Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Vista Cruise Throttle Lock Install Tips
I just installed one of these. Bottom line is it works fine, very convenient and easy to use, but there was a lot of effort and some tricks so I thought I would share and save someone else the grief. The guy who sold it to me said only buy if you are prepared to be McGyver, boy was he right.
There are different models available, labelled "Fits most Honda" or "Fits most Yamaha". There was no "Fits most Suzuki" but turns out it doesn't matter much. As far as I can tell the only difference is the little brackets that accompany it and in the end I didn't use these anyway.
First thing is to take off the throttle tube, roll back the rubber grip at the left (switch block) end. You will see two small plastic flanges around the tube - one a thin round thing, the next a triangle cross section that supports the rubber at the inner end. There are some little nubbins between them. All this needs to be removed. I used a chisel then file, it didn't take long.
You then need to remove the rubber grip at about the first line inwards from the edge of the flange at the inner end. I used a box knife. It could have been neater but it is barely noticeable after installation. Next tip I have - the rubber is now loose on the tube for about 2-3cm and squirms when you twist it. I put some glue under to stick it down again (silicone but I'm sure many other things will work). It is a good idea to pop the plastic split washer from the Vista kit on at this time, it goes up against the rubber grip to stop it binding on the Vista.
Throttle tube goes back on, adjust the cable. Then you can open the Vista and clamp it around the throttle tube.
The trick now is to stop the Vista going around with the throttle tube. I tried a cable tie but it pulls the Vista sideways and it binds up, I couldn't get it to work reliably. I then tried the little brackets supplied. Not being a Yamaha they didn't really fit and I broke one trying to bend it to shape. However, it did prove a point - the secret is to provide a little bit of play so the thing can self align. (I think this may be why many installs give poor results.) Once I figured this out it only took about 10 minutes to drill a small hole in the tab at the back of the Vista and create the superbly engineered solution (coat hanger wire) that you see below.
After that it still took a bit of adjusting. It grips differently in the 100kph throttle position to the 50kph position, probably the throttle tube is not exactly round. It also needed frequent adjustment at first. After a few days it seems to have settled down (stretched, shrunk or worn in) and now works like a charm.