12 O'Clock Labs Running Light Adapters Help - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-07-2018, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

12 O'Clock Labs Running Light Adapters Help

Hi everyone,
I bought and installed the 12 O'Clock Labs Running Light Adapters for the front and noticed the turn signals get very hot now because they are always on

Does anyone know if this is normal or know what I can do to remedy?

I bought the LED Tuff Lites, but would rather stay with the stock bulbs because they are more visible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-08-2018, 01:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

A 21 watt incandescent bulb generates heat. If it's a runniing light, it generates heat continuously. Yes, it will get hot.

LEDs of some kind are your only
option without rewiring. Don't know how they'll do as far as longevity being in such a small space and constantly on, but it would be worth a try. The other otpion would be to rewire the turn signals for 1157 bulbs.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-08-2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Thanks, will the LED 1157 still be able to use as a turn signal and running light?

post #4 of 11 Old 05-08-2018, 03:40 PM
$tromtrooper

No need to convert to 1157. You just need to replace your stock 1156 bulbs with 1156 LED bulbs.

I have a different running light adapter, but use 1156 LED bulbs in my front running / turn signal lights. I have these, which are no longer available. You'll see a lot of similar options on the product page, though, including another offering by JDM.

Unfortunately, I can't offer a specific recommendation since the ones I use aren't available, other than I've been happy with my JDM bulbs.

When you switch to LED bulbs, your signals will flash quickly. A cheap & simple replacement of the stock flasher relay will solve the issue. I used this one.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-08-2018, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Thank you, I'll give that a try. How is the brightness on those suggested bulbs compared to stock?
post #6 of 11 Old 05-08-2018, 06:28 PM
$tromtrooper

I can only speak directly to the JDM bulbs I have. Turns out they're still available direct from JDM, just not through Amazon:

JDM ASTAR Auto LED Bulbs,LED Headlight,Fog Lamps & Turn Signal Brake Tail Light

The others I linked in Amazon:

JDM ASTAR Auto LED Bulbs,LED Headlight,Fog Lamps & Turn Signal Brake Tail Light

According to the JDM specs, the 1st set is 1200 lm per bulb, and the 2nd set is 1260 lm per bulb. Take those specs with a grain of salt (no one provides accurate lumen ratings these days), but at least in relative terms I think they're useful.

FWIW, I also painted the interior of my turn signal housings white (other use reflective aluminum tape or the like), and IME that helps with brightness irrespective of the type of bulb.

Here's a low quality video comparing stock bulb v. my LED bulb v. stock bulb with white-painted housing v. my LED bulb with white-painted housing:

Thighrod likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-08-2018, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

Awesome! I'll give that a try. Great help, great video.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-09-2018, 12:56 AM
Stromthusiast!

I used the 12 O'clock labs adapter. I bought LEDs from Superbrightleds.com. Bought an electronic flasher unit from EBay. I think Superbright LEDs sell a Suzuki flasher. The incandescents do get too hot. I really like the running lights.

'06 DL 1000
'06 Bonneville T100
'01 Honda VTR1000
'09 Kawasaki KLX250
'07 Kawasaki KLR650
post #9 of 11 Old 05-09-2018, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
$tromtrooper

If I change the front Turn/Running lights to LED, do I need to change the rear also?
post #10 of 11 Old 05-09-2018, 10:17 AM
$tromtrooper

Don't need to change the rear bulbs when you change the front.

I did, however, because I like the added brightness and the instant full-intensity on / off flash of the LED bulbs (rather than the slower increase to full intensity on / slower fade to off of the stock bulbs).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode