DL650 XT exhaust halp - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old 08-16-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
DL650 XT exhaust halp

I did a lot of digging and cannot, for the life of me, find a definitive answer. The Wee/Glee have a lot of aftermarket exhaust options. Each and every one, however, have fitment issues with the XT luggage rack according to the exhaust manufacturer. None of the manufacturers will specify what, precisely, the fitment issues involve though. Emails have gone unanswered. I would like to find an aftermarket exhaust that works with the OEM side case rack on the XT. Does anyone know of such a system?

Being slow doesn't make a boring bike. I had a R1 which I thought was boring. Boring is a bike that doesn't speak to you. If you like what your bike is saying let it's voice take you to far flung places. - Vertical C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-18-2018, 10:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

As you may know, there are many different rack systems and different ones Suzuki used over the years but I guess we are talking the SW Motech on ~2015 650XT, in my case.

This is a Delkevic KIT14H2 exhaust system ~$235 in Dec '17 sale. As you can see it almost touches the rack. I twisted it a little to get the bottom point of the tri-oval muffle just past where it would have been resting / wearing on the rack. Might not be exactly how Delkevic expected it to be mounted but works for me.

So, why do so many systems have a fitment issue? If a little shorter, the exhaust would burn the paint off of the rack. If it is a longer and rounder muffler, the rack is in the way, etc. If I took 1" off of mid-pipe going into the muffler, I think I could have mounted it correctly, it wouldn't touch the rack, and the hot exhaust gases wouldn't burn any paint off of the rack.

These exhaust system companies have to be able to mass produce identical systems to make money. It's the owners and the other end that add restrictions for a "good enough" fit of a mass produced product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018_Delkevic_Tip Issue_2018.08.18.jpg (230.7 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode