Dead battery!! ? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-30-2018, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Dead battery!! ?

I get the bike out this morning when I tried to start it it just buzzed and wouldn't turn over, not to be detoured I put it on the charger (fast charge) it took about 30-40 minutes but the charger finally read 100% but it still wouldn't turn over.

I'm persistent and a dead battery generally doesn't slow me down so I push the quad over and I try to jump start it, it turns over but really slow. I'm thinking this battery is really dead? I start the quad let it idle for a minute or two and I finally start the bike, I'm determined!

I keep thinking to myself that perhaps God has bigger plans for me and if he really doesn't want me to go on this ride he still has plenty of opportunities before I get too far, within a 1/4 of a mile all my dash lights come on the tachometer starts dancing around all the lights start flashing like I'm in a parade or shomething I guess that was my sign.

I get back home turn off the bike and immediately try to start the bike again, nothing... does this sound about right for this bike when the battery goes or does it sound like a bigger problem? I already ordered a new battery.

2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650A
2005 Honda VTX1800F
2005 Yamaha FJR1300RR
2005 Yamaha Kodiak 400 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-30-2018, 12:01 PM
$tromtrooper

Original battery?

14 tooth for me
post #3 of 15 Old 06-30-2018, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Don't go with an inferior/cheaper battery, go with a YUASA.......
chicago, VSrider and MAZ4ME like this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #4 of 15 Old 06-30-2018, 01:27 PM
$tromtrooper

Terminals tight?

post #5 of 15 Old 06-30-2018, 01:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sounds like it dropped a cell or two. On the meter it will be a bit low but put a load on it and boom next to nothing. As you drove down the road it took enough charge that there was power for the dash. Regular charge rate on this size of battery is 2A max. Hopefully a new battery is all that's wrong. A bad battery is hard on the charging system.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-30-2018, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I think it is the original, I went with the "Motocross" variation of the Yuasa brand so I hope it lasts me a while.

2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650A
2005 Honda VTX1800F
2005 Yamaha FJR1300RR
post #7 of 15 Old 07-01-2018, 03:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

A battery can fail at any time. Some members have had good battery service of 5+ years, while other have had batteries fail after two to three years. Maybe that is the reason why most battery manufacturers are only prepared to give a one year warranty. Charging rate, temp, too many aftermarket attachments (current draw), long standing periods without battery tender, etc, can take its toll on any battery.
You are just fortunate that you were at home and not left stranded along the road, like I was.
Super trooper likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 07-01-2018, 09:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thumbs up

I got Shorai batteries for both of my Suzuki's and they are awesome!

Small DL one is around 6 years old and the big SV one is 3 years old. Good as new!

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
post #9 of 15 Old 07-01-2018, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Just because you charge a battery doesnt mean it can accept the charge and/or have amperage capacity.
I have my bikes on Battery Tenders at all times unless riding. I generally get 6-8 years out of them, but I have electronic battery testers and check them at each oil change. '12 Vstrom650, battery 6 years old? Why take a chance on being stranded somewhere?
Just as a backup, I keep a small battery jump box in my bikes. Ive never needed to use them on my motorcycles...but have used them a few times on other rider's machines on rides.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-01-2018, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAZ4ME View Post
Just because you charge a battery doesnt mean it can accept the charge and/or have amperage capacity.
I have my bikes on Battery Tenders at all times unless riding. I generally get 6-8 years out of them, but I have electronic battery testers and check them at each oil change. '12 Vstrom650, battery 6 years old? Why take a chance on being stranded somewhere?
Just as a backup, I keep a small battery jump box in my bikes. Ive never needed to use them on my motorcycles...but have used them a few times on other rider's machines on rides.
I like the idea of a battery tender but my last battery on my VTX lasted 9 years so I'm bot sure I need to do anything different.

2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650A
2005 Honda VTX1800F
2005 Yamaha FJR1300RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode