Help - Preload Adjust on Elka shocks - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-06-2018, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Help - Preload Adjust on Elka shocks

I just loaded my '12 DL650 full up for the first time with everything for my Alaska trip. Poor little bike sags like there is no tomorrow. The PO put the Stage 4 Premier Elka 3 Way Shock by SV Racing on the bike and I know you can adjust the pre-load hydraulically but it didn't come with any documentation on how to do that. I assume you turn the knob on the right side of the bike, but I have turned it full clockwise until it stops with no change.
Help - I'm leaving on a week long shake down trip tomorrow 7am

Thanks!

Got the heart attack over and done with - Prudhoe Bay or Bust!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-07-2018, 02:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slane6 View Post
I just loaded my '12 DL650 full up for the first time with everything for my Alaska trip. Poor little bike sags like there is no tomorrow. The PO put the Stage 4 Premier Elka 3 Way Shock by SV Racing on the bike and I know you can adjust the pre-load hydraulically but it didn't come with any documentation on how to do that. I assume you turn the knob on the right side of the bike, but I have turned it full clockwise until it stops with no change.
Help - I'm leaving on a week long shake down trip tomorrow 7am

Thanks!
Are you POSITIVE it has the remote Preload adjuster? Is it possible you are maxing out the compression adjuster instead??

https://us.elkasuspension.com/sports...ock-absorbers/

~Mark

2015 DL1000A
2005 YZ250
post #3 of 4 Old 05-07-2018, 04:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

The knob on the right hand side under the seat is the remote preload adjuster. You should be able to look at the shock and see the preload ring getting pushed farther down as you crank on that knob. The remote preload on my shock easily compensates for my girl and camping gear, so it does work if all is well. You can adjust the preload at the shock too if you have no other solution.

post #4 of 4 Old 05-07-2018, 09:26 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
The red ring in the photos id the preload adjuster. There is a small lock nut in one of the holes, then just turn the collar.

I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my motorsickle. A. Guthrie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode