Need Passenger Backrest 2014 DL650A - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By kd70qc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-23-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Need Passenger Backrest 2014 DL650A

I can't for the life of me find a passenger backrest for my 2014 DL650 Adventure. I had a Givi top case that has a pad but its ridiculously oversized and does not feel good for the passenger.
Why can't I find a simply backrest to put on the bike. I ordered one from bangfabrication on Ebay that said it would fit my model, but the holes just don't line up. They offered to refund, but I might keep it and have someone custom fabricate a bracket or plate to affix this back rest on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180430_174203.jpg (16.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20180430_174210.jpg (12.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20180430_183039.jpg (13.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 20180430_183044.jpg (15.2 KB, 21 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-23-2018, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Corbin Canyon saddles have attachment points for both the rider and passenger, their backrest is really nice. Not many options out there for stand alone backrest for passengers, unless is part of the seat.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 9 Old 05-24-2018, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Thanks.. I looked at the corbin seats but they are bulky and pretty ugly.
I guess I will just have to fabricate something. Bummer.. Just surprised that no one else rides with a passenger without a top case..

post #4 of 9 Old 05-24-2018, 02:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I was also looking for this, and I found a couple, but they are crazy expensive (over $200). Rather just buy a top box.

Instructor, Idaho STAR Motorcycle Safety Program
Motorcycle Marshal- US Cycling
Iron Butt SS1000- June, 2019
post #5 of 9 Old 05-28-2018, 07:30 AM
Stromthusiast!

The Suzuki VStrom Stealth® Backrest from Pirates' Lair at 828.628.7093 EST - "Customer Comments" section mention this backrest fitting the 650 ...

try Googling this - "vstrom backrest" - then click on the Images button - that's how I found the above link ... looks like your backrest and rack is shown too - although one of the pages on the dynamic website indicates they have other rack plates that may also be able to accommodate your GIVI box (and their backrest when the box is not in place??) - maybe that's a fix for what you have on hand?

as far as your GIVI pad being thick - cover staples come off easily with old screwdriver tip - then we used a long serrated ("Bread") knife to thin out the pad and then reinstall cover with staple gun - cover has an elastic band around it to help hold it in place - sucks down pretty good after trimming the pad thickness - looks factory - took my wife about 20 minutes to fix up ours how she wanted it ... trimmed a bit, put on her riding jacket, sat the bike, adjusted a bit more - tried it again - done

Good luck!

Last edited by outwestrider; 05-28-2018 at 07:39 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-28-2018, 12:09 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
$375???!!! Holy crap.

Instructor, Idaho STAR Motorcycle Safety Program
Motorcycle Marshal- US Cycling
Iron Butt SS1000- June, 2019
post #7 of 9 Old 05-28-2018, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazookajoel View Post
Thanks.. I looked at the corbin seats but they are bulky and pretty ugly.
I guess I will just have to fabricate something. Bummer.. Just surprised that no one else rides with a passenger without a top case..

You should compare a Corbin to an RDL or a Terry Adcox saddle and compare bulky and ugly to the Corbin. Yes the seat pan is actually a seat pan, and the seat itself weighs a ton compared to the OEM and perhaps some others. The removable and adjustable back rests are so awesome from Corbin, and that is what my Wife uses instead of the top box pad "which she says sucks".

This is bulky and ugly?

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #8 of 9 Old 05-28-2018, 05:30 PM
Stromthusiast!

OEM top case as a back rest was too far forward for my wife. I bought an OEM mount for the top box, cut the supports and bolted it to the top box plate that came with the bike, but moved it rearward about 2 inches. Now the top box is back far enough for it to be comfortable for the wife. Best part is it is super easy to change back to it's original position.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-29-2018, 09:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Need Passenger Backrest 2014 DL650A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
You should compare a Corbin to an RDL or a Terry Adcox saddle and compare bulky and ugly to the Corbin. Yes the seat pan is actually a seat pan, and the seat itself weighs a ton compared to the OEM and perhaps some others. The removable and adjustable back rests are so awesome from Corbin, and that is what my Wife uses instead of the top box pad "which she says sucks".

This is bulky and ugly?

Wife!? You’ve got a wife??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Big B likes this.

2015 DL650XT w/ factory Suzuki/Motech side cases and engine guard.
First farkle - Motech center stand
Suzuki handguards
Augustus Wind Deflectors
Fat, foamy grips
Givi AirFlow windscreen
Go-Cruise throttle lock
JD Astar 1260 lumen LED tail light bulb
Suzuki (SW Motech) Top Case
Hyde Racing skid plate
Adventuretech kickstand foot, fork brace, fender raising kit, and peg lowering kit.
Zita 26mm up / 20mm back risers
Sit and Fly Seat Net

So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Genesis 1:27
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode