She needed a drink! - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Puk
  • 1 Post By MAZ4ME

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-03-2018, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Puk
Stromthusiast!

Garage
She needed a drink!

In the last two days my 2012 dl650 started to develop a problem. She wouldn't accelerate in a hurry, hesitating big-time, and wouldn't go over about 5 and a half thousand revs at all.

I came in last night, looked at this forum, tried to diagnose the problem, settled on a plan of attack and got up this morning on my day off to give it a go.

I have only just got the bike, don't have a workshop manual yet, but kept removing screws etc until I could lift the tank, then tried the quick fuel pump test, looking for 300-350ml in a jar. Would have been lucky to get 90ml after the three start-up cycles. Hmm, maybe this is the problem.

So while I had that much done, I took the tank off, then headed into the Suzuki dealership in town and picked up the "strainer" filter and a new o-ring.

Got home and pulled the fuel pump assembly out, pulled it apart, and the strainer was black as the ace of spades. I could hardly blow air through it, and for the bike to pull fuel through this thing would have been like trying to drink a beer through a blanket!

I carb-cleaned the rest of the pump assembly, and had to reverse flush and blow out the high pressure filter in the end section, as the shop did not have another one. I am waiting to see how this goes before shelling out $150 on a new one. I know the external filter mod is possible, but will hold off for now.

Put it all back together, and the quick fuel pump test saw about 300ml in the three cycles go into the jar. What a difference! Did a 50klm round trip to get some decent fuel (my little town doesn't seem to have very good fuel) and she accelerated beautifully, up through 7k rpm's and beyond.

It's amazing the difference it makes when she gets to drink as much as she needs! Saved me a bit over getting the shop to do it, too.
Thanks to the forum for the info, another job I now know how to do. (Cleaned the air filter while I was in there, might be time for a new one of those, too)

Puk
notacop likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-03-2018, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Excellent job, Puk!.
But I have to say, I'm amazed that your dealer had the parts you needed!
post #3 of 8 Old 09-03-2018, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Puk
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
Excellent job, Puk!.
But I have to say, I'm amazed that your dealer had the parts you needed!

So was I!

that being said, he didn't have the top section containing the HP filter, there aren't any in the country apparently, and I am trying to decide whether to order one "just in case" or wait and see what happens.

Interestingly, I had just changed to Shinko 705's and a givi airflow screen, and about the same time, noticed I was using 5.1 litres per 100klm, rather that the usual 4.6 I put it down to the new tires or screen. After doing this today, it was back to 4.6, so I might have a little bit of a "red flag" to look for in my mileage next time, before she even starts to stutter.

I am surprised the fuel pump didn't burn out, having to work so hard..

post #4 of 8 Old 09-03-2018, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

In the parts microfiche, the strainer is at the bottom of the pump assembly, but the top section is called "Regulator', no mention of a high-pressure filter in the parts list for the pump.
I checked the pump assy for my '14 DL1K and it's basically the same. Again, no mention of a high-pressure filter.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-03-2018, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Puk
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Oh, I was under the impression it was inside the section that contained the regulator. I just assumed it had a HP filter, as every other model had one, as well as the "pre-strainer". If there wasn't one in there, great, but it would be interesting to find out.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-03-2018, 02:49 AM
Super Moderator

Puk, my Suzuki Service Manual shows a non-replaceable high pressure filter in the bottom of that top section housing the pressure regulator. In diagnosis for low fuel delivery they specifically mention the pump itself and the fuel mesh filter at the bottom of the pump as probable causes.
Fuel Pressure spec is 43 psi, fuel discharge amount is 167ml per 10 seconds.
Kurtk likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-03-2018, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Puk
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Oh, so I was right. Cool. I know where to get another one if I need to. $150 is better than some of the old ones, which were many hundreds of dollars!
post #8 of 8 Old 09-07-2018, 06:32 PM
$tromtrooper

Would this be a case for running Techron, or similar, periodically through our fuel to keep the fuel system clean... me thinks yes.

Two wheelz for realz!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode