Lowering Links - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-05-2018, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Lowering Links

Hi guys looking at lowering my bike struggling to touch the floor with both feet. Ordered some 30mm links so i take i drop the front the same ammount. Looks straight forward undo the two bolts either side on the lower clamp and the bolt on the top clamp. Anything to look out for whilst doing this. Thanks Paul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-05-2018, 12:19 AM
Super Moderator

You may have to shorten the side stand.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-05-2018, 12:33 AM
Stromthusiast!

Hey Will, if you search the forum you'll find lot of posts about lowering links. I don't know if you have a center stand on your bike but it will be much easier to do this if the back wheel is securely lifted of the ground. Have you checked the OEM lower seat option?

Toronto, Canada
------------------
2015 V-Strom 1000

post #4 of 14 Old 05-05-2018, 05:03 AM
Stromthusiast!

Will, I don't know if there is any major difference between my 09 strom and the later series.
I'm going the other way on my K9 Wee. When I purchased the bike it had lowering links fitted. It's nigh on impossible to get it up onto the centre stand. I've just purchase standard links to go back to original.
If you are thinking of adding a centre stand then you may have to modify (shorten) the centre stand.
Make sure you keep the old links - just in case you want to go back to original.

On the early Wee's with ABS you can only drop the front about 10mm to avoid hitting the front brake lines. Your bike might be different.

The bolts can be removed with the rear wheel airborne without any problems but be prepared they are ......TIGHT ! and may have a thread lock compound.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-05-2018, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I've measured my heel from the ground its 11cm is dropping it 3cm going toto make much difference?
post #6 of 14 Old 05-05-2018, 09:44 PM
Stromthusiast!

I had heard around 20mm on the forks is about the max, but don't quote me on that. If the rear is lower than than the front relative to what it is now, turn in will start getting harder and the bike won't feel as nimble. You may can do a combination of lowering suspension and lower seat.

When raising the fork tubes the bike may or may not drop when you loosen the clamp bolts, so be sure to support the frame or bars.

11cm is a lot...you won't get there on this bike (stock ground clearance is around 16cm I think), but 5 or 6cm (suspension + seat) would certainly help.

-Gary
2014 V-Strom 1000 - Desert Khaki
2016 GSX-S1000FA
2012 DR650SE
2011 Burgman 400
2007 Honda Helix
2013 V-Strom 650 - sold

Last edited by G-Dub; 05-05-2018 at 09:51 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-05-2018, 11:17 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Hi. I am also vertically challenged. Installed Ravetech 25mm lowering links, which is super easy to do just using the side stand and an automotive juck on the other side, until the rear wheel almost loses ground contact but not quite. They are stainless and look good. I dropped the forks 21mm which is a number that came up a few time as safe but I cannot say I found anything scientific backing it up. Just undo one fork leg at a time, three screws. Place a thin piece of wood on top of the fork tube, otherwise the fork tube may go too far and hit the handlebar, which is probably around 25mm, and a bit tricky to wrestle back down to the intended drop if it happens.
I am about to weld the kickstand back together after shortening it 1.4” in length or 1” in vertical dimension.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-06-2018, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Hopefully won't have to cut the side stand think it will still be ok.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-11-2018, 01:48 AM
BKP
Stromthusiast!

30mm (1.18in) is about the max you can safely lower... Best case is you lower the triple tree (raise the forks) an equivalent increment to maintain bike geometry.

I just lowered mine 19mm (3/4in) front an d back. Triple tree is almost touching the handlebars... When I lowered my 2013, I had to swap out the kickstand for an adjustable. On my 2017, for whatever reason, it wasn't necessary...there's still enough lean... BTW, I'm 5'9", 29" inseam, and the 19mm was perfect.

If you haven't ordered links yet, you might want to try Rick Richland's from AdventureTech (he's on this forum). He makes excellent links (better than stock), among other Strom products...

I posted pics of his installed links on my bike somewhere else in this forum...

[B][I]Barry[/I]
2017 Pearl White 650[/B]
AdventureTech lowering links and GPS mount
AdventureTech +2" SS braided brake line
Madstad windscreen
GPI spools, SW Motech risers
Givi XS307 Tanklock bag and Givi 46L top case
Suzuki hard case saddlebags
post #10 of 14 Old 05-12-2018, 06:41 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwoms View Post
Hi guys looking at lowering my bike struggling to touch the floor with both feet. Ordered some 30mm links so i take i drop the front the same ammount. Looks straight forward undo the two bolts either side on the lower clamp and the bolt on the top clamp. Anything to look out for whilst doing this. Thanks Paul.
30mm links are going to RAISE your bike.. A lot! You need longer than stock links to lower the bike. Stock is 140mm, and every 7-10mm longer than that will lower your bike around an inch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode