Freezing rear brake pedal '12DL 650 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

6Likes
  • 2 Post By Fox
  • 1 Post By Bikehigh
  • 2 Post By Bogfarth
  • 1 Post By Spec

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-04-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Freezing rear brake pedal '12DL 650

So on my drive to work this morning the rear brake froze/locked up so I could NOT push it down. That was a bit scary since I was doing a flanking maneuver through busy traffic... lol. It then happened again a few times and I really had to ram the pedal to get it to engage. Something is definitely off...

Anyone had this happen?

I'm going to check it out tonight. Maybe the pads are worn or the rear brake cylinder is wore out? 28k miles now, so stuff is likely to start wearing out here and there.

Curious if anyone had this happen and what you found the issue was.

'12 DL650 ADV
'07 Victory Hammer
'06 Suzuki M50 (Traded)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-04-2018, 12:29 PM
Fox
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Had something similar happen, I could press it down with some effort but it wouldn't release with the spring force alone. Either way, if the lever doesn't move easily, the pivot point is probably dirty and dry.

To clean it, you'll need to remove the footpeg mount assembly, detach the spring, remove the snap ring and pull the lever off. Clean the shaft and cylinder well, and apply a ton of grease. Then reassemble.

It's a bit of a pain. I think I've read of someone who installing a grease fitting into the lever.
V-Tom and MariusD like this.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-04-2018, 12:35 PM
Stromthusiast!

I've had the rear brake stick in a partialy engaged position, so the brake would drag a bit. Took the caliper off, sprayed the cylinder area down with brake cleaner. Cleaned and lubed the pin, and sleeve bushing, and pin bolt with SilGlyde. Problem solved.
MariusD likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 05-04-2018, 10:18 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Both. Pull the peg, lube the pivot. Pull the caliper and clean with quality brake cleaner, pop the pads and work/clean the pistons, clean and lube the pad pin. An hour later, all should be right with the world.
Fox and MariusD like this.

Being slow doesn't make a boring bike. I had a R1 which I thought was boring. Boring is a bike that doesn't speak to you. If you like what your bike is saying let it's voice take you to far flung places. - Vertical C
post #5 of 8 Old 05-08-2018, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks everyone who commented. I've had a very busy weekend with family visiting so haven't gotten to inspect the bike, but hope you all are right and all it will take is some cleaning/lubing to get it back to normal. I'll update the thread once I get to inspect it.

'12 DL650 ADV
'07 Victory Hammer
'06 Suzuki M50 (Traded)
post #6 of 8 Old 05-08-2018, 05:55 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
So on my drive to work this morning the rear brake froze/locked up so I could NOT push it down. That was a bit scary since I was doing a flanking maneuver through busy traffic... lol. It then happened again a few times and I really had to ram the pedal to get it to engage. Something is definitely off...

You know that there's a front brake right?

Works better too!
notacop likes this.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13
post #7 of 8 Old 05-09-2018, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec View Post
You know that there's a front brake right?

Works better too!
Lol... sure, thats what saved me, but using just the front in a middle of a sharp maneuver definitely throws the bike off balance, and makes for a very scary experience.

'12 DL650 ADV
'07 Victory Hammer
'06 Suzuki M50 (Traded)
post #8 of 8 Old 05-09-2018, 12:28 PM
Stromthusiast!

In winter, my '07 Wee experienced rear brake lever sticking. It needed lube, and was hard to get to it. At that time GW mentioned adding a grease fitting to the lever, which I didn't do.

Fast forward to my '12 Wee. Damage to lever caused lever replacement. I installed a grease fitting in the new one before install. Now nice and easy to lube, and a thorough lube job done too.

2007 Wee. Blue. Bought at 5K miles. Sold at 32K+ miles. Gone but not forgotten.

2012 Wee2 Adventure. Black. Bought at 26K miles. Now 45K+. Love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode