Are there any simply Plug&Play aftermarket handlebars? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-22-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Are there any simply Plug&Play aftermarket handlebars?

got lost in all the threads about handlebars and wanted to ask if you have any reccomendations on close to OEM but a little bit higher handlebar that I can jst buy and install with no need for drilling into them and buying more parts for adjustment.

Please don't redirect me to the big handlebar threads. if possible, from you rexprience just a model name or a link for buying would be much appriciated!

thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-22-2018, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

sorry forgot - 2015 dla 650

my model is - 2015 dla 650
post #3 of 13 Old 08-22-2018, 11:09 AM
$tromtrooper

Another option is risers but you can only go about an inch and a half higher without cable problems. Easy install.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-22-2018, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

my handlebar is bent by an accident. i need a new one.
post #5 of 13 Old 08-22-2018, 11:29 AM
Stromthusiast!

post #6 of 13 Old 08-22-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

not much info there. link doesnt work for me
post #7 of 13 Old 08-22-2018, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

whats the info in that?

maybe you can explain how to use this list?
post #8 of 13 Old 08-22-2018, 01:17 PM
$tromtrooper

The previous link posted by Gert details specs for the stock handlebars# and how they compare to a variety of aftermarket handlebars. So if you want slightly higher bars, but wish to maintain the pullback, review the specs accordingly.

# I'm not convinced the stock handlebar specs in the post match the '12-16 650. The height differential between stock and my aftermarket bars, and to a lesser degree the pullback differential, does not look, feel, or measure as expected based on the stock handlebar specs in the post. Now, it's entirely possible I flubbed the measurements and my eyeballs are otherwise deceived.

Whether any given recommendation will work for you will...depend. A few things to consider, which are probably in play (if applicable) irrespective of the aftermarket bar in question:

• Bar end weights (aka balancers). If you want go with aluminum bars and intend to re-use the stock bar-end weights, you'll have to swap out the internal bar-end weight hardware. I did so from my local hardware store for just a couple dollars: 2 flange nuts and 2 short lengths of 1/4" fuel hose.

• Control pods' tabs. I think both L and R control pods have a tab which slots into a hole on the stock bars. (I apparently snapped off the tabs, if any, ages ago when adjusting the angle of the control pods / mirrors.) Tightened down normally, without the tabs, my pods have never moved (with either stock or aftermarket bars).

• Accessory mounting. Aftermarket bars will have a different bend and may have a crossbar, either of which could prove problematic for bar-mounted existing accessories (handguards / handguard frames, ball mounts, USB, etc.). The crossbar got in the way of mounting my Moose Racing Contour handguard frames. I was able to shift the frames outwards and still get a decent fit: instead of connecting the frames between the bar-end weight and handlebars, doing so outside the bar-end weight.

At any rate, I had to replace my stock bars due to a bend from one of 3 no-speed naps it's taken so far. I was actually quite surprised one of the naps bent the bars. Since I had to change anyway, I decided I wanted taller (I had already installed bar risers for the stock bars) and less pullback.

I replaced the stock bars with the Tusk T-10 ATV Sport Bend (~$30), and removed the previously installed bar risers. The T-10 ATV SB are a little wider, a little taller than the stock bars (but not by as much as I had hoped), and they have noticeably less pullback. I had previously installed bar risers for the stock bars, due to some discomfort (in the shoulder blade area, not the wrists). Turns out my focus was mis-placed -- the risers, while an improvement, didn't address my discomfort, while the reduced pullback made a big positive difference in comfort for me.
mjss25 likes this.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-22-2018, 07:34 PM
2015 DL650

Garage
I just upgraded my handle bars. The post describes some issues and solutions to installing handle bars. Hope this helps. I had bent my stock bars. I am very happy with the upgrade.

The hole diameter of aftermarket handlebars will be narrower, so you'll have solve for that in order to install the bar ends.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/#/topics/414559

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-14-2018, 08:00 AM
Stromthusiast!

I went with Pro Tapers Mid ATV and they are great, easy install I also added up and back risers. Stock cables worked fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode