Twitchy throttle - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-30-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Twitchy throttle

Seems my ‘14 wee is a bit twitchy at low speeds. Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-30-2018, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Have you checked/adjusted your throttle linkages and free play? The 650's are known for being incredibly smooth and linear, twitchy throttle is more of a 1000 thing.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 15 Old 04-30-2018, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

I just bought it Saturday. It has 1500 miles so its likely new and needing adjustment. I have a Vee and its always had a PCFC module so never any twitch.

It only occcurs at low speed <15 mph

post #4 of 15 Old 05-01-2018, 01:39 AM
Stromthusiast!

I have the same thing on my '12 Wee and searching the forums it seems to be a common issue. The most common theory about the cause is that the fuel map is a bit lean at low rpm. There are many solutions floating around, from adding a resistor in the temp sensor (makes the bike think it is colder so kinda puts the choke on, but it is on all the time...) to more sophisticated "smart" electronic add-ons to do the same thing but better, and through to Power Commander, with Throttle Tamers on the side. My solution has been to rest one or two fingers on the top of the brake lever to steady my hand a bit - seems to be working fine so far.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-01-2018, 05:55 AM
Stromthusiast!

One action you can take that will not eradicate the abruptness at low throttle settings, but will help you to overcome it. That is to take as much slack/freeplay out of the throttle cables as possible without affecting tickover. My Tech did that with my 1000DL and it helped.
Brockie and erci like this.

Its never too late to have a happy childhood
post #6 of 15 Old 05-01-2018, 06:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I find when I get that twitchy, lurky feeling, something needs adjusted. Throttle cables and/or chain are the usual suspects.
erci likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-01-2018, 07:04 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff2 View Post
One action you can take that will not eradicate the abruptness at low throttle settings, but will help you to overcome it. That is to take as much slack/freeplay out of the throttle cables as possible without affecting tickover. My Tech did that with my 1000DL and it helped.
+1! Just be sure to turn the handlebar lock to lock while feeling for free play. If there's any tug on throttle cable, you may end up with Toyota.. aka unintended acceleration.

The other important thing: make sure your chain sag is set correctly. Too much sag can exacerbate twitchy throttle, but be sure it's not too tight either.
Griff2 likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-01-2018, 07:45 AM
$tromtrooper

I think it's just nature of the bike, fuel mapping. At slow speeds the throttle is like a light switch, either on or off, so you're either accelerating or decelerating, very difficult to maintain a steady speed. It helps to ride in a higher gear and sometimes I find myself working the clutch to smooth it out. As others have mentioned too much throttle play makes it worse.

post #9 of 15 Old 05-01-2018, 07:47 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynlcut View Post
I find when I get that twitchy, lurky feeling, something needs adjusted. Throttle cables and/or chain are the usual suspects.
You beat me to it.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-01-2018, 07:52 AM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSrider View Post
I think it's just nature of the bike, fuel mapping. At slow speeds the throttle is like a light switch, either on or off, so you're either accelerating or decelerating, very difficult to maintain a steady speed. It helps to ride in a higher gear and sometimes I find myself working the clutch to smooth it out. As others have mentioned too much throttle play makes it worse.
Brakes can also be used to smooth throttle tip in. I'm so used to trail braking and getting on the throttle as I'm easily off the brake(s) that twitching is never an issue really. In a straight line (say in slow town traffic), light application of rear brake can be used before applying throttle and then easily off the brake. Once this becomes habit, you can make any bike feel incredibly smooth. Of course there's nothing wrong with clutch feathering too.

And if you think this bike is twitchy, have a go on Yamaha FZ-09.. particularly 1st model year. Talk about ON/OFF stitch!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode