First REAL accident: Details + need info on parts - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-30-2018, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

First REAL accident: Details + need info on parts

It happened.

I've been riding for 5 years and beat the odds until now. Until yesterday.

I was riding behind a Lexus SUV and saw a right-turn signal, slowed down slightly, veered farther to the left in my lane, preparing to pass by them, only to see them slowly start to turn left instead.

I couldn't avoid hitting them at that point. I smashed into the drivers side door head-on at 55 mph. Miraculously, the bike stayed upright and I stayed on the bike. My Strom bounced off the side of their car, crossed over the left hand lane and directly towards a large fence and various obstacles beyond. At that point every cell in my body was telling me to "put the bike down", which I did, as gracefully as I could, in that split second of pure instinct without thought.

I'll never forget the look on the faces of the people as they stepped out of their car....they thought I was dead. Not only was I not dead, but I was barely scratched and bruised! Counting my blessings for sure. First accident in 30,000 miles of driving.

The bike came out fairly well too, but definitely not unscathed. I've been babying her for the last 4000 miles, since I bought it with 500 on the odometer, and haven't put a scratch on it...So much for that!

I've got a 2014 650 Adventure, with the stock hard cases and rack. The smaller, right side case was totally crunched.

Time to re-build. To start, I'm looking to fix the major damage with the following parts:

1. Stock Suzuki hard case (smaller, right side) for the 650A.
2. Mounting rack for the above case, right side only.
3. Stock crash bar, right side only.
3. The matching set of gray fuel tank covers for both sides of the bike.

Any thoughts on the best places to pick up these big parts cheaply? Thanks!

Dave
Lrobby99 and chikosneff like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-30-2018, 04:31 PM
$tromtrooper

Garage
Lucky guy. Wearing proper gear, I take it?

2018 1000XT, black. The Night's Watch. Givi bars, Givi rear wheel mud guard, Givi radiator screen. Givi topcase Monokey. Puig screen, Freeway Blaster horn, Speedohealer. SW Motech R. brake reservoir guard. Tuono mirrors.
2006 DL1000, The Red Rhino. Gone for good.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-30-2018, 04:42 PM
Stromthusiast!

What may you get from the INS claim? Depending on who was at fault you may be compensated. I was in a similar accident in Utah. Being at fault, their company paid for the Aerostich, helmet, luggage, damaged bike parts, etc. i even got a lovely "pain and suffering" check when all was said and done. My injuries from the incident were minor. The heart attack and stent 2 weeks later were the bother!
Still, I'm not dead yet! And the bike continues to run.
Hope your results are good too.
iamsmiling, BKP and chikosneff like this.

post #4 of 17 Old 04-30-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

@Lrobby99 : Not exactly. Long pants, half boots, t-shirt, and a helmet. My arms are pretty well road-rashed. Lesson learned.

@notacop : Despite seeing a right turn signal, the driver insisted he used his left signal, and in a situation like that, there's no way to prove the truth one way or another. In the midst of that, and having just survived what could have been a fatal accident, I volunteered responsibility. I didn't want to fight. Being responsible and having basic liability insurance, thus, I'll be paying out of pocket for my repairs. Sounds like you made out pretty well though....Sorry to hear about the heart attack. Take care of yourself, brother.

Anyone have any thoughts on where best to stock up on replacement parts? I've got a big trip coming up in July for a month and am not going to let this care me away. Thanks for the help, all!
post #5 of 17 Old 04-30-2018, 08:59 PM
BKP
Stromthusiast!

You might try Bike Bandit, or Partzilla. Their prices are below OEM. Ebay is always hit and miss...
Very glad to hear you walked away from that...

I keep a Drift Ghost attached and running on my helmet 100% of the time. Extra batteries, and extra microSDs in the tank bag... More for liability than recording the rides... Of course, my one major hit was from behind, and the cam faces forward...

Stay safe...

Barry
2017 Pearl White 650

AdventureTech lowering links and GPS mount
AdventureTech +2" SS braided brake line
Madstad windscreen
GPI spools, SW Motech risers
Givi XS307 Tanklock bag and Givi 46L top case
Suzuki hard case saddlebags
post #6 of 17 Old 04-30-2018, 09:37 PM
Stromthusiast!

I was lucky. I had a fellow rider as a witness and the LEO's found a turn signal non operational. Bingo, he be guilty.
post #7 of 17 Old 04-30-2018, 10:08 PM
Stromthusiast!

Quote:
Despite seeing a right turn signal, the driver insisted he used his left signal, and in a situation like that, there's no way to prove the truth one way or another.
A dash cam is worth its weight in gold in a situation like this.

www.tacpro.com
post #8 of 17 Old 04-30-2018, 11:06 PM
Stromthusiast!

"A dash cam is worth its weight in gold in a situation like this."
The cheapy I had died an early death but I really like the idea of a decent camera for these occasions.
post #9 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 02:20 AM
Stromthusiast!

Glad you made it out OK!

Haven't had an auto collision in my life on any motorcycle (yet?) Had a few small dingers in the cages though.

I'm a fleabay fan all the way. I also have just liability only.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!

Last edited by D.T.; 05-01-2018 at 10:47 AM.
post #10 of 17 Old 05-01-2018, 10:16 AM
Stromthusiast!

Glad you're OK. That sounds like it could have been a lot uglier. To your question: when I rebuilt my wrecked Wee, I had very good luck with salvage yards online. Here's two: ajcyclesalvage.com and motorcyclepartsconnection.com. The latter is a network search service. I got great deals off such a service a few years ago for stuff I was really struggling to find. Good luck with the rebuild and good on you for getting right back on that horse.
richlandrick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode