likes this.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100
post #5 of 12 Old 09-06-2018, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies! Appreciate the offer of the Guzzi mirrors. In looking at mirrors online, the Suzuki stock mirrors don't seem that small. I think I will start with extending them out and see if that works well enough.
Best
John

2015 DL650
post #6 of 12 Old 09-06-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hello Brockie,
Your advice makes sense. I've seen Rick's extenders mentioned in a forum somewhere here. Are there any other extender options you would suggest to consider?
Thanks
John

2015 DL650
post #7 of 12 Old 09-06-2018, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Colorado View Post
Hello Brockie,
Your advice makes sense. I've seen Rick's extenders mentioned in a forum somewhere here. Are there any other extender options you would suggest to consider?
Thanks
John

Nope, don't go Chinese or other knock offs.......go with Rick, and you'll be spending more money with him too.
Brockie likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #8 of 12 Old 09-06-2018, 01:09 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Nope, don't go Chinese or other knock offs.......go with Rick, and you'll be spending more money with him too.
+1. Rick offers some excellent equipment, or "creature comforts" custom made for these bikes. I am using his extenders (among at least a half dozen other items) and they are perfect. Only the innermost corner of the mirror image includes my elbows.

I have always preferred to set my car side mirrors wide and low. For example, I don't see much sky and do not see my own vehicle (I know where that is and can use the rear view mirror to see directly behind me). I set them wide enough that I can see the rear of the car next to me in the mirror AND the front of the car with my eye when glancing at the mirror. Effectively removing the blind spots for my car completely (actually they still exist, but they are in the second lane over, instead of next to me).

I can't do that with the motorcycle mirrors as much because I do need to see directly behind me with at least one of the side mirrors. This opens up some blind spot issues. I have trained myself well to always check over my shoulder, but would still like to get better coverage of the blind spot in the lane next to me. So far the best way I've found to eliminate the blind spot was to add stick on mirrors to the bottom inside corners of the stock mirrors. This covers up the image of my elbows with a wide angle view of the road immediately next to me. Takes some getting used to so you don't freak out when you see a car in the mirror. Also, finding a small enough mirror to not waste too much real estate on the stock mirrors was tricky. The adjustable ones are nice, but suffer from the vibrations inherent on most bikes. I found some that mount on pedestals, which allows me to cheat a bit and mount them further inboard. Gotta be careful that they don't take too much wind. Once a final position is determined, I can either glue the ball joint, or try to print a fixed base. One of the mirrors holds pretty well, the other vibrates loose all the time. Still experimenting.

I eventually swapped out the stock mirrors for the Aprilla Tuono mirrors that are discussed at length on this forum. They are not as tall, but are a bit wider than stock mirrors. In my opinion they do look much better and fit the styling of the bike better than the stock. They also seem to bring a noticeable improvement in buffeting. However, they have a much smaller field of view AND the bottom outside corner that would provide me with that look into the blind spot is designed off of them. The blind spot situation is significantly worsened with these mirrors. I have yet to look into printing a bracket or something to clip on an extra piece of mirror in that corner, but if I can't figure something out I'll probably dump the Tuono mirrors. It bothers me to see a vehicle approaching in the side mirror and then completely disappear for what seems like forever until it reappears in my peripheral vision. With vehicles being as quiet as they are these days and drivers not paying active attention and just subconsciously pacing in exactly the blind spot, I would reluctantly prefer the ugly and turbulent stockers to the sleek and smooth Tuonos.

(Which reminds me, I should probably pop over to that other thread and post an update about the Tuono Mirrors.)
post #9 of 12 Old 09-06-2018, 01:51 PM
Stromthusiast!

Also be advised that the mirror extenders also elevate the mirrors more. The DL mirrors are big and as aerodynamic as a brick so they also cause a lot of turbulence which also translates to helmet buffeting. When you elevate the mirrors it raises up the turbulence which for me was right at helmet level.

Mirror extenders are great as they get the mirrors wider and you have a better field of view but there is sometime a trade off. Eventually I gave up on the stock mirrors and bought a set of Double Take Adventure mirrors plugged them into my extenders and was a lot happier. The DT ADV mirrors are about 6 inches lower then the stockers and buffeting was dramatically reduced.

Mirror extenders are a given. But if you want high mirrors you'll most likely need to get something more aerodynamic. If having a lower mirror isn't a concern then the DT ADV's are the way to go.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-07-2018, 06:21 PM
$tromtrooper

Extenders!

It solved the visibility and buffeting issues.

Two wheelz for realz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode