Nissin Brake swap on an XT? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-14-2018, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Nissin Brake swap on an XT?

I bought the calipers online in Jan/Feb, got them home but had to order new pistons for them which took several months to come in from Japan.

Since then I have upgraded the lines with the HEL set.

Ordered the adapters from SV-Racing.

Last night I finally started to put things together but only got as far as the left caliper. The caliper on the left side is hitting the spokes - I'll attach a pic if possible.

I've reached out to SV but his first response was he'd never seen spokes on a Vstrom and so thought I had put different wheels on myself.

Has anyone else done this with an XT (With the spoke wheels)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180613_193708.jpg (12.4 KB, 42 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-14-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I can't post links so here's Not a link to a bigger picture:
h t t p s : / / i m g u r . c o m / a / o R d 8 0 A V
post #3 of 12 Old 06-15-2018, 04:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Are you not missing an adapter plate similar to this one shown in the pix on this link https://www.stromtrooper.com/sv-racin...upgrades.html? The adapter may be just enough clearance to allow mounting the new caliper correctly.
PS your link corrected, without all the spaces between each letter, https://imgur.com/a/oRd80AV

Last edited by Gert; 06-15-2018 at 04:21 AM.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-15-2018, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I have what looks like the same kit - the only difference being the ones pictured are made for the Tokico calipers rather than the ones I got for the Nissin calipers.

Same two offset brackets to adapt the caliper to the fork as well as the two backing pieces that the brackets bolt into.

Here's a link to a side view https://imgur.com/a/LOmsJXk
post #5 of 12 Old 06-15-2018, 10:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

And you are sure that the Nissin caliper supplied is for your model bike? Maybe measure the width of the two different brand caliper and see if there is a difference in physical / overall size?
post #6 of 12 Old 06-15-2018, 11:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Have you discussed this with or shown any pix to Blair of SV Racing?
post #7 of 12 Old 06-15-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I have reached out to Blair, he emailed me back this morning that he is out of the country but will have a look for a model of my bike to try and do a comparison ASAP.

As far as I can tell I have the correct calipers, the instruction from SV is "CBR 600 F4 - F4i All Model Years" which is what I bought and the two sides were still connected to brake lines so logically they came from the same bike? (same orange fluid inside too!)

I also had to order new pistons for the calipers based on the CBR 600F4 brake part numbers and they all fit so I can't see any reason for them not to be the correct model.

Just going to have to wait and see for the moment I guess. I just want to see if anyone else out there has installed these on the same spoked wheels as I have, all the pictures I can see of other people online seem to be alloy wheels which may be the difference?
post #8 of 12 Old 06-16-2018, 11:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

Sorry to hear. I don't have spokes but I do have the nissin calipers. I took a pic just for reference. I didn't realize how close the cast wheel comes to the calipers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 12 Old 06-17-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks Hatchi, that picture says a lot.

Just comparing the inside spacing of the alloy wheels to my spoke wheels you can see a difference. The spokes have to take a more direct route to the rim which wouldn't allow for even the really narrow space the alloys do.

I'll wait for an answer from Blair but I may have a set of rebuilt calipers for sale.
post #10 of 12 Old 06-17-2018, 12:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryStromRdr View Post
Thanks Hatchi, that picture says a lot.

Just comparing the inside spacing of the alloy wheels to my spoke wheels you can see a difference. The spokes have to take a more direct route to the rim which wouldn't allow for even the really narrow space the alloys do.

I'll wait for an answer from Blair but I may have a set of rebuilt calipers for sale.
If you aren't in love with your spokes, maybe you can find someone that will swap their alloy rims with you?

What I ride now:
2013 Honda GoldWing (The Lady)
2014 V-strom 650 (The Mistress)
Previously: 07 Ultra Classic, 95 Softail, 80 gs450l
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode