Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: America's Dairyland
The Wee is howling.
I just completed a multi-day trip on my 2012 DL650. About midway through Day 1 I noticed what I can best describe as a loud, persistent howling sound.
- Occurs only between 46-49 mph.
- It happens in all gears.
- Louder upon deceleration.
- Front tire is a Shinko 705 (70% on-road, 30% off-road) with around 4000 miles on it, worn about 10%.
- Rear tire is Shinko 705 with over 8000 miles on it, worn about 90% (planning to nurse it to the end of the season, then replace).
- Road surface didn't make any difference (road concrete, blacktop, and gravel).
I'm hoping it's just whine from the slightly knobbied tire. I'm concerned it could be wheel bearings.
If it's a good day to wash the bike, it's a better day to ride the bike.