LED headlight eliminate need for EB Headlight adapter? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

3Likes
  • 1 Post By Wildbill1945
  • 1 Post By realshelby
  • 1 Post By Toadster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-04-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
LED headlight eliminate need for EB Headlight adapter?

I've recently put LED headlights in:
CSP H11 880 9005 9006 H1 H3 H7 LED Headlight bulbs 50W 8000lm 6500k lights Kit

The bike also already had the Easter Beaver H4 Dual Headlight Relay Kit installed.
With the low draw of the LED headlights, would the relay kit really still be needed?

Thanks!

Got the heart attack over and done with - Prudhoe Bay or Bust!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-04-2018, 03:57 PM
Stromthusiast!

Possibly

You cut the continuous power draw 50% but still would have 4 amps going through the start switch if you remove the relay harness. I did a similar install and did not buy and install the relay harness. My riding buddy decided to install the relay harness plus a kill switch for one head light because he decided not to install LED and stuck with OEM halogen lights drawing 4 amps each. Greywolf seemed to always advise using a relay because it will protect the start switch. You can use an alternative start sequence so the headlight power only runs through the start switch one time: turn on the Run switch, depress the Start switch (this kills power to the lights), turn on the ignition key, then when you engage the clutch by pulling the handle to the bar, the engine will start and you will release the Start switch as usual. Normally the lights go on when you turn on the ignition switch, they go out when you press the start switch, and they come back on when you release the start switch. In theory, reducing the number of times you power the headlights on and off by 50% should decrease the "load" on the start switch and so should reducing the power in the light circuit by 50% as you have already done. The relay harness is best so I'd likely not remove it.
slane6 likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-04-2018, 05:48 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

The answer is "yes", running the EB headlight relay kit with LED headlights. Even though LED are consuming much less power than Halogen, there is still a good size inrush of current when they turn on and while running. Is your V Strom less likely to develop the well known starter switch problems if you run LED lights from new? Yes, I would say it is. But it isn't immune from it. The EB headlight relay kit all but eliminates problems of headlight circuits.
slane6 likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]

post #4 of 7 Old 07-05-2018, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thanks for the input!

Got the heart attack over and done with - Prudhoe Bay or Bust!
post #5 of 7 Old 07-05-2018, 07:19 PM
Stromthusiast!

Be warned reducing the electrical load will put more heat into your stator if you have the original regulator, this could shorten the life of the stator.

Some of the 19 rides in my shed
2014 V2, Snoopy
2009 Wee, Pumbaa the pig
WR450F, The Blue Postie Bike
YZ250N smoker with rego, Stinky.
Yamaha MT09 (FZ09), The Scud missile.
Club Lead not Club Med.
He with the most toys wins.
Out of my depth in a puddle.
Live life on the edge you will see more that way.
Ridding a motorcycle keeps things in balance.
At the end of each trail and at the end of each day history is made.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-06-2018, 12:58 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
Be warned reducing the electrical load will put more heat into your stator if you have the original regulator, this could shorten the life of the stator.
Wouldn't there be more heat in the regulator, not the stator, since the regulator pulls maximum wattage from the stator at all times without a regulator upgrade? The regulator would have more energy to dissipate and would become hotter with the LED lights.
tomrux likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-06-2018, 01:57 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadster View Post
Wouldn't there be more heat in the regulator, not the stator, since the regulator pulls maximum wattage from the stator at all times without a regulator upgrade? The regulator would have more energy to dissipate and would become hotter with the LED lights.
Yep to this

Cheers Tom R

"No Fear" just means you are not going fast enouh yet. life begins when you get outside that comfort zone.
Current rides
18 Busa
14 Vee2
13 Husky TR 650 Terra
08 Busa(now sold)
07Vee1(now sold)
02 Busa (sold)
97 TLs
97 TRX
92 NSr
Current Projects
38 BSA Goldie
Upcoming projects,perhaps by the time I get retired just maybe
83 GSX11(gunna be bought forward now as I don't have a going across frame 4)
71 A100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode