Brake lever play - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bikehigh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-07-2018, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Brake lever play

Yesterday I did my first long-ish ride of the season, putting about 200 miles on the bike.

I noticed that my brake lever seems to have a fair bit of movement before it starts to bite.

Over the winter, I did my first brake fluid flush on this bike (which I purchased last spring). I also adjusted the brake lever so it's closer to the grip, to better fit my finger length.

Does this sound like a symptom of the brake lever adjustment, or did I perhaps get some air into the system during my flush?

If it's a good day to wash the bike, it's a better day to ride the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-07-2018, 09:50 AM
Stromthusiast!

It could be either one or a combination of both. Air in the line will not only put the lever closer to the bars before engaging, it will also feel “spongy”. If the brakes work well and feel solid when applied, it’s probably just the repositioned lever.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-07-2018, 12:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

Sounds like air in the system to me. The adjustment you did adjusts reach, not free play. Be careful, if you need to do some hard braking, you may run out of lever travel. With the lever closer to the grip to start with, and with the extra travel you described before the brakes grab, you'll likely bottom out against the grip when you need the brakes most. Not good.
Hatchi likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-07-2018, 01:48 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
sometimes even when you think you nailed it, there still can be a few bubbles stuck in the brake lines.....Hate to say it, but you'll have to bleed em' again.

"Side effects may include: Mild kidney explosions...Testicular cranberrying... And Rectal hallucinations."
post #5 of 8 Old 05-07-2018, 02:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I had a Ninjette before my Strom, and when bleeding those brakes, no matter how careful I was with fluid levels, I always managed to get air in the front brake line. If the lever felt spongy, I would GENTLY tap the caliper with a rubber mallet and then would see a few bubbles pop out in the brake fluid reservoir. I never died in a crash after changing the brake fluid, so, it might help your situation and it might not...

2013 DL650A
post #6 of 8 Old 05-11-2018, 07:36 PM
Stromthusiast!

i use a Mity vac brake bleeder and sometimes these brakes still need some tapping on the lines to make them perfect. These are the worst brakes to bleed of any bike I've ever had. With that said get some type of a vacuum bleeder and you will never regret it.SOOOOOOOOO much easier and faster.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-12-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

When I did my brake bleed I used my vacuum bleeder, but had a hard time getting a good seal on the bleeder valve. I suspect that allows some air in.

Looks like it's time for another attempt.

If it's a good day to wash the bike, it's a better day to ride the bike.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-13-2018, 10:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

I put some speed bleeders on my 04 Wee and the ease with which the fluid change went was amazing. I'm gonna toss the Mighty Vac I've had and hated for years.
http://kirbysbrakebleeders.ecrater.com/
Easy simple and quickle! Cheap too considering what a dealer charges.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode