Alternates to OEM forks - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old 07-04-2018, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Unhappy Alternates to OEM forks

Hello, I am new to this forum. I just bought a 2012 DL650 from the insurance auction and the front forks are bent. In my search to find replacements I was unable to find a used oem pair (or even one of them) anywhere on ebay, salvage yards etc.. Is there any cheaper replacements than new OEM ? They are about 650 each minimum [B]yikes..[B] Im already in 1500 for the bike, and if the tubes are this expensive I might just have to sell it or part it out because it would end up being to expensive, I would rather search for a clean running one. The bike has 25k miles it was listed as starts and runs but I cant get it to even crank.. I hear the fuel pump but nothing happens even with a jump pack on it.

Anyways, any alternative out there? Any other year that is interchangeable like 2004-2011 ? or from other models?

2012 Dl650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-04-2018, 03:20 AM
Super Moderator

I can't tell you if any other forks are interchangeable, but I can tell you that both upper and lower fork tubes have different part numbers between the '12-'16 models and the '11 and earlier model DL650 Vstroms.
The most commonly bent items are the upper tubes which from what I've seen, are $253 each. Exactly what is bent on your forks, can a part replacement instead of a complete assembly take care of this?

As for your no-crank condition, have you tried bypassing(jumping) the clutch and/or the sidestand switch? Just 2 possibilities before regular starting system diagnosis.
Gert and Chipwidget like this.
post #3 of 29 Old 07-04-2018, 09:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

I replaced a set of bent fork tubes for $400+-. They were ordered from Italy through Adventure Power Sports, LLC.

post #4 of 29 Old 07-04-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thank for the reply.. I just seen the bent forks so I started looking for the entire assembly. Although it did look like the top tube is what was bent so hopefully that is it 600ish wouldnt be horrible aslong as I can get the bike running good before I staft throwing more mlney at it.

The clutch lever was nkt broken nor was the side stand so I did not think about doing that.. im assuming it should be something simple since the auction had it listed as a starts and runs.. although it did sit for atleast 3 months at the auction since they only sell motorcycles every so often.

I dropped it off with a mechanic yesterday to checkout the no start issue . I will be going by today to check it out.

Are bent forks/upper tubes something a novice DIY'er can do ? I never worked on motorcycles only cars but it would be nice to save some money on this bike if I can or should I leave this work to the shop?

Thanks

2012 Dl650
post #5 of 29 Old 07-04-2018, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notacop View Post
I replaced a set of bent fork tubes for $400+-. They were ordered from Italy through Adventure Power Sports, LLC.
Wow , thanks for the link I will look into this asap 400 for the set is a good deal!

Now I took a quick glance at the website and it seems like the vendor focuses on rebuilding and making the suspensions better, but they sell individual components as well?

Im going to contact them today anyways, i appreciate the link

2012 Dl650
post #6 of 29 Old 07-04-2018, 09:49 AM
Stromthusiast!

Race Tech lists replacement fork tubes for $175 each. http://www.racetech.com/TNKProductSe...20V-Strom/2012
Mulewright likes this.
post #7 of 29 Old 07-04-2018, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikehigh View Post
Race Tech lists replacement fork tubes for $175 each. http://www.racetech.com/TNKProductSe...20V-Strom/2012
Wow my man ! Thanks alot , I really did search up and down the web before posting here and I could not find anything but I knew posting here would be my best bet since it is a community dedicated to stroms. With that price im sure I will be fixing it up now . Hopefully everything else is good , I will probably post a thread with the rebuild progress.
mpom likes this.

2012 Dl650
post #8 of 29 Old 07-04-2018, 11:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dny209 View Post
Wow my man ! Thanks alot , I really did search up and down the web before posting here and I could not find anything but I knew posting here would be my best bet since it is a community dedicated to stroms. With that price im sure I will be fixing it up now . Hopefully everything else is good , I will probably post a thread with the rebuild progress.
Only joined a couple of years ago so am newbie myself, but welcome to the hive!
Great folks and great info.
There are switches associated with the clutch lever and side stand to prevent starting engine when its deemed unsafe by Suzuki, something your mechanic should check.

Mark
post #9 of 29 Old 07-04-2018, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dny209 View Post
Only joined a couple of years ago so am newbie myself, but welcome to the hive!
Great folks and great info.
There are switches associated with the clutch lever and side stand to prevent starting engine when its deemed unsafe by Suzuki, something your mechanic should check.

Mark

Thanks. Im going to check for an update today hopefully some good news

2012 Dl650
post #10 of 29 Old 07-04-2018, 12:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

If the tubes are bent but not creased, they can be straightened. I had mine straightened for $50. Good as new now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode