Pricing for 14,500 mile service or can I do myself? - Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums
DL650A - 2012-2016 DL650A 2012-2016 (L2-L6)

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-23-2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

Pricing for 14,500 mile service or can I do myself?

Good Morning,

I have some questions. I wanted to know what is a good price if I have the dealer do the 14,500 mile service? Is this a service I can do or should I have the dealer do it?

Oil change? Do you recommend synthetic? and if so do you recommend the OEM?

I'm not due for awhile but I want to get all my ducks in a row.

Thanks,

Don
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-23-2018, 11:28 AM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
I don't think you can ask about oil here. That is why there is the big oil thread with 2300 posts. Even after you have read them you can only ask there. I am planning on doing all my 14500 mile maintenance with the exception of the valve clearance check. Even that I think the check is easier than the adjust. The rest of the items seem rather tedious but not difficult. I really do wonder if the shop is really going to lube/grease all locations listed and snug all those fasteners? I do go over fasteners regularly and find a few loose or missing.

One question I have for all. I have not snugged my exhaust fasteners. How critical? Do people do it?

Keith
Doncscs likes this.
post #3 of 21 Old 04-23-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Stromthusiast!

So having manuals are key then correct? I'm wondering what they would cost to just have them to the valve and valve adjust and I do everything else?

thanks

post #4 of 21 Old 04-23-2018, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Lots of great info here on how to perform the valve check and adjustment, but yes I highly recommend the factory service manual. NO there are no digital downloads allowed here or links to pirated manuals, but what you do by PM with other members is up to you. I am at 17K on my 650 and haven't had the valves checked yet, honestly I'm not the least bit concerned and will do it around 20K.
Doncscs likes this.

BRIAN "GO Buckeyes, GO Wildcats"!

2015 DL650 XT "Hector"

1997 Honda Valkyrie 1500 custom “Dolores”

post #5 of 21 Old 04-23-2018, 12:01 PM
Moderating in moderation

Recently did my 14,500, it's really easy just time consuming. Getting the radiator out and then back in was the only trouble I had and it wasn't that difficult.
Doncscs likes this.

2015 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 bought new 4/26/17
2015 Victory Cross Country bought new 7/11/15 (dyno tuned 118hp 116tq)
If it's not broken, make it better
My take on oil: Name brand, wet clutch compatible.....BAM good to go.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-23-2018, 12:03 PM
Stromthusiast!

Garage
You would want the service manuals. I don't think you will find a good copy online legal or otherwise. I am thinking one or two service items and it would pay for itself. Otherwise you are just guessing on getting at things, torques, reassembly. I would not buy it if you do not have the tools or serious intent to do the work. Even just simple things like getting wheels off for tire changes saves money vs. paying dealer. My dealer wants 75 bucks each to swap a tire on bike vs. 25 to mount tire off bike. I should learn to mount but just haven't taken the plunge yet. Fork oil, coolant, brake fluids are all going to add up if you pay for service and the bike is gone while being done. I also like the peace of mind knowing everything is buttoned up and done right (any doubt and you need to sort it before riding) and if I have to deal with some issue (cables, flat, battery) I have some familiarity with the items. Now if you are not mechanically inclined or equipped maybe it is not for you. For me half the fun is tinkering around with this machine.

I want my dealer to make a fair profit and be able to keep qualified mechanics on staff and trained but I would not pay dealer to lower pegs, replace windscreen, add tool tube, install risers, install fork brace, replace horn, replace pegs, install top case, replace locks, install tank ring..........

Make sure that rear caliper is properly slotted in the swingarm btw when mounting rear wheel.

kfh000
Doncscs likes this.

Last edited by kfh000; 04-23-2018 at 12:07 PM. Reason: caliper not caliber
post #7 of 21 Old 04-24-2018, 03:16 PM
Stromthusiast!

Haynes makes an excellent manual for the DL650, if you find the FSM unavailable or too costly for the content. FWIW, my valves were within spec ~14k, but all four exhaust valves needed adjustment at ~26k. The rest is routine maintenance that a rider should be expected to handle, I would think.
kd70qc and Doncscs like this.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-25-2018, 03:04 AM
Stromthusiast!
Junior Trooper

Do it yourself, anyone can check valve clearances, if you need to pull the cams and adjust them you probably still can do it yourself - follow the manual, it's like assembling ikea furniture.

It's a long job but it's an expensive one at a mechanics so I suppose it depends how much you value your time over your money/ how much you like getting oily. Mostly you'll tend to find they only need checking at 14.5k on bucket over shim types.
Big B and Doncscs like this.
post #9 of 21 Old 04-25-2018, 08:01 AM
BKP
Stromthusiast!

Service manuals pay for themselves... everything from proper torque of all fasteners to part listings and schematics for disassembly/assembly... it's almost tough to not get it right if you paint by the numbers... The only reason for not doing most of your own maintenance is if you don't have the time, and perhaps not wanting to buy a couple of decent tools (but, your first major maintenance would have paid for those... more than once...or twice...).

As for oil, here's some light 'bathroom' reading: https://www.stromtrooper.com/235916-post1.html
Doncscs likes this.

[B][I]Barry[/I]
2017 Pearl White 650[/B]
AdventureTech lowering links and GPS mount
AdventureTech +2" SS braided brake line
Madstad windscreen
GPI spools, SW Motech risers
Givi XS307 Tanklock bag and Givi 46L top case
Suzuki hard case saddlebags
post #10 of 21 Old 04-25-2018, 09:45 AM
Stromthusiast!

You may be able to get the Haynes manual at the library.

Or use Youtube for mechanical advice.

Or use this site for how to's.

If you are a total nOOb I'd start small and take your time. When it gets too tough bring it to someone else.

Anyone have a get together that can help with repairs locally? Tech day etc..
Doncscs likes this.

2012 Suzuki DL650AL2, over 45k miles already!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Stromtrooper Forum : Suzuki V-Strom Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode