Clutch lever tension adjustment - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-06-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Clutch lever tension adjustment

Yesterday was my first decent day of riding this season (my 2nd season as a rider). Rode about 120 miles on country roads on my '15 Wee (3K miles), with a fair amount of shifting. All is well accept I feel that the tension to pull in the clutch lever feels tight. Perhaps I just need to get used to it again after a long winter break. The free play appears to be set correctly.

Does anyone know if the degree of tension to pull in the clutch lever can be adjusted? Hoping for a solution that would require less effort and reduce a sore hand.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-06-2018, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Jcstrom, You'll get used to it. But, here is a link from this site (if the link works) that explains the cable AND the pushrod ajustment behind the front sprocket cover:
https://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-...nt-help-2.html
post #3 of 5 Old 05-06-2018, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I would take the clutch lever off, clean it all down and apply a smear of grease to all touching parts. Remove the lock nut first, and then the shoulder bolt. Ensure that the lever is not jammed in the perch. On reassembly stop as soon as the shoulder bolt takes up all slack and then use the lock nut to secure it. Cables these days have a Teflon inner but a few drops of WD40 will not harm anything.
Take off the countershaft cover and check and grease the cable nipple. While you are there you may as well check for a 1/4 turn of slack in the actuator as described in MAZ4ME's link.

I recommend taking as much slack from the throttle cable as reasonably possible to ease on/off throttle abruptness, but start the motor and check that full lock to lock does not activate the throttle before riding.

2010 Weestrom; 2017 Kawasaki Versys-X300; 1988 Suzuki GSXR1100

Last edited by Brockie; 05-07-2018 at 08:37 PM.

post #4 of 5 Old 05-07-2018, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks both for the advice. I'll give those ideas a try!
post #5 of 5 Old 05-07-2018, 01:31 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I wouldn't use WD40 on the cable as it gunks up after drying out. I remove the cable from the lever, take a piece of duct tape and wrap it about half way leaving half past the housing to make a well, position cable with the end upward and fill the well with ATF and let it sit till the ATF goes in the cable. ATF won't hurt the cable liner and won't gunk up or dry out. Been using this method for years and it works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode