2013 DL650 Seat options - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 05-03-2018, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
2013 DL650 Seat options

Hi all,

Summer is coming back around again and I'm planning some more rides. A few years ago I took my stock DL650 from southern California to Vancouver, Canada (and back). I quickly realized that the stock seat was not made for long rides and have continued to use it since. I'm usually riding up north through national parks and putting about 500 miles on in a day.

This year I'm planning on hitting up a few trips that are a few thousand round trip and was wondering if anyone has and recommendations on some comfortable seats. I must admit that I'm getting tired of constantly sliding forward on my stock seat.

Thanks,

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-03-2018, 02:07 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjerrain View Post
Hi all,

Summer is coming back around again and I'm planning some more rides. A few years ago I took my stock DL650 from southern California to Vancouver, Canada (and back). I quickly realized that the stock seat was not made for long rides and have continued to use it since. I'm usually riding up north through national parks and putting about 500 miles on in a day.

This year I'm planning on hitting up a few trips that are a few thousand round trip and was wondering if anyone has and recommendations on some comfortable seats. I must admit that I'm getting tired of constantly sliding forward on my stock seat.

Thanks,

Joe

A bit pricey but worth the investment, I got one, and it’s first class seating.

Russel Day-Long Sólo half moon,

Take a look
https://day-long.com/gallery/suzuki/

CcsCourierMiami
post #3 of 20 Old 05-03-2018, 05:17 AM
Stromthusiast!

Seat Concepts is the way I went with my seat. I got the firm foam option, since I'm a bigger heavier guy. Made the bike much more tolerable on 12-14 hour days, and certainly solved the sliding forward issue. Not saying I don't get monkey butt after 14 hours, but at least I'm not dieing.
Thighrod likes this.

post #4 of 20 Old 05-03-2018, 07:54 AM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

You will see several different "brands" written about before this thread winds down.

Some people can ride a board all day and swear it is ok. If you are NOT one of those, there is still a lot of seats to choose from and many are not really all that much better than stock.

You can buy a Sargent or Corbin that is a direct fit. Keep your old seat. You can get kits that you install on your stock seat. Don't consider pads or cushions, they are a band aid that falls way short for serious touring.

There are several seat "makers" that will take your stock seat and completely reform it and make a new cover. This means sending in your seat and being without it for several weeks on average.

Most owners that swear by new in box seats and especially kit seats don't ride high mile days. I mean 600+ mile days and doing that for more than one day. See, there is the difference. If your butt is sore at the end of the day, but you survived, then by 2 hours into the ride tomorrow you will be in agony.

Go to ANY Iron Butt Rally and look at the seats these owners have equipped their machines with. The vast majority will be Russell Day-Long seats. Custom seats that simply have no equal in long distance, long hour riding. You can get these done for about $400 for a Strom.

I used to spend a fortune trying different seats and pads. Now I simply spend the money up front for each bike and get a Russell seat. I will say that I have wondered if the Terry Adcox seats might be a very good alternative if a cheaper cost is the only thing you can do at the time.
Big B likes this.

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
post #5 of 20 Old 05-03-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Garage
I've been looking at a few options from the foam/gel pads to bead-riders. I think my biggest concern is I'm 6'5'' 250lbs. I'd like to just spend the cash and get something that's going to be comfortable right off the bat if not within a few thousand by the sound of it. I may still buy a bead-rider just to see how it works out.

Thanks for the input, I'll check out the Russell day-long seats.

joe
post #6 of 20 Old 05-03-2018, 12:04 PM
Stromthusiast!

Location: Seattle in the summer and East Cape, Baja in the winter. Perfect!
Garage
Second the Seat Concept suggestion. Totally happy with mine. And I actually enjoyed installing it with a cheap harbor freight staple gun.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-03-2018, 12:34 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I bought a Russell Day Long and have never again even thought about comfort. It will probably mean that I will ride a lot more, be happy with my bike and keep it for a very long time.

NewStrom
post #8 of 20 Old 05-03-2018, 01:15 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjerrain View Post
I've been looking at a few options from the foam/gel pads to bead-riders. I think my biggest concern is I'm 6'5'' 250lbs. I'd like to just spend the cash and get something that's going to be comfortable right off the bat if not within a few thousand by the sound of it. I may still buy a bead-rider just to see how it works out.

Thanks for the input, I'll check out the Russell day-long seats.

joe
Seat Concepts has a tall option that you'd be a good candidate for.
post #9 of 20 Old 05-04-2018, 01:02 PM
Stromthusiast!

I bought a Seat Concepts kit last year and was quite disappointed - it didn't make all that much difference. I then bought a Luimoto Gold gel pad and had it professionally installed in the Seat Concepts foam. Again, very marginal gains for the price I paid. Due to the crappy exchange rate, duties and installation costs I'm into the stock seat pan for over $600.00 I use an Alaska Leather sheepskin butt pad on top of it all now and I can usually get about 1.5 hours of riding in before I have to either stand up or get off.
On June 1st I have a ride-in appointment with Russel Day-Long. I'm counting on the ride back to Vancouver BC being far more pleasant than the trip down. if it isn't... I might have to start thinking about a different bike.

Dave
post #10 of 20 Old 05-04-2018, 03:55 PM
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevD View Post
I bought a Seat Concepts kit last year and was quite disappointed - it didn't make all that much difference. I then bought a Luimoto Gold gel pad and had it professionally installed in the Seat Concepts foam. Again, very marginal gains for the price I paid. Due to the crappy exchange rate, duties and installation costs I'm into the stock seat pan for over $600.00 I use an Alaska Leather sheepskin butt pad on top of it all now and I can usually get about 1.5 hours of riding in before I have to either stand up or get off.
On June 1st I have a ride-in appointment with Russel Day-Long. I'm counting on the ride back to Vancouver BC being far more pleasant than the trip down. if it isn't... I might have to start thinking about a different bike.

Dave
I hear stories like yours on other forums.

Your problems will be solved at Russell. You will confirm this on the ride home.

This is why I say a Russell Day Long seat is NOT expensive. You will get more use, enjoyment, and satisfaction out of the bike with a quality seat. Pay once and done. Or keep trying other miracle approaches.........

'12 DL 650 '14 BMW R 1200 RT

WERKS modified clutch baskets for DL and SV 1000's.
The BEST in chudder control, noise control, and lasting durability! AVAILABLE HERE: www.werksparts.com

Have questions about the clutch in your DL or SV 1000? E-mail Terry [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode