Used 2013 or new 2014 - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 04-29-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Used 2013 or new 2014

Hi Everyone. I'm looking to pick up a second bike. I currently have a Harley XG750 (Street 750). It was an ok bike to get me into the Harley ecosystem, and I'm going to keep it for at least another season. But I want something to take on longer, all day adventures.

I found a 2013 Adventure with 6500 miles for $6000. I could probably get the price down a little because it's actually at the Harley dealer where I bought mine. It looks all stock with and has the hard factory cases.

Another place has a new 2014 leftover non Adventure model for the same price. I'm sure they would add on a bunch of fees though seeing as it's still brand new.

And I also found a new 2017 Versys for $6600 out the door (plus tax).

I guess my question is what kind of maintenance will be due soon for the 2013 with 6500 miles? If I bought the new 2014, or even the Versys I'd still have to buy the bags, which is an additional expense.

The type of riding I will be doing is 90% paved roads, with an occasional dirt road here and there.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-29-2018, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
No maintenance is due on the 13, and that dealer is on crack for that price.........Versys are nice but they are not as touring or off road capable as a Strom IMHO.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #3 of 27 Old 04-29-2018, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Longer trips are definitely on the agenda, and one of the reasons I was leaning towards the DL650A. But I will test ride them both before buying.

What do you think a good offer would be for that bike? I'm having a hard time find used models in my area, even on CraigsList.

post #4 of 27 Old 04-29-2018, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
No idea what your area is, and there are some great Stroms for sale here on the forum. That 13 is around a $4500/$4700 bike, and it is at a Harley dealer and won't sell anytime soon if ever. You cannot access the 4 sale section here yet because you are new, but I could always do my magic if you wanted access.

Good luck with test rides, it's almost impossible if a dealership is selling the bike, but many private sales may consider that. IMHO you will like the Stroms better, and yes I have ridden the Versys and it's a fun sporty/nimble bike for sure. The 650 Strom has the best engine between the 2 bar none, and they run a very long time as well.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

Last edited by Big B; 04-29-2018 at 05:26 PM.
post #5 of 27 Old 04-29-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

I'm in Northwest PA, kind of in the middle of Cleveland, Pittsburgh and Buffalo. I don't mind traveling a few hundred miles though to get a better deal, so if I had access to the for sale section it would be greatly appreciated.
post #6 of 27 Old 04-29-2018, 08:26 PM
Stromthusiast!

That new leftover 2014 might can be had for less than you think. It’s four model years old, and with the newest generation in its second year, the dealer surely is looking to unload it. Might see if you can get some panniers, top case or other items thrown into the deal.
post #7 of 27 Old 04-29-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstrom46* View Post
That new leftover 2014 might can be had for less than you think. It’s four model years old, and with the newest generation in its second year, the dealer surely is looking to unload it. Might see if you can get some panniers, top case or other items thrown into the deal.
That's a good idea too. I bought a bike several years ago and they threw in a jacket and helmet. Wasn't the greatest jacket in the world but it was free. Well, "free" is more like it but it made me feel like I was getting something for nothing.
post #8 of 27 Old 04-29-2018, 10:50 PM
Stromthusiast!

Do some research first. Check cycle trader and e-bay completed auctions.

This is the worst time in the year around here to buy, so unless you are desperate giving it a little time will end you with a better deal.

There is a 2012 in MI with a lot of good farkles: https://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/406...adventure.html

Can you see that post with this link?

And another 2016 for 5900: https://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/404...-abs-sale.html

If you can't see them plead with BigB for access.

Blau1 2004 DL650-sold
Blau2 2014 DL1000A
post #9 of 27 Old 04-29-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

CycleTrader was one of the first things I checked for comparison prices. They all seemed in line with what I was seeing but Big B thinks they are still asking too much. I forgot about checking eBay. I can see the links so thanks BigB for the access.

I'm not in a big rush, but you live in the same area I do and you know how it goes as soon as the weather gets nice.
post #10 of 27 Old 04-30-2018, 03:54 AM
aka Rick in Alabama

Garage
Another vote for the '13 being overpriced. If planning to spend $6K, I'd go with the new '14.

And if you are looking for pre-owned, for the same $6k and some patience you can find a barely broken in garage queen '14 Adventure with the factory hard panniers and probably some other amenities. Personally, I'd keep looking.

Current ride: 2001 GL1800; Gone away: 5 BMW's, 4 Honda's, 3 Suzuki's
------------
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -Marcus Aurelius
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode