LED brake lights - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 06-09-2018, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

LED brake lights

I've looked on forum, but I'm curious what others gave used that work. I have brightasslights on my Harley as well as custom dynamics. Is anyone using them ?

Thanks

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 06-09-2018, 11:12 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
After a bump from behind by a less-than-attentive pickup driver, I bought AdMore lights for my Givi V47. They operate as run/turn/brake lights with a few options: "ping" mode, disable run function (so turn and brake only.) The kit is working well.

An alternative I have seen is to use an LIN3 from Whelen Engineering in place of the rear reflector. Hit the stop pedal and even God's own self will know you are electing to whoa up.
johnb3808 and Doncscs like this.

Being slow doesn't make a boring bike. I had a R1 which I thought was boring. Boring is a bike that doesn't speak to you. If you like what your bike is saying let it's voice take you to far flung places. - Vertical C
post #3 of 39 Old 06-10-2018, 07:24 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I bought cheap led bulbs off Amazon, I wasn't looking for brightness just to lower the draw of amps.
Doncscs likes this.

2015 V-Strom 650XT

post #4 of 39 Old 06-10-2018, 08:10 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have admore lights on my e55 but I don't think they are bright enough, I have a small led warning light for trailers wired into my brake light circuit and bracketed under my top box rack, it works great, it's got 10 different flash patterns too but I just picked one I thought would be most eye catching,
I find it great if I'm sitting waiting to turn right on a 2 lane road, if I'm holding the brake on this light is flashing as well as the indicator.
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/247-LIGHTING...-/291733237724
Doncscs likes this.

2013 SUZUKI DL650 AL2
post #5 of 39 Old 06-10-2018, 10:10 AM
$tromtrooper

I have Hyperlites. The 3 way combo. I swear that vehicles stop 10-15ft further back than without them.

3way all in one running light brake light turn signals
realshelby and Doncscs like this.

post #6 of 39 Old 06-10-2018, 10:18 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I am pleased with how this works. I have a tendency to buy what appears to be the best. Usually means fewer disappointments and wasted money.

AdMore Lighting High Output Premium LED Light Bar | Running, Brake, Progressive Turn Signals & Smart Brake Technology - TwistedThrottle.ca
johnb3808 and Doncscs like this.

NewStrom
post #7 of 39 Old 06-10-2018, 01:22 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrod View Post
I have Hyperlites. The 3 way combo. I swear that vehicles stop 10-15ft further back than without them.

3way all in one running light brake light turn signals

This is in part what I have. I did run a LED strip behind the red reflector on my trunk (bench test pictured ) to work with the hyperlites and tail lights all 3 run through a "back-off" switch. The hyperlites pictured have now been swapped out to the 8 count vs. the four count. I'm always watching my 6 while stopped at a light or sign and it does seem cages do stop a ways back when I engage the brake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9240094.jpg (17.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg PC160122.jpg (22.1 KB, 64 views)
Doncscs likes this.

Ed Jones
VN Veteran 69 101st AB
STOC # 5950
AMA Life Member

2013 DL650A Adv. (Weester)
97 ST1100 (Shasa) SOLD

Just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in...... ;>)
post #8 of 39 Old 06-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have a givi simply II top box.
I went to my local electronics supply house and picked up some red leds I built it so I had a brighter running light and a brighter and larger brake light.
Total cost was about $12 and it took me about an two hours not including design time.
I put the leds under the red lens of the top box and had to wire the top box, I used a automotive trailer flat four pin SAE connector to do the work.
Doncscs likes this.
post #9 of 39 Old 06-12-2018, 03:39 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I have replaced all my 1156 & 1157's with JDM AStar led bulbs and am extremely happy with them. They are something like 1200 lumens. Doubt the people behind me like them but I don't have any problems being seen.

With all LED bulbs (minus the license plate light) and LED H4's I can run two 90W heated jacket liners at full blast and keep my battery above 13.25V. This was tested at idle so should be more while cruising.
Rubline, senoje and Doncscs like this.

"I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane" ~ Waylon Jennings

Last edited by Buck83; 06-12-2018 at 04:50 PM.
post #10 of 39 Old 06-12-2018, 06:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck83 View Post
I have replaced all my 1156 & 1157's with JDM AStar led bulbs and am extremely happy with them. They are something like 1200 lumens. Doubt the people behind me like them but I don't have any problems being seen.

With all LED bulbs (minus the license plate light) and LED H4's I can run two 90W heated jacket liners at full blast and keep my battery above 13.25V. This was tested at idle so should be more while cruising.
Running heated gear is important to me. What year and model bike do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode