Abs light - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By wadestrom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-02-2018, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Abs light

So I was flying home tonight. Running the balls off the bike because i was seriously going to crap my pants. Over 100 mph. I was almost home and the abs light came on. Locked up the rear brake before pulling in the driveway. Bike only has 3300 miles. Anyone else had this happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-09-2018, 06:47 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Yes mine comes on in the rain, not sure why. I think it may be the abs sensor on the wheels gets dirty and can't read the wheel speed anymore????

2012 Glee, Givi E22n/Shad SH45 Topcase
post #3 of 7 Old 06-09-2018, 08:45 PM
Stromthusiast!

Has the light stayed on or does it go off after reaching approx 5mph. If the light goes off then the fault was only temporary and fixed itself, (but the fault will still remain logged in the ABS HU module until manually cancelled.) If the light remains on then the fault still exists.

post #4 of 7 Old 06-10-2018, 10:34 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Mine normally comes on in rain and would go off after cleaning the sensors, this time it has stayed on even after cleaning, I am going to check fuses next. Battery is only 1 year old and connections are clean and tight.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-10-2018, 12:21 PM
Stromthusiast!

light remains on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadestrom View Post
Mine normally comes on in rain and would go off after cleaning the sensors, this time it has stayed on even after cleaning, I am going to check fuses next. Battery is only 1 year old and connections are clean and tight.
DO NOT PULL CIRCUIT BREAKERS - If you remove power from the ABS HU module then you will lose the logged diagnostic fault code which is stored in RAM memory in the ABS HU module.
Get a service manual for your bike.

Rather than randomly guess at what may be the fault it's time for diagnosing.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-10-2018, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

My bike was pretty dirty when this started. It will come and go. Sometimes I go for a ride and the light stays off and abs works. Yesterday I cleaned the bike really well. Went for a ride and it was okay. Took another ride a few hours later and the light came on and stayed on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 Old 06-10-2018, 01:27 PM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzukik9rider View Post
DO NOT PULL CIRCUIT BREAKERS - If you remove power from the ABS HU module then you will lose the logged diagnostic fault code which is stored in RAM memory in the ABS HU module.
Get a service manual for your bike.

Rather than randomly guess at what may be the fault it's time for diagnosing.
I have a service manual, all fault codes relate to sensor fault, sensor rotor damage, bad battery, rectifier issue or wiring fault.

Since I have already checked sensors and rotors(visually) and they appear to be fine, the next easiest item would be wiring issues starting with fuses.......

I pulled and replaced fuses and sprayed the fuse holder with electrical contact cleaner and the ABS light is working as normal, ie. Light comes on with ignition, then goes out once moving. To test I put the old fuses back in and tried again and the ABS light came on and stayed on during riding. So I replaced the fuses with the new ones and back to normal. The fuses were not blown but the blades were corroded. I then replaced all fuses and cleaned the fuse box with electrical contact cleaner just in case.

If I get another fault I will go to a shop for deeper diagnosis.
ehart814 likes this.

2012 Glee, Givi E22n/Shad SH45 Topcase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode