Easier ABS switch connection - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 05-11-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Marketplace Member

Easier ABS switch connection

I decided to do the ABS switch on my 2013 DL650 as mentioned in the links below.
Proper ABS on/off switch
https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2...tch-how-3.html
I did not find what I discovered when I was searching to do this mod so I wanted to share in case it can help someone else.

What I found was that there is no need to remove everything and disconnect the connection at the ABS module.
I traced the orange/yellow wire and there is a much easier access to it.
I had already removed everything as noted in the links above when I found this. You may be able to get to the connector by just removing the seat if you have small hands. Removing the battery should give enough room to work if you need a little more and it may help to have the room to disconnect the connector.
(The first picture was taken after I did the work, but I wanted to show the initial location of the connector and wiring)

I made my splice here

Ran my wires up to the front and connected a small waterproof push button switch.

Took it out yesterday for a short ride and I can turn it on and off on the fly. The ABS light on the dash comes on when itís off and goes back off when itís on.
Just wanted to share as this seems about as easy as making the connection at the fuse and it allows for switching on/off with out cycling the bikes power.
richlandrick, Gert, Motor7 and 9 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-11-2018, 11:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
The problem I see with a push button is you are not going to want to hold a button on while going down a steep rocky or sandy road or trail, You'll need both hands on the bars for front brake and clutch. unless it an on-off push button.
post #3 of 20 Old 05-12-2018, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Marketplace Member

No kidding!! LOL.... It's an on/off switch, not a momentary switch.
It wouldn't make sense to have a switch that you had to hold down like you said.
wingstrom likes this.

post #4 of 20 Old 05-12-2018, 09:12 AM
$tromtrooper

Hey nice job, that is much cheaper than buying Eastern Beavers ABS cut off harness!

'15 DL650XT
"You do your own thing in your own time"
post #5 of 20 Old 05-20-2018, 12:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

THANK YOU!!!

I did this mod today while doing some other maintenance

Rather than cutting into the orange & yellow wire, I pulled the pin from the connector. I had previously purchased some male and female pins from Eastern Beaver. After soldering on a set of connectors to a new wire, I simply plugged one end into the spot where I removed the orange and yellow wire. It then got routed to a switch on the dash and the orange and yellow wire plugged into the other end. I put shrink wrap over the new connector. If for some reason this ever malfunctions it will be easy to put back to stock

I tested the brakes after the install. The abs works as normal with the switch closed. When the switch is off, the abs light is on and I was able to lock up the brakes. The abs can be turned back on while riding and it functions normally. I cycled on and off multiple times and it worked great every time.
post #6 of 20 Old 05-20-2018, 11:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

wow ..,nice work and simple too......how much of a pain are thise pins? and 10k mostly off road....how do you find that much dirt?
post #7 of 20 Old 05-20-2018, 11:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
wow ..,nice work and simple too......how much of a pain are thise pins? and 10k mostly off road....how do you find that much dirt?

The pins are easy to replace but I originally had a hard time finding the right size. When placing an order with Eastern Beaver for an aux plug and heated grip plug, I ordered extra (needed to spend enough to meet minimum shipping requirements).

The bike has nearly 10,000 miles including substantial off-road miles but not nearly the majority of the total miles are off-road. I live in the high desert of CA so there is plenty of dirt but much of it is too sandy for the Vstrom. That too, was learned the hard way.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-05-2018, 09:27 AM
Stromthusiast!

Thanks for this info! I just did this too and can also confirm it works like a charm. Can switch ABS on/off while riding and the ABS light comes on and off too. So easy and effective, makes me wonder why Suzuki didn't offer this, at least on the XT with it's other dirt-oriented mods.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-12-2019, 06:34 AM
Stromthusiast!

So, no extra fuse?

Sounds like a much better solution.
So I'm guessing that this method can be set up with out the need for another fuse...
Just a switch to break continuity in that orange & yellow wire....
wingstrom likes this.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-13-2019, 04:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlinjack View Post
So I'm guessing that this method can be set up with out the need for another fuse...
Yup - the existing fuse isn't bypassed, just breaking continuity with the switch. I've used it a bunch in the past few months without any issues. I only wish I could switch off ABS to the rear only and keep the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode