Side stand spin - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-12-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Side stand spin

I listened to an episode of the Adventure Rider Radio podcast that described the proper way to spin a bike on its sidestand. I'm tempted to try it with my Wee, as I've been in many situations where the ability to turn the bike 180 degrees within its own length would be very useful.

Does anyone do this with the Strom? Is the sidestand and mounting hardware stout enough to handle it?

If it's a good day to wash the bike, it's a better day to ride the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-12-2018, 04:54 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajakirch View Post
I listened to an episode of the Adventure Rider Radio podcast that described the proper way to spin a bike on its sidestand. I'm tempted to try it with my Wee, as I've been in many situations where the ability to turn the bike 180 degrees within its own length would be very useful.

Does anyone do this with the Strom? Is the sidestand and mounting hardware stout enough to handle it?

Never done it on the Strom, but do that all the time at the College when we’re bringing the student bikes back into the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current ride:
2018 V Strom 1000 XT

Past rides:
Honda NX 125 enduro, Yamaha V-Star 650, Suzuki 1500 Intruder,
BMW R1150R, BMW K1200S,
Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Caspian Blue), Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (Silver)
post #3 of 13 Old 05-12-2018, 05:12 PM
BKP
Stromthusiast!

I've done it a few times, after (thoughtlessly) pulling head-first into a declined parking spot... I try to avoid those scenarios...
Works fine... never had an issue with either the OEM kickstand, or a Soupy's adjustable (on an earlier Strom).

[B][I]Barry[/I]
2017 Pearl White 650[/B]
AdventureTech lowering links and GPS mount
AdventureTech +2" SS braided brake line
Madstad windscreen
GPI spools, SW Motech risers
Givi XS307 Tanklock bag and Givi 46L top case
Suzuki hard case saddlebags

post #4 of 13 Old 05-12-2018, 05:20 PM
$tromtrooper

Cops are taught it on their ST1100s...I suspect it would be fine on the Wee....I've done a "redirect" on any number of bikes in the garage,

Ontario Canada rider staying in Cairns Australian Feb to May & Aug-Oct each year
Canada 2018 CB500x >2009 CBF1000 sold • 10 Wee ABS sold • 09 Burgman Exec sold • 10 NT700v sold
Australia> 04 KLR650 • 93 ST1100 sold •
Travel photos> https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries Oz riding >https://tinyurl.com/y4c7lm87

Last edited by Macdoc; 05-12-2018 at 05:24 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-12-2018, 05:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

sidestand spins are cool and all, but you won't catch me doing one

that is not what sidestands are designed for and will fatigue quickly if you do many

what happens when the sidestand is fatigued, your bike leans more, eventually significantly making it take extra effort to upright the bike, and if you're already on tiptoes, making it much harder
Big B likes this.

IBA#9560
Copyright (c) 2019
post #6 of 13 Old 05-13-2018, 10:32 PM
Stromthusiast!

This has been the subject of other posts. I tried it on the Wee and my BMW G650GS and puny me wasn't having it. I see guys do it all the time at the local mountain road house with the sports bikes..
The manly men do dat!
post #7 of 13 Old 05-14-2018, 08:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

I've yet to try it with my Vee (because it's still en route to my house), but definitely plan to. I used to do it quite a bit with my FZ1 in my 1-car garage. That bike was 480 pounds without luggage and I've done it with luggage. Never had any issues with side stand. I don't think it should be used as the only way to turn the bike around, but I do think it's nice to be able to have that option in your pocket.

It doesn't take THAT much strength, depending on the bike. Some balance perfectly on side stand with both wheels up (like FZ1) others are damn near impossible (like GSXR 1000).
post #8 of 13 Old 05-14-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I experimented with it in the garage last night. It took a few attempts but I was able to do it. I didn't walk it all the way around, but just took a few steps. While I initially had to put some effort into getting it onto the side stand, I suspect this is something that would get easier with practice. It's really just a matter of finding the balance point.

All that being said, I agree that this isn't something I'd want to do every day -- at least, not without significantly beefing up my side stand. But I've had enough situations occur where being able to spin the bike around like this would have been really helpful.
erci likes this.

post #9 of 13 Old 05-21-2018, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

So, an update on my attempt to spin the bike on the side stand.

The day after my garage experiment I took the bike to run some errands. At first, the bike wouldn't start. Even though my side stand was up, my dash seemed to indicate it was still down. After about 5 minutes of trouble-shooting, which included putting the side stand up and down a few times, the problem went away.

Then, after my first stop, the problem returned. Again, it took about 5 minutes to resolve itself.

Another stop, and it was back. This time I gave the side-stand (which was up) a little kick with my heel and it was back to normal.

The last time it happened I was actually riding the bike and I made a left turn. The bike cut out mid-turn. But I was able to restart it while still rolling.

After that last one I washed the bike at a spray-and-wash place, because it was pretty dirty from a recent ride in the rain.

Since then -- about a week ago -- I've had no problems.

I'm unsure if the side stand switch was gunked up from rain-enhanced road grime, or something got out-of-kilter when I did the spin, or if it was a combination of the two. But I have to admit I'm now a bit more reluctant to try the spin.

post #10 of 13 Old 05-29-2018, 09:54 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Have done it several times. When I have my side cases on it is harder and I usually just kinda slide the wheels instead of a full lift, bit I have had no issues.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old Time Rider likes this.

Reverend Unstable Boy
http://www.youtube.com/user/RevUnstableBoy

https://www.facebook.com/RevUnstableBoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode