HELP! Sheared off brake bleeder valve - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 06-25-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

HELP! Sheared off brake bleeder valve

I ordered up a set of Goodridge Speed Bleeders and attempted to install them today. I put the first one in and I must have over-tightened it, because it sheared off. Here's the result:

I still have the original bleeder to put back in, but I can't think of a way to remove the bit that's stuck inside. I'm reluctant to use a reverse drill bit or EZ Out, because I don't want to get any metal bits in my brake system.

Any ideas?

If it's a good day to wash the bike, it's a better day to ride the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-25-2018, 05:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

Since the bleeder already has a hole in the center, I would think an ez-out would be a good option. You shouldn’t get any debris in the caliper since it’s predrilled.
richlandrick and SpudBob like this.
post #3 of 25 Old 06-25-2018, 05:40 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Bummer! Normally once the bolt head shears off there is very little or not torque on the remaining bit; however, the bleeder stops against the inside and the head carries no torque at all. So it is not only stuck in there but tightly stuck in there... Not that you didn't already know that, but I think you are going to have to use some rather forceful mechanical means to remove it (short of replacing the caliper).

When I have tried to cut/thread metal that was at the end of an oil galley (i.e. metal bits inside are total unacceptable), the technique I used was to go somewhere upstream and attach a hose barb to my air compressor. Then apply a minimal yet adequate continuous air flow such that as you cut the metal chunks are blown back into your face. For your situation this would mean getting an old brake line or any compatible banjo nut, remove the hydraulic line from your bike and install the banjo in its place. Then attach a compressed air source and try working with an EZ out or reverse drill (whichever can get the best grip, cuz it'll be tight). In theory, any metal chunks should be forced outward by the compressed air. Caution is warranted to not mess up the inside of the calipers, but they are used to extreme pressures anyway. Just be sure not to get anything in there that isn't brake fluid.

The only other suggestion I would venture is to disassemble the caliper, get that little bugger out by any means necessary and then carefully clean and rebuild the caliper.

post #4 of 25 Old 06-25-2018, 06:30 PM
Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

If I was in that position I would try and easy out. A well centered hole is already there which the most difficult part of using an easy out. Just flush the system when you are done.
post #5 of 25 Old 06-25-2018, 07:23 PM
Stromthusiast!

These Williams extractors are far superior to ez-outs. Available in a set, or individually. Far less chance of breakage, and grips instantly, so far less chance of metal bits.

Williams EX-21A 1/8-Inch Fluted Screw Extractor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007C86AQG..._2GxmBbC6VE06T
post #6 of 25 Old 06-25-2018, 07:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Use the spiral type easy out rather than the fluted for less chance of generating metal filings. For peace of mind you can inspect the piece after to see if any metal was removed. Also you could remove the caliper and do it with the caliper upside down.
post #7 of 25 Old 06-25-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I think I'm going to try the EZ Out first and, if that fails, I can remove the bolt the bleeder screw goes into and replace the whole thing. No disassembly of the caliper required. Then, do a good flush & bleed.

Anyone see any potential problems with that plan?

post #8 of 25 Old 06-25-2018, 09:20 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajakirch View Post
I think I'm going to try the EZ Out first and, if that fails, I can remove the bolt the bleeder screw goes into and replace the whole thing. No disassembly of the caliper required. Then, do a good flush & bleed.

Anyone see any potential problems with that plan?

A picture might be helpful. This makes it sound like you broke the speed bleeder in half. If you remove the whole thing will your original bleeder screw into the caliper?
post #9 of 25 Old 06-25-2018, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingstrom View Post
A picture might be helpful. This makes it sound like you broke the speed bleeder in half. If you remove the whole thing will your original bleeder screw into the caliper?

Yes, I did break the Speed Bleeder in half. If I remove the part still in the hydraulic connector, I imagine the original bleeder screw can be put back in place (unless I somehow damage the threads).

I tried to imbed an image to my original post using a technique I've done without problem many times in the past, but for some reason this time it blows the photo up way too big. If anyone has a link to how one attaches thumbnail images, I can try that.

post #10 of 25 Old 06-26-2018, 03:12 AM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Click the "go advanced" button. There is a drag and drop (hasn't always worked for me) or there is a "manage attachments" button where you can select and upload. There are size limitations, but I find that if I text the photo to myself my phone will resize it adequately and then I can "save to device" and upload the resized one just fine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode