Is upgrading the brake calipers and master cylinder worth it? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 08-07-2018, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
2015 DL650

Garage
Is upgrading the brake calipers and master cylinder worth it?

After riding a buddies KTM 1090, the brakes on my Wee seem lacking. The brembo brakes were amazing on the KTM, and got me thinking if my next project should be a full upgrade of the brakes. I did expect the brembo brakes to be superior, I just didn't expect there to be such a noticeable difference.

For the Strommers that have done the full/ partial upgrade to master cylinder, 4-pot calipers, and braided SS lines, did you find that the upgrade was worth it? Or maybe if the master cylinder upgrade alone would provide enough benefit.

I should add that I have already swapped out the front pads with the EBC double-sintered pads.

Thanks in advance for the insight

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

No need for the master cylinder. No need for the braided stainless lines. But both would make incremental improvement.

I installed the 4 piston calipers on my 2012 DL 650. It now has decent brakes. Before doing this it was "pull the front brake lever damn near to the grip for maximum effort stopping"!

Buying the 4 piston calipers and brackets is worth ALL the money and effort. It is that much of an improvement.

I had HH pads on the stock calipers.

There are some who have done this conversion and were less than completely satisfied. I will tell you that I think they never got all the air out of the system. That isn't easy. Too me a few days to get it right.
mattski1, Lrobby99 and NVDucati like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #3 of 24 Old 08-07-2018, 06:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Any web links for calipers/brackets ?

post #4 of 24 Old 08-07-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
2015 DL650

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
Any web links for calipers/brackets ?
Blair at svracingparts.com, this is where I have been looking.
Cymro likes this.

post #5 of 24 Old 08-07-2018, 06:46 PM
Stromthusiast!

Agreed you can make the brakes better on the DL650 but go in knowing they will only be better and not comparable to high end systems.

Keep in mind the old saying "no mater how much you polish a turd in the end its still a turd".
Spec likes this.
post #6 of 24 Old 08-07-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
2015 DL650

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerazziMx14 View Post
Keep in mind the old saying "no mater how much you polish a turd in the end its still a turd".
😂😂😂 very well said.

I dont expect to match the KTM braking prowess, but now that I know the brakes are underperforming getting up to par has become my next project.

For those that dont want to upgrade your brakes, keep away from expensive bikes with really good braking systems 😉

post #7 of 24 Old 08-07-2018, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
2015 DL650

Garage
Realshelby, thanks for your insight. Appreciate you sharing

I am pondering an experiment. Adding the calipers, taking some braking distance measures. Then adding the master cylinder, taking some additional braking distant measures. It wont be scientific enough for the an article in the Journal of Medicine, but would be entertaining to read while sipping a beer.
vegashotwheeler and NVDucati like this.

post #8 of 24 Old 08-07-2018, 07:40 PM
Stromthusiast!

A master cylinder is matched to the caliper/s. Adding a larger M/C will make the brakes feel wooden and will take more effort to stop. Add to small of a M/C and other problems arise.

As for getting air of the system, reverse bleeding is the only way to go. My Guzzi T3 with linked brakes has broken mortals trying to bleed them. When I totally rebuilt the braking brake system I was worried after hearing all the horror stories. Pints and pints of brake fluid, vacuum bleeders and hours of time. Well in 20 minutes using the reverse bleed method I had the entire system bled and all tools and put away.
post #9 of 24 Old 08-08-2018, 08:02 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Richland Rick at adventuretech.biz was going to make the caliper brackets available. I would check with him first.

Changing the master cylinder is more complicated than it seems. Giving up your factory mirror mount for instance. Then there is the sizing. While it seems the 4 piston caliper would NEED a bigger displacement master cylinder, that isn't necessarily true. The stock calipers have much larger pistons, so the amount of fluid needed to apply pressure isn't all that different. The 4 piston calipers work better in part due to EVEN pressures across the pads as well as a bit more force. Again, bleeding the system after installing 4 piston calipers seems to be where you are either happy or not so much. Reverse bleeding is something I would certainly try next time. I went through two quart bottles of fluid getting mine right! I think the problem is getting air out at the master cylinder hose junction.

Stainless steel hoses would probably help even more. I am happy enough with mine as they are. Two fingers on the lever and you can give the front tire all it can handle. Stainless braided hoses would increase feel and response I believe.
Big B and mattski1 like this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #10 of 24 Old 08-08-2018, 09:40 AM
Stromthusiast!

I guess I'm spoiled by never having had good brakes on all the Beemers I've had. The brakes on my 04 Wee seem fine. They seem a bit better with stock pads and a fluid change.
I guess like horsepower, if you've never had it you don't miss it.
Maybe I under ride my sight line and don't need panic stopping power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode