After an accident: Is this a bent frame? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 05-01-2018, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

After an accident: Is this a bent frame?

Hey all,

I started another thread where I went into some detail about a pretty serious accident I was in over the weekend. Luckily, the others involved weren't injured at all and I came out pretty unscathed.

On the surface, the bike seemed to fare pretty well, but when accessing the damage in more detail, I noticed what looks like a bent frame...

See the attached images.

When sitting on the bike, I don't notice that the orientation seems off. But the view from the rear is definitely concerning. What do you guys think?

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180501_132625385.jpg (12.6 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180501_133020832.jpg (13.5 KB, 154 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-01-2018, 05:25 PM
Stromthusiast!

The luggage racks look bent for sure. Hopefully the frame is ok.
post #3 of 24 Old 05-01-2018, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

The luggage racks are definitely bent. The orientation of the whole bike looks off to me, though. After the accident, I only had to ride home for about 2 miles and did so at a low speed.

Nothing really stuck out to me in terms of the 'feel' of the bike, but there's no denying what can be seen in those pictures.

There was damage to the tail light as well, which became partially dislodged from it's housing, so maybe it's just that that whole piece of the body in the back shifted?

Last edited by davidp80; 05-01-2018 at 05:38 PM.

post #4 of 24 Old 05-01-2018, 05:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Looks like the luggage racks took most of the abuse and saved the bike. The fender is tweeked, but that may be the luggage frames pushing on it. It's possible that the rear subframe is bent, but I wouldn't assume anything else is bent. Take the racks off and see what pops back.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-01-2018, 05:56 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp80 View Post
Hey all,

I started another thread where I went into some detail about a pretty serious accident I was in over the weekend. Luckily, the others involved weren't injured at all and I came out pretty unscathed.

On the surface, the bike seemed to fare pretty well, but when accessing the damage in more detail, I noticed what looks like a bent frame...

See the attached images.

When sitting on the bike, I don't notice that the orientation seems off. But the view from the rear is definitely concerning. What do you guys think?

Dave

Is there a reason you wouldn't have the insurance company total the bike? The bike is pretty tweaked easily a couple thousand in damage. Typically insurance companies are quick to total a motorcycle.

You could always buy it back from them if you're emotionally attached.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Cor 13:13

Last edited by Spec; 05-01-2018 at 06:00 PM.
post #6 of 24 Old 05-01-2018, 05:58 PM
Stromthusiast!

I crashed in Utah and the luggage was destroyed but the factory rack came out unscathed. Your rack is less robust than the factory style. It may take some swearing and hammering and twisting to get the bags to hang right again.
The subframe could have problems too.
post #7 of 24 Old 05-01-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

@Spec : I only have liability insurance. All repairs are going to be out of pocket. The bike has less than 5,000 miles on it and was purchased less than a year ago.

@Bikehigh : Thanks for the optimistic response. I'll remove the racks tomorrow and see if the bike realigns. I have my doubts but would love it if that would solve the problem.

@notacop : Before I noticed the orientation was off, I was set on getting the rack back in order, as it only seems to be bent, but now I'm really not so much concerned as I've got the frame on my mind. The right pannier was crunched and was tossed.

Any other thoughts?
post #8 of 24 Old 05-01-2018, 06:14 PM
Stromthusiast!

The sub-frame (or what Suzuki calls the seat rail) is probably bent. The frame is pretty beefy and unlikely to be damaged, insurance co's propensity to "total" bikes notwithstanding. The sub-frame is a trellis-like grid of metal bars and much easier to twist or bend in a crash. Other riders have been able to bang it back into shape. The swingarm could be bent but it is pretty sturdy too. Sight the rear wheel alignment with the front wheel and check the chain isn't bowed in one direction or the other. If it passes those tests its probably the sub-frame.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg index1.jpg (10.2 KB, 220 views)

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc
post #9 of 24 Old 05-01-2018, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Thanks, @dmfdmf .

Sounds like the sub-frame is a likely culprit.

I see that they run about $418 on Cheap Cycle Parts - see attached image. I'm guessing this is an install that I'm unlikely to be able to do myself, in the event that it is bent. I'm still a newbie with tools and motorcycle mechanics.

Has anyone replaced the sub-frame themselves? I'm curious about how involved of a job it is, i.e. how long it's going to take a mechanic to do it at the shop, i.e how much it's going to cost.

Thanks for your help, everyone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2018-05-01 at 4.21.52 PM.jpg (19.8 KB, 20 views)
post #10 of 24 Old 05-01-2018, 07:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp80 View Post
Sounds like the sub-frame is a likely culprit.
You'll need to pull some (mostly plastic) parts to confirm but seems likely, especially in a crash with side cases. Cases will put lateral forces on the sub-frame in a crash which it really isn't designed to take.

Quote:
I see that they run about $418 on Cheap Cycle Parts - see attached image. I'm guessing this is an install that I'm unlikely to be able to do myself, in the event that it is bent.
Replacing it seems like overkill to me, its not a structural component. Its just there to hold up the rear fender and your rear end. You and two of your beefiest friends can probably wrestle it back into alignment or close to it with cargo straps, come-along or some other contraption without removing it from the bike. Its an opportunity to be creative (and cheap). It won't effect the ride, tire alignment, handling, etc. if its off a little but if you can get it straight enough it should be fine.

Quote:
I'm still a newbie with tools and motorcycle mechanics.
No time like the present to learn.

Quote:
Has anyone replaced the sub-frame themselves? I'm curious about how involved of a job it is, i.e. how long it's going to take a mechanic to do it at the shop, i.e how much it's going to cost.
If you can't DIY then your bike is very nearly totaled if you have to pay someone else to do the work. You'd be better off stripping the parts/farkles that you want for your next bike and selling the carcass as a parts bike on ebay/CL if you have to pay someone to do the work. Sorry.

One non-moto tip; you should step away from the bike and not think about it or work on it or make any fix/sell decisions for at least a week. You just had a bad wreck and you need to decompress before you make any decisions. You sound like you still might be a little amped up.

Pink Floyd: And did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current: 2014 V-Strom DL650 ABS Red
Next Up: ?
Past: Suzuki: DL650AK7, GS400; Honda: CB125, Express 49cc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode