Happy Trails center stand woes - Page 2 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 Old 08-23-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I received the OEM center stand today and I wish I had been able to compare the OEM to the HT before I bought the HT three years ago. The OEM stand is so much better quality than the HT it's not even close. Way more heavy duty and the width between feet on the OEM is 4" wider than the HT making it much more stable. Before I install it, I'm going to give it a couple coats of Rustoleum satin black just to give it extra protection so it'll probably be a week before it's on. I'll add a review when that gets done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 08-23-2018, 07:13 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zener View Post
I received the OEM center stand today and I wish I had been able to compare the OEM to the HT before I bought the HT three years ago. The OEM stand is so much better quality than the HT it's not even close. Way more heavy duty and the width between feet on the OEM is 4" wider than the HT making it much more stable. Before I install it, I'm going to give it a couple coats of Rustoleum satin black just to give it extra protection so it'll probably be a week before it's on. I'll add a review when that gets done.
Great review, thanks.
post #13 of 15 Old 08-27-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

After giving the new OEM stand a couple coats of semi-gloss black Rustoleum and letting it dry for several days, I installed it today. I probably didn't need to put on the extra paint but I wasn't in a hurry and stands usually take a beating under the bike.
Mounting took about an hour because I was being careful and there were several different sizes of bolts with different torque specs. I did use the instruction booklet that came with the stand which is remarkable because it seems like nothing comes with printed instructions anymore. More often than not, you need to check out instructions online. So it was nice having the booklet. If I had it to do again it would take about 15 minutes. But that's not going to happen because this stand will last the life of the bike because the quality, weight, and ruggedness is far above that of the HT. The only difficult part was the attachment of the springs. There are two, one inside the other. I had to make a spring puller which was pictured in the instruction booklet. It's basically like a T-handled meat hook - with a 10" shank and a small hook on the end to pull the U hook on the end of each spring over the attachment point on the stand. It would have been nearly impossible to do without this tool or something like it - the springs were very strong so I had a friend help me. After the stand and all the bolts were installed and torqued, I wired the stand into the up position. Then I pulled the springs (with great effort!), one at a time, while he guided them onto the attachment lug. I started with the smaller diameter inner spring first. The stand comes with a thick rubber bumper which works great. Glad to get it done!
Nicad likes this.

post #14 of 15 Old 09-04-2018, 11:27 PM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for the review! I also have a HT centerstand on my 2015 that I'm not too happy with. No corrosion (I live in the desert), but the springs no longer hold it up tightly and the pivot hardware has developed quite a bit of play. 11k miles on my 2015, so similar usage to yours.

Greg

2015 DL650A
post #15 of 15 Old 04-16-2019, 05:37 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

spring failure

I purchased the HT centerstand about a month ago and a spring pailed within a week. I replaced with a spring from ace hardware but it is not as firm or thick as the one from HT. I emailed them and they sent me some replacements. I will probably be upgrading the bolts as well before it's too late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode