Happy Trails center stand woes - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 08-21-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Happy Trails center stand woes

Three years and 12,000 miles ago I put a HT center stand on my new-to-me 2012 wee2. I haven't ridden in the winter on salted roads and seldom in rain and it's been garaged. The price was considerably less than an OEM Suzuki stand. At the time, I thought the gauge of the steel tubing was pretty minimal but it's functioned properly since then. All the fasteners on the stand and those provided to bolt it to the bike were unplated steel and began to rust almost immediately and now after 3 years were severely rusted - to the point of almost not being able to get them off. In addition, the stand itself was rusting badly. I planned to remove the stand, take it down to bare metal, prime, and repaint with a good quality paint. Also I intended to replace all the fasteners with stainless, using anti-seize. When I got it off, on closer inspection, the rust on the stand was bad enough that I decided to just throw the whole mess out. Also, there was one badly rusted pivot bolt that was a custom machined part that wasn't replaceable with stainless. My gripes are that either the surface prep, the priming, or paint was poor and secondly, the fasteners should have been stainless. I can't imagine that it would have increased the cost of production much to make these improvements. Long story short, I have an OEM stand on order and hopefully it'll last longer than the HT. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
MAZ4ME likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-21-2018, 12:29 PM
Stromthusiast!

Just curious as I will eventually purchase a stand for my wee2, did you contact HT to see if they would do anything for you?
post #3 of 15 Old 08-21-2018, 12:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zener View Post
Three years and 12,000 miles ago I put a HT center stand on my new-to-me 2012 wee2. I haven't ridden in the winter on salted roads and seldom in rain and it's been garaged. The price was considerably less than an OEM Suzuki stand. At the time, I thought the gauge of the steel tubing was pretty minimal but it's functioned properly since then. All the fasteners on the stand and those provided to bolt it to the bike were unplated steel and began to rust almost immediately and now after 3 years were severely rusted - to the point of almost not being able to get them off. In addition, the stand itself was rusting badly. I planned to remove the stand, take it down to bare metal, prime, and repaint with a good quality paint. Also I intended to replace all the fasteners with stainless, using anti-seize. When I got it off, on closer inspection, the rust on the stand was bad enough that I decided to just throw the whole mess out. Also, there was one badly rusted pivot bolt that was a custom machined part that wasn't replaceable with stainless. My gripes are that either the surface prep, the priming, or paint was poor and secondly, the fasteners should have been stainless. I can't imagine that it would have increased the cost of production much to make these improvements. Long story short, I have an OEM stand on order and hopefully it'll last longer than the HT. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
I have an OEM center stand in the classifieds with all the hardware that will save you $100+ over new.

https://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/41...ter-stand.html

post #4 of 15 Old 08-21-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

No, I didn't check with HT. I figured what are they going to say after 3 years? Even if they offered to replace it I wouldn't have wanted another one.

I never thought to look in the classifieds, bummer. I got a good discounted price on a new one but yours would have saved me $40. Thanks anyway!
rodentface likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-21-2018, 02:39 PM
$tromtrooper

Quote:
No, I didn't check with HT. I figured what are they going to say after 3 years? Even if they offered to replace it I wouldn't have wanted another one.

I never thought to look in the classifieds, bummer. I got a good discounted price on a new one but yours would have saved me $40. Thanks anyway!
I'll echo zener here - I've had the same problems with my Murphy stand that he's had. (And the feet of the stand are narrow enough that I find it barely stable enough even on a flat surface.) Haven't replaced mine yet, but I will soon.

I should have spent more the first time around for a stand that was more stable and would last longer than 3 years.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
post #6 of 15 Old 08-21-2018, 03:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:

Fair enough. I thought maybe HT could have improved their process since you bought the first one, but it's understandable not to want to screw with it again. May I ask where you got your OEM stand?
post #7 of 15 Old 08-21-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I ordered it on ebay (buy-it-now) from an OEM parts supplier - seller name ocp-parts-warehouse. The stand was available from a lot of different sellers but this one was least expensive and had good feedback. And I called them and they were very helpful on the phone.
FarmTruck likes this.

Last edited by zener; 08-21-2018 at 03:33 PM.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-21-2018, 04:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
I ordered it on ebay (buy-it-now) from an OEM parts supplier - seller name ocp-parts-warehouse. The stand was available from a lot of different sellers but this one was least expensive and had good feedback. And I called them and they were very helpful on the phone.
Thank you.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-21-2018, 04:33 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:

If for some reason it doesn't work out let me know. I can save you closer to $80.
post #10 of 15 Old 08-21-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

OK, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode